Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-05, 12:14 PM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default BFL/FLW tournaments

Well I picked up a brochure yesterday on this organization and read through the brochure, about rules and regulations etc... I'm seriously considering joining up as a non-boater(especailly since it's a 17' min for boats, and mines a 16') Anyway, I am wondering how many of you are fishing these tournaments, and how often you get in by filing the entrance forms? I believe I'll be able to fish all 5 of the tourneys in Indiana, and would obviously like too. Also I am a smoker, and want to know how most folks would take that. I of course wouldn't put any out on their boat, and keep all the butts etc, in the trash or on my person. So are there guys who refuse to let you smoke? And if so is it possible to clarify that up front? Yeah I've heard it a million times, I should quit, but not going to right now. Any info period on folks who fish these would be great.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 12:53 PM   #2
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default Re: BFL/FLW tournaments

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=MessBoards;num=1111245289;start=0#0 date=03/19/05 at 10:14:49]Well I picked up a brochure yesterday on this organization and read through the brochure, about rules and regulations etc... Â*I'm seriously considering joining up as a non-boater(especailly since it's a 17' min for boats, and mines a 16') Â*Anyway, I am wondering how many of you are fishing these tournaments, and how often you get in by filing the entrance forms? Â*I believe I'll be able to fish all 5 of the tourneys in Indiana, and would obviously like too. Â*Also I am a smoker, and want to know how most folks would take that. Â*I of course wouldn't put any out on their boat, and keep all the butts etc, in the trash or on my person. Â*So are there guys who refuse to let you smoke? Â*And if so is it possible to clarify that up front? Â*Yeah I've heard it a million times, I should quit, but not going to right now. Â*Any info period on folks who fish these would be great.

Lizards[/quote]

Go for it. Though this is my first year on the BFL trail, I think it is good.I am a co-angler also. Dont think for one minute it has to be a handicap. just do things a little differently, if possible that the boaterYou should definatly sign up with a boater for priority/guarenteed status, otherwise you MAY not get to fish, depending on the amount of entries. I believe in that situation though they refund the entry fee.As far as smoking, I do not, so no exp, there, but every boater will have their own rules. You will simply have to ask them. And thats another thing. Even when you sign up with a boater for gurenteed status, you still may not get to fish with them. It is a blind draw. Signing up with a boater simply guarentees they do not fill your spot with someone else.

If you need a boater, go to FLW OUTDOORS and go to the disussions page and make a post, or go to www.co-angler.com and click tournament talk and make a post.

Good luck

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 01:17 PM   #3
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigman15

I am fishing the BFL as a non-boater this year, as I do not have a boat, and don't have the experience. BFL is a good starter league. The pay off is ok, for the money you spend entering, but I am learning alot.

If you place in the top 40 througout the season, you go to regionals, and then you do well there, you go to the all american. And that can garuntee you a spot in the everstart series. I am not looking to go that far right now, but it's a goal.

It's not very organized down here where I am at, but your area might be different.
bigman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 01:48 PM   #4
gammarama
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gammarama

Find a boater and enter together in advance. You will be guaranteed entry. Thats the best way to go..
As far as smoking goes. Do what you want. You are both adults. Just don't burn the carpet and every thing will be cool..Good luck!
gammarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 03:31 PM   #5
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I can't swear to this, but it seems to me that I remember reading somewhere that the BFL has a "No Tobacco" rule now. Â*Although that may have been a higher division. Â*

Which would be rather ironic when you consider that it used to be "The Red Man Tournament Trail."
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 04:22 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=CajunBass link=board=MessBoards;num=1111245289;start=0#4 date=03/19/05 at 13:31:17]I can't swear to this, but it seems to me that I remember reading somewhere that the BFL has a "No Tobacco" rule now. Â*Although that may have been a higher division. Â*

Which would be rather ironic when you consider that it used to be "The Red Man Tournament Trail."[/quote]

I can't find anything in the rules, that I have, that says that, but I will check on their site also.

Lizards
Old 03-19-05, 06:55 PM   #7
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

Lizards,
thats why they make smokeless tobbacco
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 09:26 PM   #8
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

"# During the BFL All-American, competitors may not fish while using tobacco products. Smoking is not allowed in weigh-in lines in all tournaments."

Sounds like you could smoke in most tournaments on the BFL trail, but of course, you'd have to clear things with your boater.

I started fishing with my long-time partner in 1979 and he wouldn't let me smoke in the boat. During the drive to the lake and back home, I practically had to beg him to let me smoke by keeping my head out the window.

I quit the habit early in 1980 so it never became an issue.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-05, 02:43 AM   #9
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

Its all about keeping a professional image in the sport. While I agree people have the right, it does not look very professional. This is especially true for the TV shots.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-05, 09:25 PM   #10
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

[quote author=bassboss link=board=MessBoards;num=1111245289;start=0#8 date=03/20/05 at 00:43:56]Its all about keeping a professional image in the sport. While I agree people have the right, it does not look very professional. This is especially true for the TV shots.

Charles[/quote]
Charles, I'm sure that's their reasoning for the rule, but I wonder if it really helps the organization. I think about the PGA and John Daly chain smoking and I doubt that it's hurt golf.

B.A.S.S. rules have a statement about drugs and alcohol, but no mention of smoking. That would imply that smoking is allowed, but I can't recall ever seeing someone smoking during TV tournament coverage.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 01:35 PM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Well here's a link to the rules. I joined as a Gold member, due to times when I can't make the tourney meeting the night before. I just exchanged info with a boater, who looks like we will be registering together for these, which means guaranteed spots. Anyway the first one is on the Ohio River at Lawrenceburg, IN. Never fished it before, but since I won't be deciding where we go, I'm not to worried about it. I plan on winning it, since it's on my birthday If the boater can put us on fish, I'll catch em.

http://bfl.flwoutdoors.com/rules.cfm?cid=2

Lizards
Old 03-22-05, 10:28 PM   #12
javelinguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to javelinguy

Lizards, Charles, and to whom it may concern-

Keep this thread or start a similar one with BFL/FLW excursions and experiences. I'm interested in taking this step in a couple years (realistic plan=considering finances and my wife's needs) as a co-angler.

I'd be happy to learn about the steps your making and what you're learning while fishing these specific circuits.
I love hearing about individual tourney results, patterns, etc.
javelinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 11:07 PM   #13
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

Good luck Lizards! I hope you really have a good experience with the tournaments. I fished with a club for a little while and really enjoyed it and am thinking about doing the BFL next year. Keep us posted.
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 05:36 PM   #14
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Hey Lizards maybe I'll see you there! I'm fishing as a co-angler too. I think that rule about the tobacco products is for the televised events, but it goes for smoking and smokeless tobacco. If you see a red/white/black Hookerztackle shirt, its probably me ;DGood luck
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.