Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-05, 01:56 PM   #1
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default distance

one thing i have wondered for a while and bass boss has brought up is the castablity of certain lines. i happen to really notice this. this past weekend i have 2 seven foot rods, same maker-fenwick hmx-with 2 newer quantum mg reels-same age-on one i have a zook n stein that weighs a dead on 1/2oz-rigged- and 12 pound mono-ande-with it at a measured 45 yards -from the driveway to the boat shed- i could regularly land it against the shed -were it meets the ground- but with the second rod rigged with a 1/2oz jig and zoom speed craw trailer using 20 pound braid-calcutta ultra-i was comind up 10 feet short and was really having to put some force into the rod to get a cast of the same lenth. as i am not new to a baitcaster i was using the same cast. when i was coming up short with the pnj i was putting forth the same amount of pressure as i was with the blade. as i have no florocarbon-wont buy it-i can not tell you if it would be differant. so if one of you floro guys would put forth the effort-ok i am twisting your arm here- go out and cast floro side by side with mono-what ever-and let us know in detail how she did.
in no way was i trying to max out my distance just trying to bump the barn.oh yeah the braid is the same thickness as 4 pound mono.

thanks in advance
zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 02:55 PM   #2
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass
Default Re: distance

One thought...I'm not sure what a Zook-in-Stein is but could the difference be in the bulk of the bait catching more air than the other bait?
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 03:20 PM   #3
oldfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to oldfisherman

i bought the ande on your advice and noticed the same thing. i always use trilene on my reels till this year. but with the ande i seem to be able to cast it easier and futher . i have 10. and 16 lb on my reels. use braided for 30lb my jigs and worms.
oldfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 03:42 PM   #4
zooker___________.
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zooker___________.

the blades on my spinners catch wind and short up my cast. same pole, same line a crank will fly
zooker___________. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 07:52 PM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

For a true test switch lures on the rods and try again. Also try spraying with reel magic to see if it makes any difference. I noticed a tremendous amount of what I call a rope like feel when I first started using braided line. I use Fireline and Trilene XL or Stren for mono, and once I used the braid I noticed a lot more drag is the best way to describe it. I think if you try a fused Line instead of the braid your casts will be closer together(yes I tested it 2 years ago), and found I actually casted farther with the fused line. I swithced lures, and still the same results. It was only about 4-5 feet more distance for me, but it was a difference. I also was using spinning gear.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 08:48 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

for those of you who don't know a stein is a highly customized spinner bait. the braid was the short caster not the mono.

no bass
whooohoo got another convert!! welcome to the club buddy.wait till you throw a crankbait with 8 pound test. i got a cordell spot with almost enough frequent flier miles to get a free trip to the bahammas. ;D

i like this distsance as it is the normal cast i make from the boat to the bank.

lizard
i have used fire line in the past it works well i never done a head to head with it. i stopped using it cause of the way i work the baitcaster reel and slice open a finger every hook set.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 02-14-05, 09:42 PM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

[quote author=zooker link=board=news;num=1108400164;start=0#5 date=02/14/05 at 18:48:02]for those of you who don't know a stein is a highly customized spinner bait.
zooker
Â*[/quote]
some nights i have dreams about what a zook n stein is ;D it is really really aggravating but we wont go into all of this right now
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 11:46 PM   #8
bassguy2004

I'm with Lizards on this one. Try the Stine on the other rod and see what happens. I would imagine the jig would go alot further because of less wind resistance since they weigh the same.
Old 02-15-05, 09:54 PM   #9
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I'm with the others who think the difference in wind resistance could account for the difference. To be sure, you need to have an identical lure on both outfits.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 12:38 PM   #10
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

Zook, can we get a photo of it or is it top super secret?
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 03:10 PM   #11
bassguy2004

earthworm, don't even ask about it.
Old 02-16-05, 04:50 PM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=earthworm77 link=board=news;num=1108400164;start=0#9 date=02/16/05 at 10:38:15]Zook, can we get a photo of it or is it top super secret?[/quote]

You better believe it's TOP SECRET. Now on the other hand, rumor has it, zooker can be bought if the price is right(kinda like a spy) It will only cost you three Unwed females(looks are unimportant, or facial hair), two Rapala XRAP'S, and a bucket of good ole southernfied GRITS. Then he might be enticed to show you his super secret zook-en-stein. Now for a couple hundred bucks you might convince me to show it to you

Lizards
Old 02-16-05, 07:25 PM   #13
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

first of all who said any thing about unwed females-wed unwed makes no differance to me-any one of you invertabrates send me any dam grits i will send your mother your head cod.....

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 02-16-05, 07:27 PM   #14
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

hey zook if u send me one of those zook-n-stiens then i can try it out on my setup and see how far it goes
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 03:26 PM   #15
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

I figure that I'd get appx. 20 yds further with my Stren Fluorocarbon and my Quantum energy series reels.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 03:39 PM   #16
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

Don't think I have lost all my marbels, but the action of the rod can make a differance too. The more flexible and limber the tip, the further it willcast. A medium action spinnerbait rod will cast farther than a M/H or H worm/jig rod.

Maybe thats the differance. I sure do not know what else to say. I cast a good bit farther with braid than without.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 05:10 PM   #17
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Zooker ,I can explain it, I have not found too many reels that will outcast the mg reels putting the same weight and the same line on,the outcome will be the same comparing those two reels. The Pinnacle Tetra and a Daiwa TD-S are the only reels I have found that will outcast them, and not even can you count on the Daiwas to beat it because I have found only 1 out of the 4 TD reels that could cast farther.At one time I had 11 of those Quantum reels,but sold them all off.The 2 you got from me were souped up,I replaced the bearings with a better grade than the originals,and I replaced the anti reverse dog part with a anti reverse roller bearings desiged to fit the Quantum Energy series reels.They have been Hot sauced too as every reel I have is done. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 10:24 PM   #18
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

pnj
while i use the ones i got from you these were 2 brand new mag gear reels both set right. both being cast on cookie cutter rods 7 foot heavy action -yeah that is my normal spinner bait rod- i thought that the braid would be the easiest to get the 45 yards instead of the spinner bait.
already lubed the reels with hot sauce.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 02-20-05, 02:02 AM   #19
GeeBeeJim

[quote author=zooker link=board=news;num=1108400164;start=0#5 date=02/14/05 at 18:48:02] the braid was the short caster not the mono.

zooker
Â*[/quote]

Hey Zookman ...... maybe if yer had used Stren Super Braid it would have outcast the mono ? And maybe if yer learned to tie a knot yer wouldnt havent lost dem steelies ! ;D :

> DJ
Old 02-20-05, 02:26 AM   #20
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

E=MC2 energy and mass should I go on or is it all over our heads?

http://www.aip.org/history/einstein/voice1.htm

I'll let my man do the talking! Â* Â*;D

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 02:02 PM   #21
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=DJ link=board=news;num=1108400164;start=0#18 date=02/20/05 at 00:02:00]

Hey Zookman ...... maybe if yer had used Stren Super Braid it would have outcast the mono ? And maybe if yer learned to tie a knot yer wouldnt havent lost dem steelies ! ;D :

> DJ
[/quote]

I have used the Stren Superbraid, and it has 0 castability for distance IMO. It casts so poorly with weightless plastics I gave a spool away to one of the younger folks here on the site. I believe it to be a good pitching/flippin line or even ok with c-rigs, or heavy baits. Yes it's strong as anything, but I definately believe Powerpro to be a much Superior Braid, especially for castability. This is just my opinion of course, which I seem to have a lot of

Lizards
Old 02-20-05, 03:33 PM   #22
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=news;num=1108400164;start=0#20 date=02/20/05 at 12:02:09]

I have used the Stren Superbraid, and it has 0 castability for distance IMO. Â*It casts so poorly with weightless plastics I gave a spool away to one of the younger folks here on the site. Â*I believe it to be a good pitching/flippin line or even ok with c-rigs, or heavy baits. Â*Yes it's strong as anything, but I definately believe Powerpro to be a much Superior Braid, especially for castability. Â*This is just my opinion of course, which I seem to have a lot of

Lizards[/quote]

I never met a Stren I did'nt Hate. I agree with you completly on the Power Pro.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 04:44 PM   #23
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i am in total agreement with that statement as i have said before stren aint made a decent line in the last 30 years.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 02-20-05, 08:50 PM   #24
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

If you guys ever used Stren then you'd be able to say how ya'll feel about it. If one doesn't use a product, then how would ya'll know about it's ability.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 09:32 PM   #25
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

[quote author=bassnman30 link=board=news;num=1108400164;start=0#23 date=02/20/05 at 18:50:54]If you guys ever used Stren then you'd be able to say how ya'll feel about it. If one doesn't use a product, then how would ya'll Â*know about it's ability.[/quote]

Give me one good reason for trading from powerpro or cajun red over to stren superjunk.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.