Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-05, 11:20 AM   #1
JigHead1121

Default Maybe someone knows about this!!!

I live in NE pennsylvania and have access to a fantastic private lake. It's about 60 acres. Lots of cover, structure, etc. Water is shallow...deepest part is about 10 ft. Tons of really nice bass. The problem? They just won't bite. I mean, AT ALL! I've tried early morning as well as evening and even mid day (it's been in the 90's here!) The water has a very very green algae bloom. There is no scum on the surface, just green water. We tried flipping jig, senkos, plastic worms. We fished the floating vegetation in the middle of the lake. NOTHING! Anyone have any ideas. I'm an experienced bass fisherman, but i just wanted to get some opinions 'cause I can't seem to figure this out!
Old 07-27-05, 12:47 PM   #2
guacomole
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The biggest live nightcrawlers you can find.
guacomole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-05, 12:55 PM   #3
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Try some crankbaits and burn them. That can sometimes be the ticket
Old 07-27-05, 01:49 PM   #4
NJRapala46
BassFishin.Com Member

the same thing happened to a pond that was once extremely productive in my town. I tried fishing with everything including worms and shiners and they didnt even work. Finally i threw on a spinnerbait and that was the key! The spinnerbaits are noisy, and they sshine, so the fish can see through the damn algae. Good luck hope it works out
NJRapala46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-05, 01:56 PM   #5
George_Welcome

Try some in line spinner baits such as Mepps or Rooster Tails in 1/4 to 1/2 ounce.
Old 07-27-05, 03:57 PM   #6
Justin Case
BassFishin.Com Member

Go from the normal lures people use and make sure to make long casts, and present your lures in a more subtle manner.Fish a soft plastic that is not routinely used by the fisherman in your area.I hope this helps, P N J
Old 07-27-05, 06:40 PM   #7
the mud man
BassFishin.Com Member

Default i fISH ne pa TOO

Try using Manns Jelly worm Or Zoom Trick worms in green motor oil or black 6 to 8 in lonk hook em teaxs rigged unweighted Try to walk the shore quietly and work all strucre you can make soft casts and count to 20 before you start your retrieve I use this method on a pond and 2 strippin pits and havent gotten skunked all year
the mud man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-05, 07:37 PM   #8
Raul

I´d say crankbaits and spinnerbaits, they always work for me when fishing pea soup.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-05, 07:40 PM   #9
HulaPopr

If the fish are conditioned to noral bass lures, you may even try some inshore saltwater lures. It may just be the new thing you need to catch fish. Also you could try finnesse baits with really light line and rods. Also remember that you are fishing in summer so fish deep and slow during the day or fish underneath docks and cover.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-05, 08:16 PM   #10
mike90
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike90

where in NE pa are you? and what pond? i live in swiftwater and fished a pond last year just like the one you are talking about. might be the same that is why i was wondering where it is that your talking about. if i remember right me and my buddy caught 6 or 7 nice size bass but that was it. just never made it back
mike90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-05, 09:07 PM   #11
CAK4059
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey, i live in NE PA too and have been fishing a private pond the last couple of weekends. The pond has the same characteristics that you have described. I used everything to try the get some bass and the only thing that worked for me is a 2-3 inch rubber grubs that i bought at wal-mart. I've been fishing them with a small jighook and 4 pound test line. The small jighook helps it not get too far down in the grass. White and red, and yellow and red worked the best for me. I got about 10 bass last weekend, 5 of them nice size. Hope this helps some.
CAK4059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-05, 08:44 AM   #12
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Buzzbaits And Spinnerbaits. Carolina Rig With A Four In Worm.
Old 07-28-05, 11:15 AM   #13
Jighead 1121

I live between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton. The lake is in the Back Mountain Area.
Old 07-29-05, 09:05 AM   #14
JigHead1121

I tried using a Mann's 1- last night. I caught 4. One was 4.25 lb. Not bad considering I didn't even get bit on Sunday! Thanks for the tip! (No takers on the spinnerbait - white with double colorado blades).
Old 07-29-05, 01:11 PM   #15
dts
BassFishin.Com Member

Use something you think no one would use. If it has been there they have seen it. They won't come after it. The pond I fish at is just like it. The deepest point is about 3 meters. I have found that lipless are good. Also try to fish on a windy day. Not too windy but just a little wind will make it so that the fish don't see you as easy. You can walk right up on them or if you are in a boat. (you get the point) but try flipping up into the brush. If it is shallow they will be under cover. If your lure gets caught up its no big deal. You can always get it out they will be shallow on the edges in the brush under the bank. You have to risk getting hooked up to hook them. That shallow it will have to be in front of their face. If you can get their you will hook them. I caught a nice 18 inch last week in a pond every one says is dead. I know there are bigger there. Keep at it they will come. I know what it feels like to see the fish looking at you and not being able to get it.
dts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 01:12 PM   #16
dts
BassFishin.Com Member

I forgot to tell you what I was using to catch the fish was a red head rapella. Ocean lure. But it works.
dts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 03:35 PM   #17
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For a super bass lake, try the Assalt worms (sponsor) in 4 or 5" in rootbeer/grn flk; watermelon/blk & red flk; green pumpkin; chartreuse/blk flake. These are as good as Senkos and when used with a wide-gap offset hook (HookerZtackle.com), do as well and are more durable. Contact Assalt for free samples. Use it on the horizontal fall or as a jerkworm (pause and fall retrieve)

A fat 4" tube, T-rigged with a wide gap hook and 1/16 oz bullet, has been a killer in the n.e. Worked best on bottom with rod twitches or down banks with overhangs. Great for hardpack and a few weeds in 8-10'.

If you have some decent pads or duckweed, a black Johnson Silver Minnow (weedless spoon) with a #11 pork frog or plastic trailer, is great for pulling off the shoreline into a foot or more of weedy water. Cookie cutters galore.

3" floating Rapala - twitched and pulled near surface.

2 3/4" ThunderStick jerkbait

poppers for the surface bite.

Creature baits with or without wt. (Brush Hogs in 5") used as a topwater buzzer across the tops of weeds and into open pockets

Medium dive crankbaits.

For open water, near flats and weed beds, Fat Albert grub in margarita on a 1/8 oz jig with long shank. (HookerZtackle.com)

Use braid or a braid leader for the best sensitivity and long distance hookset.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 06:37 PM   #18
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

dts
gotcha plug late winter ---ooppppppssss!!!!

ZOOKER
Old 07-29-05, 09:57 PM   #19
the mud man
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey fellas I live in Hazleton PA I fiish Mauch Chunk lake mostly and a few strippin pits and ponds maybe some of us can hook up and fish MacuChunk in Sept IOt has a lot of good bass in it
the mud man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-05, 03:14 AM   #20
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie
Try some crankbaits and burn them. That can sometimes be the ticket
I agree. Rip it as fast as you can and see if you draw a reaction strike. I did it with a rapala DT10 when I exhausted every conceivable retrieve except absolutly fast cranking. Two big bass came out and chased. One committed and I saw her suck down the crankbait into her mouth. Unfortunately, I got so exciteed I ripped it away before her mouth closed. Oh well, but try that super fast rippin' retrieve.
Old 07-31-05, 03:15 AM   #21
Cuban_Cigar
BassFishin.Com Member

Toss em a chartreuse beatle spin. Unlocked a farm pond for me. had fished it with everything known to man and never caught anything but blue gills....I started assuming there wasn't any bass in it until one day I went there with a beatle spin....30 6 pound bass have fallen prey to me since then.
Old 07-31-05, 12:33 PM   #22
jordan09

when ever im not gettin any fish i take the weights off and let the worms sink really slow. then when i feel its a good level of water i will twitch it and then let it sink again.
Old 07-31-05, 12:39 PM   #23
striker23

Send a message via AIM to striker23
Thumbs up Try Spinnerbaits

Id say spinnerbaits would be your best bet... that should get some attention from those bass.
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 09:16 PM   #24
Stick-em

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em

I lived in the Pocono's in PA all my life up till 87 and sometimes those bass just get lock Jaw in those shallow ponds. I found out that during the day it's almost impossible, but at night, we had great success after casting in the algae bloom, green slimmey ponds with top water weedless Arbogast black or white Jitterbugs. Medium size but you got to get that noise going. Cast and stop and stop after a few gurgels and then try casting and count to 20 before you turn that handle. Many times they just suck it up from underneath without a noise and all you feel is your rod tighten in your hand. You seem to cast your butt off and then take and light your cigar and about that time, an explosion occurs with Mr. BaSS.

With that thick slimmey muck, it seems it's just constant work all night but, when you latch on to one of those 5 lbers or so, well, your heart gets some great exercise for sure.

Screemin' Reels!

Mike
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 09:20 PM   #25
PowerBass

IM gonna be goin nite fishing soon with my jitterbug. Hopefully I can connect on my new jitterbug.

Last edited by PowerBass; 08-01-05 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spelling
PowerBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.