Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-05, 08:52 AM   #1
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Trailer Lights!!

Took my boat out yesterday and found out the hard way why it is important to unhook your trailer lights before backing into the water. Was on my way home when I got pulled over by a cop telling me I have no taillights on my trailer . I know they were working before I left the house because I checked them. He only wrote me a warning, which was good. I got home and checked them. Both bulbs were blown to bits and glass was all inside of my housings.

I usually unhook them, but was pressed for time and completely forgot about it before backing down the ramp.

So, for anybody on here that plans on getting a boat, or for anyone new to boating, remember to unhook them before backing it into the water.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 11:02 AM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Trailer Lights!!

Get some LED lights, and you won't have that problem any more. I went through a lot of bulbs, before I switched

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 01:13 PM   #3
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

BOOGER,

Can you say,"RANGER BOATS=WATERPROOF LIGHTS"?

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 04:18 PM   #4
bassfisher14

[quote author=JackL link=board=Boats;num=1112874750;start=0#2 date=04/07/05 at 12:13:07]BOOGER,

Â* Â* Can you say,"RANGER BOATS=WATERPROOF LIGHTS"?

JackL[/quote]

If I could afford a Ranger, then I wouldn't have this problem.Â* Â*I have what I can afford to have.
Old 04-07-05, 06:43 PM   #5
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i have sealed lights on my stratos and i love them never unhook them back right on in have been doing it for 3 years and no problem's

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 01:11 AM   #6
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

You can buy the waterproof lights at Wally World or Bass Pro.
RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 11:50 AM   #7
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

You can also buy two bulbs for about two bucks, and remember to check them before you leave.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 11:19 PM   #8
bassfisher14

Thanks for the advice guys. The lights I have on there now are brand new and they are supposed to be water-tight, but evidentally they aren't as tight as they should be. I'll just remember to unhook them from here on out. It isn't that much trouble, just grab the plug and pull. Besides, I like to unplug anyway because I have to use one of those RV adaptors on my truck and I like to put it in the cab of the truck so it won't get stolen. If anyone here has ever had to buy one of those adaptors, then you know why I lock it up. They aren't cheap!!!
Old 04-10-05, 09:23 AM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassbooger link=board=Boats;num=1112874750;start=0#7 date=04/09/05 at 22:19:59]Thanks for the advice guys. The lights I have on there now are brand new and they are supposed to be water-tight, but evidentally they aren't as tight as they should be. I'll just remember to unhook them from here on out. It isn't that much trouble, just grab the plug and pull. Besides, I like to unplug anyway because I have to use one of those RV adaptors on my truck and I like to put it in the cab of the truck so it won't get stolen. If anyone here has ever had to buy one of those adaptors, then you know why I lock it up. They aren't cheap!!![/quote]

Whether you unplug them or not, may not make a difference if you don't wait for them to cool down, or dry out before plugging them in. The LED's are truly the way to go IMO,(thanks JackL and others). Yes bulbs are cheap, but your fishing time isn't I replaced mine in about 1 hour, and haven't had a problem in over a year because of it ;D

Lizards
Old 04-10-05, 09:35 AM   #10
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

lol that reminds me of a ramp story, we pulled up to a small ramp on eagle creek and saw this new truck and trailer in the water except for the windshield, but the trailer lights could still be seen under water about 15 feet off the bank LOL
on many of those small ramps where the concrete ends in the water there is a dropoff of a foot or so,
the inexperienced driver of the truck backed in so far and dropped over the edge and it sucked her right in...lights still worked tho heh
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 01:22 PM   #11
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Its those short ramps with the deep dropoffs at the end that make me glad I have a small boat. Many a time I've jumped in the water and actually picked the trailer tires up out a hole.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 07:54 AM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=JB link=board=Boats;num=1112874750;start=0#9 date=04/10/05 at 08:35:51]lol that reminds me of a ramp story, we pulled up to a small ramp on eagle creek and saw this new truck and trailer in the water except for the windshield, but the trailer lights could still be seen under water about 15 feet off the bank LOL
on many of those small ramps where the concrete ends in the water there is a dropoff of a foot or so,
the inexperienced driver of the truck backed in so far and dropped over the edge and it sucked her right in...lights still worked tho heh[/quote]

Many times those dropoffs are the result of folks power loading and unloading their boat with the prop wash moving all the sand/silt/gravel out of the way. Actually I have never been to a ramp, where I couldn't unload my boat, and load it without having to use the motor. You just back in far enough, and you can push off, when unloading, and you can more than glide on when loading. People make me mad when they are afraid to get thier feet wet or something. DON'T USE YOUR MOTOR TO LOAD OR UNLOAD YOUR BOAT If you are too stupid to keep you vehicle out of the lake, then sell your boat >

Lizards
Old 04-12-05, 09:59 AM   #13
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

PLEASE DO power load your boat. The propwash digs a hole at the end of the ramp that bass just love, and almost nobody ever fishes it. I've caught many a fish casting right into a boats propwash.
Old 04-12-05, 06:14 PM   #14
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

are you serious cajun? i have never thought of it. but wouldnt all those boats and trucks loading and unloading scare the bass off?
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 06:45 PM   #15
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

cajun is right please power it on and off.
02 think of this 95% of all tourny's release the caught fish right at the launch ramp area. these fish have been in a live well all day when they are dumped into the water they are looking for 2 things structure and food. this prop wash area not only provides great structure it also because of water surges -from props - tends to collect injured bait fish. here in layman's terms 1+1=a 4 pounder..

lizard
they call it a drive on trailer for a reason sir!!!!
not a crank like a frikkin wild man to load the boat...
go to a real heavy useage ramp and just watch why you drive it on and off.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 06:52 PM   #16
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

but the loading and unloading of boats would scare the bass off right?
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 06:59 PM   #17
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

If they are used to it, no problem. They stay away from the props usually.

Lizards
Old 04-13-05, 01:32 AM   #18
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Can we say alumacraft and wally world!!! Ha and Im only out 2 grand. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-05, 12:10 PM   #19
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

The fish couldn't care less.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.