Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-05, 08:31 PM   #1
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52
Default chunking weightless plastics

okay,
im sure that this question has been asked, but is a med. heavy spinnning rod an overkill for chunking weightless plastics, and also does anyone use ultralight tackle with wieghtless practice, and what baits, lately i have been using the 3x zero and the tiki bamboo, i would liek to buy some kinami flash or tiki sticks
any replys are appreciated.
-powerbass
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 08:37 PM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: chunking weightless plastics

No way is a medium heavy rod to much for weightless plastics, that's my rod of choice. Remember the rod is for pulling the fish out, and getting a good hookset. The MH helps get through the plastic, and the fishes mouth. It also allows you to horse the fish out of the thickest stuff you get into. The only thing a med rod or lighter "COULD" do is possibly give you a little more distance, from it loading up as you cast it. But I wouldn't give up the benefits for a few more inches or feet for that matter. Weightless is my #1 way to fish. You want a good stiff rod, and stiff line, to feel everything the plastic does.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:00 PM   #3
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

Have to second what Lizards said. Most of my stuff is MH. Most of my fishing with plastics, and that is my favorite way to fish, is weightless. I will occasionally use a split shot if fishing deeper, but I try to go without.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:12 PM   #4
inland27
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to inland27

I like to use a beefy rod as well. I use my c-rig rod for this application. I've personally been having good luck with heavy t-rigged tubes and beavers over creature types, as of late. I think it the stained , cooler temp water that is making the chunkier baits fished slow a better choice than the more lively baits. That's me though. What do I know?

Boldt
inland27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:14 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Nope. I chunk them with a baitcaster on a heavy action rod. MH will work nicely.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:38 PM   #6
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1112139079;start=0#4 date=03/29/05 at 19:14:59]Nope. Â*I chunk them with a baitcaster on a heavy action rod. Â*MH will work nicely.[/quote]

reb,
i cant cast weightless on a baitcaster, it usuallt creates a backlash so bad, i have to quit fishing for 15 -30 minutes to fix it.
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:42 PM   #7
bigcheese43
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigcheese43

im with u powerbass. if its too light it cant cast it worth crap. any ideas on how to help me cast it a bit better with out backlashing?
bigcheese43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 10:18 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Use a spinning rig for weightless plastics or a spincaster. You have got to be about a pro to use a baitcaster with weightless plasitcs. On top of that you will never get the distance on a baitcaster as you will with a spinning rig. Use the right tool for the job as Cajun so nicely puts it.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 10:57 PM   #9
tinboat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to tinboat

Powerbass,

I know your mad at me for the rude stuff I was saying,but like I said I'M SORRY! Anyway I think I would most deffanatlly use a med.heavy action rod for fishing anything.You nevernow when your gonna hook that 10+ bass.
tinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 12:41 AM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

I was surprised I could do it. I really think the reel makes all the difference-It wasn't until I moved up to a better quality reel that I was able to.
Old 03-30-05, 01:20 AM   #11
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

As long as you got a good reel, you can chunk light lures with ease amost regardless of the rod action. Thats why I love BPS extremes, they cast weightless lures as far as they do weighted ones.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 01:26 AM   #12
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=HulaPopr link=board=news;num=1112139079;start=0#10 date=03/29/05 at 23:20:47]As long as you got a good reel, you can chunk light lures with ease amost regardless of the rod action. Â*Thats why I love BPS extremes, they cast weightless lures as far as they do weighted ones.[/quote]

That's why I use them ;D
Old 03-30-05, 09:38 AM   #13
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

As for the "what baits" part of your post......

Most any bait works well weightless, but my personal preference starts with a Zoom Ultra Vibe Speedworm with the tail clipped off and texposed on a 2/0 offset shank worm hook....weightless. Â*Casts like a bullet, skips well when wanted, and can be wacky rigged and fished that way as well. Â*Most often, I let it sink to bottom.....much slower on the fall than the senko and other heavily salted baits.......if the bass doesn't get it on the fall, I let it set for 25 seconds and then slowly lift it two feet to feel for fish....if nothing, let re-fall and let set for 15 seconds...after lifting to feel for the second time.....and finding nothing on....reel in and re-cast to another likely spot. Â*I use a pencil soldering iron to weld the tails sideways....horazontally to the end of a super fluke....makes a topwater buzzbait and tips the weightless fluke body like a fish struggling on the pull. Â*Still maintains the fluke wafting fall when deadsticking. Â*For replacing lizard tails to make them topwaters also, be sure to include a little of the speedworm body with the tail and weld this tail vertically.

WATERMELON/RED (WATERMELON WITH RED GLITTER) FOR THE SPEEDWORMS.....PEARL WHITE FOR FLUKE OR ICE, GREEN PUMPKIN FOR LIZARD WORKS WONDERS LOCALLY......WATERMELON RED FOR THE WORM FOR SURE!!!!

Good Fishing, Mac
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.