Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-05, 11:34 PM   #1
morrow50
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to morrow50
Default Interesting Experience

After reading a great deal of past posts, I decided to try out a Senko. I went to my local tackle shop to see what they had. I bought a bag of 5" White/Watermelon Laminate, a bag of 4" purple w/ blue flake, and the last bag of 4" watermelon seed. I grabbed a couple packs of 3/0 Gam. EWG Hooks. Talked to a salesman that was visiting the store for a bit, then paid and off to the lake.

Not only my first experience with Senko's but my first oppritunity to try out PowerPro with plastics. Off the git go, I liked the feel of the PowerPro. Very sensitive to say the least. I did notice it was a bit noisy. The line may have to break in a bit to cure that. I teamed a 4" Watermelon Seed with a 3/0 EWG hook Texas Rigged wieghtless. This on a spinning reel and rod.

I was fishing from the bank. I started long casting, letting the Senko free fall on slack line. I let it rest and gave to a rod twitch to pop it off the bottom. I continued this retrieval and worked my way down the bank. I made my way to the far side of the dam, I know this spot holds fish from past experience. I casted the Senko about 35 yards out. It free falled and came to rest, I worked my retrieve as outlined above. About 20 yards out, bone jarring hit!!!! I set the hook, fish was in deep water and felt decent sized. Get it in and > a damn chain Pike. Nice sized, but not the right type fish,lol.

This where it gets interesting. I recovered the hook and half a Senko from the pike. Now remember, this is my first strike and first fish on the hook and bait. The Senko was cut in two. From the size pike (2lb) I expected that. But take a look at the hook:

Here is a side by side of one that came from the package:

That hook lasted all of one fish. I didn't think I had set it that hard. Has anyone had a similar issue with the EWG hooks? Is this a problem with the PowerPro and hooks? Veteran PowerPro and Senko fisherman help me out here.

I tied on a new hook and rebaited with the same kind of Senko. I worked my way back up the bank and on the 8 or 9 cast about half way through my retrieval. Another smashing hit, I set the hook home. A nice 2.5 lb bass, fell victim to the new addition to my arsenal. I headed home as the wife was calling. I spent about a hour fishing total. I was impressed with the Senko's wobbly type action. I think when it warms up more (53 degrees now) I could really put a hurting on them. The PowerPro is super sensitive and I like it overall. My only complaint is that it is a bit noisy.

Any feedback or comments are welcome. I can't wait to find some pumpkinseed 4" Senkos and a couple warm days so I can try them out,lol 8)

Mike
morrow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 11:48 PM   #2
Daiwa_Baitcaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Daiwa_Baitcaster
Default Re: Interesting Experience

I use eagle claw texas rig hooks.Ive trusted eagle claw to giant carp,huge catfish,and monster sharks.But,Ive seen gar fish do worse to baits.Lucky it aint straight as it could be.Believe me when I say that;a 5 lbs alligater gar can rip a hook apart.
Daiwa_Baitcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 11:53 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

That's great, Mike!

PowerPro is noisy compared to mono-you'll get used to it. Regarding the hook, it happens-I've had it happen a couple of times. It probably is just one of those things.

Take a look at Tiki sticks-they are a little more durable than senkos, and different colors.

Did you get the article and if so what did you think?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 11:55 PM   #4
morrow50
BassFishin.Com Member

Yep, Got the article and it was great reading! Thanks for sending it!

Mike
Old 03-31-05, 11:57 PM   #5
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

Was that a "fine wire" hook? With an EWG style hook there is a little more area there for it to bend although I've never had that problem before. I use Gamakatsu for all my applications.
RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 11:59 PM   #6
morrow50
BassFishin.Com Member

No, it was a standard Gamakatsu EWG. I have never had a problem with there hooks before. Thats why it concerned me. :-/

Mike
Old 04-01-05, 09:09 AM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Mike from my experience, the regular Gammy's are not very good with braid. They do however make a Superline Hook that works just fine. I quit using the Gammy's because the hooks did bend out when using the superlines, especially when you set the hook on a log : I use either the "Owner" brand or the Gammy Superline. The diameter of the wire on the regular gammy's isn't thick enough for the Superlines. There are of course other hooks that are make well enough. I guess the best thing I can say to you, is that obviuosly Gamakatsu decided they needed to make a Superline hook, so they know the other hooks don't hold up as well And by the way, you might want to downsize 1 size, because the thicker guage of wire does make a slight difference in the fall, because it's heavier. Not much mind you, but it does make a difference IMO.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-05, 05:57 PM   #8
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Â* Are you prepunching a hole through the Â*Senko
for better penetration? then recess it back to make it weedless.. I think the last 5 years hooks have come a long way in being sharp..lazer sharpened or what evever, I still carry a hook sharpener with me and use it regliouly before a tournie , just to take the edge off LOL
But its handy after you get stuck in wook or beat it against something, most sharpeners have a grove in it so its idiot proof, that and taking time to feel our line for frays almost every cast will put a few more fish in the live well IMO
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-05, 08:51 PM   #9
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i have had them break i changed to gammy super line hooks have never had it straighten or anything.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-05, 01:04 AM   #10
morrow50
BassFishin.Com Member

I am going to look into the Superline Gammy's I went today, cooler than yesterday. Water temps were 53 degrees. Worked the Senko for over a hour not a single hit. On the last cast before leaving, I got a good hit. Felt like a good fish on, got her in. A pike > But thats my luck, now the weather is turning cooler again and calling for over a inch of rain to mess up my fishing.

Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.