Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-05, 02:46 PM   #1
buzzb8er
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to buzzb8er
Default Jig Heads

First, I have to rant for a second. Why can't the manufacturer clean the paint from the eyelet? > Now my question. Any tips on how to remove the paint from the eyelet that does not involve nearly impaling yourself with a hook? Thanks.
brobrian
buzzb8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 03:03 PM   #2
NorthNJangler
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to NorthNJangler
Default Re: Jig Heads

Get a jig buster I got one in a kit my wife gave that had clippers and hook file. Rapala makes one

NorthNJangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 03:15 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

dont waste your money on those specially made ones.....just take a safety pin, or your hook point of another hook and stick it in there and clean it out 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 05:37 PM   #4
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

they make small tools to do it, but i just use a hook.
Old 06-20-05, 08:52 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

The hook idea works well, but before I do that I grab the jig eye with a pair of needlenose pliers, work it baca and forth to bust the paint, then use the hook point. The pliers will loosen the paint on the eye to a point where you won't impale yourself on the hook point.

That said, I recently got one of those jig eyebuster tools and they are worth getting-cleans the eye out quick and easy.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 09:21 PM   #6
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

BroBrian, I always sharpen the hook, trim the skirt, and clean the eye before I put it in the tackle pack. I use the pliars and old hookpoint as Rebbasser, does, but now I think I will seek one of those eyebuster tools seeing it gets the nod from our very own Bass Professor Rebbasser. ;D ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 09:26 PM   #7
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I always sharpen every new hook I buy on crankbaits.
The worm hooks I'll fish a day first and then sharpen..
it only takes a second, and lots of times on baits like the rattle trap, i feel i can get a sharper edge than they come out of the pack....
I usually trim the weedguard on some, not all, and do the same with the skirt, also take the pork and cut diagonal lines across the body of the pork trailor, or take out some width of the trailor, to make it more flexible...its easy to do on a rainy day and have the pork trailor ready to go, plus I always make the pre punched hole they give ya bigger,
I hate like hell trying to get that off when I am packing everything up after a day of fishing,,some seem impossible to get off,,,and i dont carry the handy dandy pop off yer trailer tool, i get mad and cut if off before it tans LOL
8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 12:10 PM   #8
daveraynor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to daveraynor

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1119289584;start=0#2 date=06/20/05 at 14:15:55]just take a safety pin, or your hook point of another hook and stick it in there and clean it out 8)[/quote]
daveraynor is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.