Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-11, 10:50 AM   #1
sikwitit
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Do I need a boat?

i know i m just getting started bass fishing and i can just fish from the bank right know but i m sure if i wanna get serious about fishing, im prolly gonna need one. how long do u think i should wait before i get one? i dont wanna bite off more than i can chew if i m just getting started.
sikwitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 11:48 AM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

IF YOUR budget allows for a boat and all the other expenses that go along with a boat, then go for it. Nothing beats on the water experience. But plenty of guys back seat and have no problem with that. Look at local clubs to try to get some on the water time. Otherwise enjoy the bank and keep on fishing.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 12:10 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

Man, what a question to ask here...every time I've asked "Should I buy.....", most of the responses are "Do it, do it, do it!!!!"

You don't NEED a boat, no. But if you really think being a shore fisherman is limiting you too much, then sure, find you a cheap jon boat to start with, then upgrade later.

If I remember right, you're just starting into fishing, right? If that's the case, I definitely wouldn't sink money into a boat until you're sure that this is something you'll stick with. Fishing may be something you enjoy for a few months, then the novelty wears off and you move on to other pursuits. If you have a friend or somebody that has a boat, I'd go fishing with them as much as possible.
Old 04-06-11, 12:23 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Man, what a question to ask here...every time I've asked "Should I buy.....", most of the responses are "Do it, do it, do it!!!!"

You don't NEED a boat, no. But if you really think being a shore fisherman is limiting you too much, then sure, find you a cheap jon boat to start with, then upgrade later.

If I remember right, you're just starting into fishing, right? If that's the case, I definitely wouldn't sink money into a boat until you're sure that this is something you'll stick with. Fishing may be something you enjoy for a few months, then the novelty wears off and you move on to other pursuits. If you have a friend or somebody that has a boat, I'd go fishing with them as much as possible.
+1

Couldnt agree more....I have no idea what your budget is,but Kayak fishing is another option...One that Im strongly considering to get off the banks...and maybe a little exercise
Old 04-06-11, 01:02 PM   #5
Raul

You can be serious about bass fishing from the bank.

Having a flotation device ( float tube, pontoon, kayak, canoe, boat ) offers you many advantages, you are no longer achored to what you can cover by walking, but need like if it were a must, no, not really.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 01:03 PM   #6
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you will fish more if you have a boat..yes you need a boat. only thing you will regret is the cost.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 01:29 PM   #7
sikwitit
BassFishin.Com Member

i was thinking about getting a jon boat just to get around the lake. i know im not gonna a nitro boat or something like that.
Old 04-06-11, 02:14 PM   #8
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwitit View Post
i was thinking about getting a jon boat just to get around the lake. i know im not gonna a nitro boat or something like that.
That's a great plan. You can actually customize a jon boat pretty well by adding a trolling motor, an Igloo cooler as a livewell, etc.
There are tons of people that have jon boats leaned against the side of their house or garage that don't want or need them anymore...drive around some neighborhoods looking for them, and ask the homeowner if he'd be willing to part with it. Somebody might just give it away...
Old 04-06-11, 02:21 PM   #9
sikwitit
BassFishin.Com Member

ok cool. thanks for the help.
Old 04-06-11, 02:45 PM   #10
BBD
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Also, search craigs list for a Jon boat! I found a 10ft Tracker topper that was a year old in new condition. It came with a year old trolling motor, battery, and charger for 250 bucks! He had receipts for it all! The boat also had a title with it too!

Let me break that down for you to put things into perspective:

Brand new 10ft Tracker Topper from Bass Pro Shops = $500.00
Brand new 40lbs Min-kota trolling motor from bass pro = $209.00
Brand new marine batter from Wal-mart = $60.00
Brand new charger = $50.00

Totals out to: $809.00 if it was bought new.

You can find deals, you just have to be patient and look.
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 05:39 PM   #11
M_A_C_K

Get a cheap canoe... You can fish just as well with a canoe and a paddle as someone with sonar if you have good intuition lol... I have an aluminum frame flat back canoe and its really easy to paddle. Just make sure you get/make an anchor otherwise you'll be blown about. Plus unpowered canoes and kayaks don't need registration so you could be on the water within minutes of spending a few bucks.
M_A_C_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 05:51 PM   #12
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post

Fishing may be something you enjoy for a few months, then the novelty wears off and you move on to other pursuits
i have to disagree with u here

this damn monkey won't get off my back & keeps coming back with reinforcements especially after a successful day of fishing. winter gets worse because monkeys don't hibernate
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 06:26 PM   #13
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think you've got your answer. If you want to be able to cover areas your unable to fish from shore you'll need some way to get there. Having a boat, canoe, kyak, tube, whatever will allow you to expand your fishing tremendously. But your new, so do not spend a lot of money on a fancy boat for now. Be sure your committed to the sport first. I purchased a 12 foot jon in order to fish the area lakes which are not very large. The back of the truck hauled it around untill my back said get a trailer, and I did. I'm still using that boat although I wish I could afford a larger better boat now. Maybe someday. But the small jon gets me into places that a larger boat is hard to launch. If I could do it over again I would start with a 14/48 jon as I find my 12/36 is very cramped when I have all my junk in the boat, especially if I have a partner for the day.
Old 04-06-11, 07:52 PM   #14
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

You definitely need to get off those banks!
I fished from shore for years and was extremely limited on the amount of fish I could get to.
I put a little hard shell plastic 2 seater in the water and bye bye shore fishing.
Keep your options open would be my advice. Small boat, kayak, canoe...they all have advantages and disadvantages. Mostly depends on the type of areas you fish, and how you plan to haul it.
I started yak fishing last summer, in a borrowed yak. I just bought one for myself a month or so ago. Don't know if I'll ever put the boat in the water again.

Check with any friends that fish, or just hang out at the boat ramps, see what type of craft people are using. Feel free to ask them why they use what they use. Most will help
Old 04-06-11, 07:59 PM   #15
Marty

Like others have said, start small with a john boat, kayak, canoe or something else that's small and inexpensive. When it's time to move up to something bigger, faster and more powerful, you won't need to ask us, you'll know.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 08:19 PM   #16
flukefreak
BassFishin.Com Member

sik i fish out of a 14 ft jon boat in every lake around our parts and for local lakes its really all you will EVER need.now if you wanna fish lakes like west point,oconee, sinclair or jackson then you may want something bigger ,but for the local reservoirs a small jon boat is perfect.i agree with the other guys about where to look,Craigslist is full of boats for cheap 100-400 dollars all day long.bought mine for 200 bucks and i tricked it out a little myself for about 100 bucks and i got a sweet lil rig.I tell ya what send me a pm and we will get together and we can go try out a few local spots i know
flukefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 08:41 PM   #17
bamabassman

lie everyone else ehre, a flat bottom rig is jsut fine for MOST lakes. my (just my opion here) only problem is when the water gets a little rough. otherwise, even on large inpoundments, flats are good for anyone.
Old 04-06-11, 08:48 PM   #18
M_A_C_K

I bought me a poncho so i can fish when it rains now too... i need to get some frog toggs tho.
Old 04-06-11, 10:46 PM   #19
sikwitit
BassFishin.Com Member

that was my goal from the start, just to get a simple jon boat. i know i wont be the next KVD,lol, so i dont think i will need a nitro. but i was wondering( correct me if i am wrong). why is it that everytime i am watching a fishing show and they are on a boat but they always fish from the bank back the middle where the boat is and they have success. but you cant have much success fishing from the bank. hopefuly my qustion makes sense.
Old 04-06-11, 11:04 PM   #20
M_A_C_K

I would guess because the babys or fry hang out in shallower water and would go deeper not the other way around? There may be multiple reasons? lol
Old 04-07-11, 01:47 AM   #21
cassidyta

A couple of things I will say. Asking this group if you need a boat is like asking an alcoholic if you need a drink. The crowd here is obviously very biased, but it doesn't mean they are wrong.

In your last post you mentioned what you see on fishing shows. While there are some great shows out there, don't ever forget that they are still productions. They are always going to show you guys catching fish. You will see both City Limits fishing and fishing with Charlie Moore showing you guys catching from shore.

As many have said, a boat is not a need to fish. What it does is increase the overall fishable area of a body of water for you. Also, like several have said, the phrase "boat" could easily be replaced with the phrase floatation device. For several years my "boat" was a float tube. I caught plenty of fish out of it over the years.

The last thing I can suggest is to define your own budget and then get the best "boat" you can get with that budget. If that is a float tube, then so be it.
Old 04-07-11, 09:59 AM   #22
Lvitch

I would find a club and fish with them for a year or so. That will let you see what goes along with being a boater and also let's you fish out of a bunch of different boats and see what you like. Nothing worse than buying a boat and then finding out its not what works for you.
Old 04-07-11, 10:24 AM   #23
DVT Mike

I have a 10' Bass Raider pontoon with a trolling motor and depth finder. Perfect for the small electric only local lakes. It's easy to move, stable enough to stand in and was picked up from a neighbor for $400 along with rope, pfd's etc. I still do my share of wading too though.
Old 04-07-11, 10:34 AM   #24
sikwitit
BassFishin.Com Member

i actually saw a place where you can rent boats for a day. i m gonna try that before i make any big moves. i know im not gonna get a jon boat this year unless someone gives it to me. just kinda wanted to know some people's opinons. thanks for the help gents.
Old 04-07-11, 01:17 PM   #25
bigbasser

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Default learning bassfishing

What you might want to consider is joining a bass club, they always need riders and you'll learn about both bassfishing and boat ownership and handling. bigbasser
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.