Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-05, 12:59 AM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Best Rod for each fishing techniques

Well we've had tons of talks about rods etc.. and everyone has their preferences. Mine has been St Croix of course But I bought my first G Loomis rod the other day. I haven't been able to use it yet, but I put it up side by side with my St Croix's and it's lighter with what I would say almost I dentical rod action. Now I bought the gl2 series which isn't their top of the line model, but it was still $140 for the 6'6" MH rod, with a fast action, which is my preferred rod for many applications including weightless plastics. Now I've heard some good things about Kistler, but I have never held one. I did look at some All Stars and wasn't impressed compared to my St Croix. Now don't get wrong, there are a lot of decent rods for less than $100 but as I get more and more into upgrading my equipment, I'm able to notice a lot of differences now than I couldn't feel or understand when I first start buying everything. Now I prefer a Med rod with a moderate action for cranks, so again it's which one to choose. I know there are tons of folks who haved fished longer, and tried more different brand names than I have, so I would like for you opinions on what you consider the Best rod for each of the following techniques. I expect a lot of diferent answers, and that's great. Because it will give me several to look and choose for myself as I upgrade my equipment. Thanks in advance for your responses. And please give me YOUR favorite even if you don't own one or no matter what the price, high or low. Please include Brand name, and specifics.

For example. Weightless Plastics, I like the St Croix 6'6" MH rod with a fast action tip. And if you would like to elaborate as to WHY, that would be greatly appreciated also.

1. Crankbaits

2. Carolina Rigging

3. Texas Rigging

4. Topwater

5. Spinnerbaits

6. Weightless Plastics

7. Pitching

7. Flipping

Now you may prefer the same rod for many of these applications, and that's fine. Hopefully it will give me some choices to start looking at.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 01:04 AM   #2
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch
Default Re: Best Rod for each fishing techniques

Wont be to good at this: 3 rods 7' MH, 3 rods 6'6" M-MH, use the 6'6" for cranks and ratltraps, 7'- have one for plastics, 1 for spinner/buzzbaits, 1 kinda of do everything in between rod. Probably not the answers youre looking for. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 01:50 AM   #3
fisherwoman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fisherwoman

Lizard, what was the model of the Loomis.
wish we could get them that cheap.
fisherwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 01:51 AM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Let's see...

1.Crankbait: 6-6 AllStar GT2 M action graphite/glass composite rod.

2. C-rig: All star CRC 7'H action

3. T-rig: 6-6 MH AllStar WR1

4. Topwater: 5-6 MH pistol grip Lightnin' Rod

5. Spinnerbaits: Same as T-rig

6. Weightless Plastics: 6' H action AllStar BCH-6
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 08:00 AM   #5
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I got a hodge podge of rods and reels for each lure presentation.No One company makes the best rod for everything.This of course is only my opinion, but if you refine your rods to one lure presentation, you will find that there aren't one rod company that has the best rod for every lure presentation. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 09:59 AM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=MessBoards;num=1110772775;start=0#4 date=03/14/05 at 06:00:04]I got a hodge podge of rods and reels for each lure presentation.No One company makes the best rod for everything.This of course is only my opinion, but if you refine your rods to one lure presentation, you will find that there aren't one rod company that has the best rod for every lure presentation. P N J[/quote]

I agree PNJ, therefor my post. I want to see what is the best BRAND for cranking, the best BRAND for topwater etc... I guess I wasn't specific enough in my first post :-[

Felix,

It's a GL2 model:MBR873C, they had some more anywhere from $250-$125 The $250 was a 7'6" Flippin stick, and the $125 was a 6' Med action rod. How much do they cost there?

Lizards
Old 03-14-05, 10:37 AM   #7
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

Most of my rods are Falcons, but i do have a others, so it might be thrown in here.

1. Â*Crankbaits: 7' ML,M,and MH Composite/Eglass. I use all three sizes due to different crankbait sizes and weights.

2. Carolina Rigging: 7'6" Flipping Stick, H action. This makes a very good C-Rig Rod.

3. Â*Texas Rigging: 6'6" MH Falcon Lowrider .

4. Â*Topwater:7' ML Falcon Popping Rod

5. Â*Spinnerbaits: Falcon Original 6' M Treble Hooker

6. Â*Weightless Plastics:Same as my T-Rigged rod.

7. Â*Pitching: 6'10" MH Falcon Cara

7. Â*Flipping:7'6" H Team Daiwa V

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 10:52 AM   #8
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I got a mis-mash of stuff. Everything from team Diawa rods I paid 100 bucks for, to a couple of Pinacle's (sp?) I got at Wally World for 15 bucks. They all do the job.

For spinnerbaits I use an old Diawa "Bill Dance Spinnerbait Rod" that's probably 20? 25 years old. I've got a Diawa "Guido Hibdon Finesse Rod" for spinning. (90% of the time Charlie Brewer Slider Worms.) A Diawa "Larry Nixon Pitching" rod that I use for Jig fishing, an old Browning David Fritts cranking rod I use for rattle traps, Somekind of BPS rod that I use for Carolina Rigging. No idea what model it is. A couple of new BPS rods that I haven't really figured out what I'm going to use them for, but since they 5 1/2 feet long, and have a pistol grip, they'll get used as lot.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 11:54 AM   #9
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

I was introduced to loomis back in the 70's and never owned or used one untill the early 90's. I have 10 to 15 now. The only one i use for cranking is the cranking series 6'6" med. rod. All my loomis otherwise are gl3's. one is an im6 i built and a premier i built but that was stolen along with a gl2 723. I also have one imx782 which is what i use for weightless soft plastics as well as 3/16 oz. or less wormin, jigs, plastic on jighead. gives me more power and heavier line with the light stuff as opposed to the spinning rods. I've recently began buying the st. croix for crankbaits though and really like those. I bought a heavy 6'8" loomis in the cranking series for deeper heavier cranks but it's too fast and stiff and was pulling the hooks out of the fishes mouths on hookset. Went to a st.croix for that stuff but haven't used it much. Before the st. croix. I was using ugly sticks for most of my rattle traps, bomber 6a's and 7a's and spinner baits 3/8oz. up.
yesterday I was fishing off a dock at my local lake and did something I thought I never would. Put a rogue on the imx782 and that far outperformed for that bait anything I have ever used before (which was about every rod I own except the gl3's) Second cast i caught a 5lb'er and twenty minutes later a 2.5 lb'er. Both on a "blue-stained-dress". The marina manager swears that's what Smithwick calls it so don't blame me if your a Clinton fan. I love my loomis's and lizard the other thing you will find is they are a lot more sensitive. You're gonna be able to tell what kind of bottom your bait is on and feel the difference when the bottom changes from pea gravel to golfball size gravel. You're gonna feel when a fish farts. Rarely does a fish take and I don't know it with the loomis. Enjoy!!!
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 04:27 PM   #10
oldfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to oldfisherman

i am in greement with the rod choices shown . this year i what to work on suspended jerk baits what rod lenght and weight do most of you use.
oldfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 06:40 PM   #11
fisherwoman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fisherwoman

thanks for that Lizaed. the GL2MBR873C is $280(US$220) down here.
cheers
fisherwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 07:34 PM   #12
gammarama
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gammarama

1. Crankbaits -GLoomis or Castaway 6' to 7 1/2' Medium to Med/ Hvy depending on the size and type of crankbait

2. Carolina Rigging-GLoomis 7' Heavy

3. Texas Rigging- same as c-rig rod

4. Topwater- same as crankbait

5. Spinnerbaits- Loomis 61/2' Med/HVY 3/4oz and less 7' MH for 3/4oz and heavier

6. Weightless Plastics-Loomis 6 1/2' med/hvy to Heavy depending on line size and weight of plastic

7. Pitching-Loomis 7' heavy

7. Flipping-Loomis 7 1/2' to 8 foot Heavy to Mag heavy depending on what your flipping.
gammarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 08:09 PM   #13
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

• [Flipping] Castaway Bud Pruitt 7'6"MH & Heavy flippin sticks
  • [Worm]Lone Star 6'6" MH & All Star 6'6" MH WR1 rod & Quantum Tour Edition HSX54 7'0" MH rod for flipping 10" worms.
  • [Tube]Fenwick HMG carbon veil 6'0 MH
  • [spinnerbait] Berkely series one 6'6"MH pistol grip rods.& Abu Garcia Larry Nixon signature tournament series rod 6'6" MH rod.
  • [crankin]Castaway Bud Pruitt HG40 series flipping stick 7'6" MH (more like a Medium)
  • [Top water]Fenwick HMG 5'6" Medium rod & Berkely lightning Ken Cook series 6'2" Medium rod
  • [Senko]Berkely Pulse 6'0"MH rod & All Star 6'6"MH WR2 rod.
  • [jerkbaits]Castaway HB60 6'0" heavy rod.
  • [rattle traps]Berkely series one 7'0" Medium rod.
I guess thats about it.P N J
Old 03-14-05, 08:29 PM   #14
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

crankbaits -7' medium fenwick gt -good feel not great feel
spinner bait -7' heavy fenwick hmx -let's you tell grass from fish.
c-riging - 6'6''heavy allstar -so sue me-
flipping/pitching-7'heavy fenwick hmx-with braid
jerk bait/topwater-7' mh fenwick hmg-cut down to 6'3''-ceiling fan
finesse plastic-6'ml fenwick gt-spinning

i have a bunch of other's but these are the ones i like to fish with. all but the ml spinning rod have quantum mag gear casting reels. the spinning reel is a quantum energy pti 30 series reel.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 12:01 AM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Felix link=board=MessBoards;num=1110772775;start=0#10 date=03/14/05 at 16:40:10]thanks for that Lizaed. the GL2MBR873C is $280(US$220) down here.
cheers[/quote]

Don't know how much shipping is but why not order it here and ship it, sounds like you could save some money? I wouldn't think it would be over $40 to ship it, but then again it might?

Thanks guys, this gives me a lot to start looking at. This is what I was looking for. I did notice that most of you use different size rods for about everything, where as I try to keep everything in the 6'6" size ??? I guess I need to start rethinking that. I just feel more comfortable with that size than any others I've used. :-/

Lizards
Old 03-15-05, 01:50 AM   #16
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

[quote author=nobass link=board=MessBoards;num=1110772775;start=0#9 date=03/14/05 at 14:27:02]i Â*am in greement with the rod choices Â*shown Â*. Â*this year Â*i what to Â*work on suspended Â*jerk baits Â*what Â*rod lenght Â*and weight do most of you use.[/quote]

6' M action AllStar BCM-6. Use the same rod for buzzbaits.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 08:35 PM   #17
RedShad
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RedShad

GL2 & GL3 are GLuis. IMX & GLX are Gary Loomis'. Please don't say to anybody you have GLoomis Rods if you have a GL2 or GL3. MBR783C is almost perfect action for bass fishing though.
RedShad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 10:14 PM   #18
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Ray Will, Gloomis is gary loomis. He developed all the gl2 gl3 series as well as the Imx and the GlX series of rods. I heard something about the patent running out on the gl2 and 3's but I know for a fact that if they were bought before 2000 they were manufactured by his company on his equipment that he designed and developed. Or maybe it was a hostile takeover of Gloomis....I just remember hearing about something like that but whoever took controll of his company can't use his machines and mandrels to make the blanks. It was like 7 or 8 months ago I heard somehting to that effect. So he no longer makes Gloomis rods in gl2 or gl3. Could be wrong about that but like i said...if it was made before 2000 or maybe even 2004 it is a quality Gary Loomis product.
Old 03-16-05, 01:03 AM   #19
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

O.k. got the skinny. Â*Shimano bought G.loomis company with all the eaquipment and mandrels. Â*The rods are the same just the proffit margin isn't. Â*plus the "lifetime warranty" is no longer valid. Â*will cost $50.00 to get a rod replaced regardless of the circumstances. oh yeah, they bought it in 2003.
Old 03-16-05, 09:23 PM   #20
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

Spinnerbait, topwaters, soft jerkbaits...GLoomis 6'3" M Spinnerbait rod. This is an absolutly perfect rod for me using these baits. I had it built by Tom Smith's Custom Rods. I used a St. Croix reel seat and handle and had the Recoil titanium guides put on it and to finish it off, he put my name on it. It's BEAUTIFUL!

Texas rigged soft plastics...GLoomis 6'6" MH GL2. I really like this rod and the $140 price tag is great!

Pitching jigs...GLoomis GLX 7' MH with a shorter handle that I had installed.

Flipping...GLoomis IMX H

Crankbaits...Bass Pro Shops 6'6" M Crankin' Stick

Carolina Rig...All Star 7' MH C' Rig rod.

Spinning...Bass Pro Shops Pflueger/Extreme XPS combo

I have 2 older GLoomis GL3 6'6" MH rods that I've had for years that I use for anything else.
RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 09:46 PM   #21
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

RayWill, You mean I had counterfeit G-Loomis rods ?I did not think they were so great anyway.Wait 'til I email Doug and tell him I sold him counterfeit tackle. ;D Maybe I should suggest he call them G-Whizz rods ? ;D P N J

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.