Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-06, 02:10 PM   #1
Meathead
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Sun Glasses

Hi Everyone,
Was looking for information on polorized sun glasses. Do the ones at wallyworld to the trick or should i save my money and get a higher quality.
I think amber would be the best choice for the color of lense.
Just wondering what people think.
Mmeatheat
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-06, 02:20 PM   #2
mont_lunker_hunter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I dont do a lot of sight fishing, so for me the smoke lenses are best. I orginally used solar bats, but i bought a pair of strike king for 9.99 at wal-mart to keep in my boat as a back up and i ended up wearing those more than the solar bats. They are very lightweight and do all i need them to do, but again...i don't sight fish. Sight fishing is best with moss lenses.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-06, 02:20 PM   #3
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

im not sure because i dont wear any, but my dad saved up and got some Oakley polarized for saltwater and they are awesome, so i guess save up if you can..
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-06, 02:45 PM   #4
bassnman30

The ones at Wal-Mart are plastic. They will scratch up.
Old 12-22-06, 03:11 PM   #5
mont_lunker_hunter

bassman is right, the wal-mart ones will scratch up. But, if you take even decent care of them (cases are cheap too) you'll get several months of use out of them, and you can buy alot of them for the same price.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-06, 08:44 PM   #6
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Different color lenses will help in different lighting conditions. Amber being best IMO for overcast days. Darker for bright sunny days. If you can afford only one pair(save up and buy a decent pair of "GLASS" ones) then go with the amber. The Cheap ones work, but you will be replacing them quickly.

Lizards
Old 12-22-06, 09:19 PM   #7
JB

you need a pair of amber for cloudy days, and smoke or green for bright days...it makes ALL the dif. in the world
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-06, 10:08 PM   #8
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I've got a pair of Wal-Mart's I've been using for 2 years, all you have to do is take care of them. Mine came in a plastic case, I keep them in that, in my tackle bag, no problems
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-06, 12:31 AM   #9
Jolly

Hey JB, I use the exact Opposite, is your water clear or really stained??? Mine is clear and the amber really lights it up with the sun up. The dark really dims up the water. We sight fish a whole lot most of the summer months seeing as the fish are on beds from march to july and continue using them to see fish cruising all year around. I have oakleys with the amber polarized lenze and have tried many high dollar shades on the market including maui jim, ray ban, costa del ray, and any other brand you can think of. Me and my pop both have the oakleys. We both love em' and haven't found any to beat em'. We got em 2 years ago after trying all the above and all the cheapos you can find but haven't bought another pair since. I found them for $110 at the local mall. They have a scratch resistant coating but they will scratch when given the chance. Take care of em like a 100 dollar pair of shades should be and you won't have any problems. We definately tend to see alot more fish with these then we did with any of the others. Could be the population going up or could be the shades but I am leaning towards the latter. Anyway, hope this helps!

Jolly
Old 12-23-06, 01:35 AM   #10
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
you need a pair of amber for cloudy days, and smoke or green for bright days...it makes ALL the dif. in the world

Ditto what JB said. You get what you pay for, no question. I upgraded to some good quality ones, but for years I wore some wrap arounds made by Strike King and they did a decent job. If you want quality Smith, Costa Del Mar, Oakleys and Bolle make good polarized lenses.

Welcome to the forum, BTW!
Old 12-23-06, 02:24 AM   #11
carolina-rig-01

one piece of advice that i can add is make sure they fit your face...not so much for style but they shouldn't let sunlight in behind them at the corner of your eyes. this will really impair your ability to see in the water. i recently had a pair that i loved the looks of but didn't really notice any benefit to them over regular sunglasses. when i lost them in the lake (oh yeah i reccomend a lanyard too) i got a pair that wraps around my face better and that really helps me see beds now. they were like $40 or around there so they aren't top of the line and i like them well.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-06, 08:23 PM   #12
islandflyfisher

Send a message via AIM to islandflyfisher

I like Woo Daves for a cheap pair. They make wrap around sunglasses. I like a dark color for when it is sunny and yellow for when it is overcast or late in the day. The yellow gives some people headaches though. Before my yellow pair broke, I wore both pairs at the same time.
islandflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-06, 08:50 PM   #13
JB

jolly,
we used to have really stained and murky water but almost every lake around here has gotten gin clear.
Old 12-24-06, 01:45 PM   #14
Jolly

I dunno, I've always done the opposite but everyone else here seems to be in agreement with you so I'm wrong I guess, lol! Whatever works best for the individual I guess! Definately get some that wrap around good so that the light glinting off the water won't come from the side or underneath. You can't see anything if the shades don't fit well.

Jolly
Old 12-27-06, 06:19 PM   #15
RAM
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Hi Everyone,
Was looking for information on polorized sun glasses. Do the ones at wallyworld to the trick or should i save my money and get a higher quality.
I think amber would be the best choice for the color of lense.
Just wondering what people think.
Mmeatheat

If you can afford only one pair(save up and buy a decent pair of "GLASS" ones) then go with the Yellow lense. Yellow is what I use for SITE Fishing. Get the type that has the side shade covers on them.
RAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 06:47 PM   #16
RAM
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM View Post
If you can afford only one pair(save up and buy a decent pair of "GLASS" ones) then go with the Yellow lense. Yellow is what I use for SITE Fishing. Get the type that has the side shade covers on them.

Protecting Your Eyes, Choosing The Right Sunglasses

By Gary Howey
I like many men and women that enjoy the outdoors realize the value of a good pair of sunglasses.
When it comes to sunglasses, nothing is truer than the old cliche; "you get what you pay for."
There are hundreds of sunglasses out there, different shapes, designs, made from dozens of different materials, to some extent, all will shade your eyes from the sun.
Unfortunately some are no more than disposable glasses, cheaply made that do little to protect your eyes and will scratch the first time you clean them.
Boaters, skiers and anyone that spends much time on the water realize the value of a good pair of sunglasses.
The reflection off the water can burn your eyes in a short period of time, so good sunglasses are worth their weight in gold.
Frame styles are a personal preference. Metal, nylon composite and plastic frames are available. A good fishing frame should give you good coverage and eliminates the amount of light that comes into your eye around the frame. Glasses that have side shields or fit tightly against the face are a good bet if you're on the water
It's important to choose a frame that fits your face. If the temples are too tight, they can cause headaches.
Tournament anglers, fishermen and guides have relied on polarized glasses for years to help them locate fish attracting areas and even fish.
Polarized glasses are constructed so they cut down on glare. Glare causes eyestrain and fatigue. Neither of which will make your day on the water more productive or more enjoyable.
Polarized glasses have the ability to eliminate up to 99% of the reflective glare and protect your eyes against harmful UV rays, which allow the wearer to see things that lie below the surface of the water.
Recently at the 2004 ICAST Show in Las Vegas, I had the opportunity to talk with Tom Pittack, Omaha, NE. a representative of Fisherman Eyewear. Tom took time from his busy schedule to talk with me about choosing the correct sunglasses, the different types of materials and when to use different shades of glass for different applications.
Tom indicated, "what you pay for a pair of sunglasses depends largely on what the lens material is. The cheaper the lens material, then the cheaper the glasses will be.
Lens material can be made from any number of materials! The lenses can be made up of glass, polycarbonate, CR39, Acetate or S91.
Glass is the hardest of the lens material and will last longer because it is the hardest to scratch. It is also the heaviest lens material and can be hard to wear all day.
SR91 is the second toughest material; it's closest to glass optically, also very lightweight and virtually indestructible.
CR39 is also lightweight, indestructible and is what most prescription glass lens are made from.
Polycarbonate, like the other material lenses are made from is lightweight and a very tough material. This is the material that is used to make shooting glasses.
Sunglasses with the acetate lens are fairly inexpensive and are the ones you buy off the rack. Better acetate lenses are 1.1mm thick and you can tell which sunglasses have the better thicker lens by doing a press test. Gently press on the lens with your thumb, if it's easy to press, then the sunglasses have the cheaper thinner lens.
Lens color is another thing that people who spend a lot of time in the outdoors should pay attention to.
Gray lens is excellent for day to day use. Gray lenses transmit all colors of the spectrum, so there is very little distortion, making them ideal for bright sunny days and open water fishing.
Copper is a very high contrast lens that is soothing on the eyes. It absorbs blue light, heightening visual acuity and boosting contrast, making this lens the best choice for sight fishing applications.
Brown is considered by many to be the best all around tint for fishing. This lens provides excellent contrast and true color perception. Great for shallow water streams and flats fishing in medium to bright sunlight.
Amber is excellent for low light conditions such as first and last light or a heavily over cast day."
From personal experience, I've learned that a change in lens color can make all the difference in the world when it comes to spotting fish.
I've been in the same boat with another bow fisherman or angler and one of us would spot the fish while the other was having trouble spotting it. Both of us were wearing polarized lenses, but the slight difference from the lens color to another helped one of us to see the fish, while the other person wasn't seeing the fish.
Protecting your eyes on the water is just as important as protecting yourself from skin cancer.
The next time you're heading for the water and need a new pair of sunglasses, take a little time to look for the correct pair for the conditions you'll be facing, it will make for a much more enjoyable trip.
For more information on choosing the right sunglasses go to www.fishermaneyewear.com
RAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 06:50 PM   #17
pig n jig

My good friend Lizards just sent a pair of the best sunglasses I have ever used.Cocoons brand that fit over my regular glasses in gray lense color.I lost my other set, the gray lense works extremely well for bright sunny days when jig fishing the milfoil beds and for seeing in deeper water.I tried different colored lenses, but the gray are what I prefer to wear year round. Thank you Lizards, you just made my holidays a whole lot better. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 09:08 PM   #18
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
My good friend Lizards just sent a pair of the best sunglasses I have ever used.Cocoons brand that fit over my regular glasses in gray lense color.I lost my other set, the gray lense works extremely well for bright sunny days when jig fishing the milfoil beds and for seeing in deeper water.I tried different colored lenses, but the gray are what I prefer to wear year round. Thank you Lizards, you just made my holidays a whole lot better. P N J
Well you didn't tell them about my box of cranks you sent me, that really made my Holidays special. Can't wait to hit the water. And you are more than welcome my friend, anything I can do for you is a pleasure.

Lizards
Old 12-27-06, 09:20 PM   #19
JB

lizards, all the traps pnj sent me have caught a ton of bass, esp. this fall in 60 degree weather, enjoy~!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.