Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-07, 09:29 AM   #1
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Truck Exhaust

Has anybody on here ever hung their own truck exhaust? I need to replace my exhaust and am actually thinking of dualing it out. I can get a kit for around 200 bucks and this kit includes clamps and everything to hang it myself.

Has anybody on here ever done this? If so, do you recommend it, or should I just buy the kit and take it to a shop to weld it on?
Old 02-13-07, 10:43 AM   #2
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I'd recommend getting it welded on, I tried the clamp method once, getting it all to fit, and stop rattling was a pain! This was on a stock setup too!

I've now gained a few friends in the muffler business, but it's really not that much to get them to do the work, and it'll be there for life.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-07, 11:05 AM   #3
bassbooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampeoples View Post
I'd recommend getting it welded on, I tried the clamp method once, getting it all to fit, and stop rattling was a pain! This was on a stock setup too!

I never thought about that. I will definitely take it to get it welded now. Thanks Sterling!!!
Old 02-13-07, 12:58 PM   #4
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Talking

It can be rather exhausting work...

FR
Staff Comedian
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-07, 02:45 PM   #5
Bender

I have used clamps and put exhaust kits on my cars before. "If" it is a good quality kit then all of mine fit really well. I think the stainless kit for my Scirocco was about $600 with a Borla muffler for 2 1/4" though.
I have been in many of the larger places that make aftermarket exhaust systems and some are cheap and some are good. You probably don't need stainless since rust isn't much of an issue there but you do want some good quality tubing that is .065" wall or so that is mandrel bent. I would suggest www.magnaflow.com or another quality company.
Let me know who makes the one you are looking at and I'll let you know if I have heard of them.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-07, 05:31 PM   #6
bassbooger

I ordered mine this morning from jegs.com

It is one that they make themselves, doesn't match up to Flowmaster but I got what I can afford. Should be here thursday (weather permitting), so i can take it Friday and have it mounted.
Old 02-13-07, 05:42 PM   #7
Bender

That is a good price and it looks pretty decent. .059" wall aluminized tubing should be just fine.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 05:55 PM   #8
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i had my flow masters custom fitted on the gold truck.. the black truck it was done by a moron but it worked..

the trick is to get the splitter muffler-i like thrush warlock-have the muffler guy bend the pipe. my black truck had duals that were welded togather 6" at a time. it cost more then having the gold truck pipes bent. the most exspensive part is the chrome tips -$50-$75 each- the entire thing on the gold truck cost like $300-with warlock muffler-

zooker
Old 02-15-07, 11:55 AM   #9
bassbooger

I hear ya Zook!! I bought the splitter muffler. In fact, it is sitting on my front porch right now waiting on me. I have already called the garage and they will weld it on for me for 80 bucks. That includes disposing of the old exhaust. Good thing I put in for a vacation day tomorrow or it would sit for a couple of months.
Old 02-15-07, 07:55 PM   #10
adamgambill

What kind of truck- motor size? etc. Im always happy to meet another gearhead. Mines a 2000 Chevrolet with the 5.3LHO. Ive got short tubes, 3" dual flowmaster, cold air kit, free mods, etc. It sounds good and runs good.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.