Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-04, 05:42 PM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Baitcaster tips

Well once again I got a tip from Uncle Homer in the Bassmaster Oct 04 issue. Here's the question that was posed and his response.

question: "I'm sold on the smooth casting and maximum strength of braided lines-------- just great! But, when I get a backlash it cuts right down to the spool axle and is impossible to pick out. Got any solution for this problem----- and don't tell me to go back to monofilament."

answer: " Here's a cure that will both please and amaze you; it's so simple. Make your longest cast in the backyard, and then peel off 10 more feet. Stick a strip of 1/2-inch plastic tape across the line left on the spool, and rewind line over it. Then, when you get a backlash the braided line can't cut any deeper than the plastic tape, and easily unravels."

Now with my SLOW MIND, I thought about this, and realized it could make the baitcaster a happy tool for me if it prevents backlashes of the magnitude I seem to get. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of this or even used this trick. It sounds like a winner to me, but I don't know enough about baitcasters yet to say if it would or wouldn't work. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.