Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-05, 12:26 PM   #1
lakerose
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lakerose
Default Help fishing senkos?

I have been using senkos in my neighborhood lake and they are working well. My friend tells me it works even better when used with the wacky rig, can any of you guys point out and teach me how to fish it with the wacky rig? i already know how to rig it, it just seems that it wouldnt work because the senko ends up looking like a big blob and i just have doubts about it, so i just want to know if it really works better and if it does how i should retrieve it. Thx
lakerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 12:51 PM   #2
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16
Default Re: Help fishing senkos?

Kirby, If your catching fish on them the way you are fishing them now , why change ? I use a Gamakatsu 2/0 circle hook for wacky rigging.Just use a polamar knot to tie the hook on ,hook the senko in the middle of the bait and cast it out there.I do not work the bait using the rod tip like you would a super fluke, instead I work the bait using the line between the reel and the first guide. It allows you to detect a bite and it allows a little slack line to allow the circle hook to set itself as the fish runs with the bait. Remember not to set the hook as you normally would using a regular hook, With the circle hook ,allow the fish to apply steady pressure on the hook and it will hook alot better percentages of your bites. I hope this helps you. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 01:58 PM   #3
NorthNJangler
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to NorthNJangler

A couple of other suggestions,

The worm gets beat up between casting and catching, use an O-ring or electrical tape around the middle of the worm to strengthen it up in the middle.

If you are leary about using a circle hook, or are fishing some weedy area use a weedless hook.

Theres not much to do as far working them, its the way the worm moves when it falls is what makes the fish hit it. Do what P N J said and you ll be fine
NorthNJangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 08:14 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Wacky rig:

It doesn't look like a fish catcher, but it sure is. Just cast it out, let it settle, raise it off the bottom, let it settle, etc. A lot of times you will not feel the hit-lit line will just tighten up or start moving off. You can use a regular worm hook, but I use a 1/0 Gamakatsu extra wide gap finesse hook.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 08:23 PM   #5
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I need to find some circle hooks
Last night on my virgin attempt at wacky riggin that bait
I used the Gammy 3/0 offset hook..worked fine,
and sharp as heck!
I can see where the circle hook is good un '
does wally world see any particular brand
you guys like?
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 08:50 PM   #6
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

JB, Wally World has Matzuo circle hooks here with a flourocarbon leaders on them. I started with them, but didn't like the flourocarbon leader. It sinks and it hangs up on the weeds allowing the fish to feel resistance before the circle hook has set. I hope this helps. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 04:52 PM   #7
FISH11
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FISH11

Rebbasser,
Hows things, have you tried the 6" no. 021 Black w Blue Fleck?
We killed them on a local lake Sunday, practicing for our Wed Night Hawg Hunt. 13 3# to 4#'s, another 24 keepers. Was a good evening fishing. Wed. were going for the monster.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.