Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-07, 08:05 PM   #1
lost on water
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1978 Ranger AZTEC 1750v

I just purchased this boat and have several issues im trying to resolve
1 . the boat is in good condition for it's age has 115 johnson sea horse
2. took it out and it has trouble getting on plane from hole shot you have to ease into the power if not it just lifts the bow and digs it has a new raker 13.5" 18 prop came with the boat i dont know what belongs on it.and i only get 4500 rpm wot full trim .im looking for suggestions.

i will be fishing
northwest river
back bay
blackwater river
and any thing else within sight

thanks for any help
lost on water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 09:34 PM   #2
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

There are many on here that know more about these issues than I do. With that said, many of the older boats had a much tougher time getting on plane than the newer models. If you are only running 4500 RPM's at full throttle and the way you describe the hole shot I would say you are over-propped but many variables come into play. I would try to go down in pitch and see if that helps which I think it will.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 10:02 PM   #3
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

Looks like its overproped to me too. I dont know much about that style boat but I do know if your only getting 4500 wot you have too much prop. You should be running close to 5500. You may want to check that specific motor and see what the max rpm range is. The motor height will also effect the wot rpm and holeshot. I would look into checking that too.
Old 02-17-07, 05:58 PM   #4
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost on water View Post
I just purchased this boat and have several issues im trying to resolve
1 . the boat is in good condition for it's age has 115 johnson sea horse
2. took it out and it has trouble getting on plane from hole shot you have to ease into the power if not it just lifts the bow and digs it has a new raker 13.5" 18 prop came with the boat i dont know what belongs on it.and i only get 4500 rpm wot full trim .im looking for suggestions.

i will be fishing
northwest river
back bay
blackwater river
and any thing else within sight

thanks for any help

Lost,

GO HERE!

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/

Select BBC Boards (on the left menu,) then scroll down visit the General Bassboat Topics Forum, the Evinrude/Johnson Forum, and the Ranger Forum. There're a lot of knowledgeable folks (and some idiots) who'll be able to help you.

FlyRod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 08:01 PM   #5
lost on water
BassFishin.Com Member

Default info

thanks for the info im still tring to find out what rpop actually came on this boat.im going to run it again this wed in the nw river fresh fuel and some seafoam.thanks for the help . also if anybody has any tips for fishing the northwest river .put out at bobs} would be great.
Old 02-24-07, 08:52 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

From reading your post, by the wy that you say you have to throttle up there are some bigger issues you need to look at. You say you have to ease into it. With that raker on a 17 1/2 boat and that motor you should be able to nail the throttle and it just brake your neck getting on plane. Those older motors just LOVE rpms. What it sounds like to me is the motor is just way to deep. I need some more info or actually a pic would be great. I cant for the life of me remeber what the Aztec hull was like. That particular motor loves to be propped to run 5500 to 5800 WOT to stay alive. Bog em down and they self destruct. Is that boat a extremely deep V?????? Need more input to get you on track. Are you sure your tack is working properly. Thats another thing you need to look at. With that prop on a 115 she outta sound like she is gonna blow up and not be going anywhere. Make sure your tach is reading correctly and give me some more info on the hull and should be able to go a little farther.
Old 02-24-07, 02:47 PM   #7
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

how are you trimming that thing?..i know with my gambler i have to tuck the motor down as far as possible on launch or you'll be looking almost straight up.
also a little info here:Motor Specs
Manufacturer: Evinrude
Year: 1978
Horsepower: 115.0
Cylinders: 4
Type: 2 stroke
Gear Ratio: 2.00:1
Min WOT RPM: 4500
Max WOT RPM: 5500
Spline Count: 13

i'm not sure but i think you would want to go with a 17" prop to give you more r's

Last edited by bassintom; 02-24-07 at 02:54 PM.
bassintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 04:13 PM   #8
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

On my previous boat, a 16.5' Nitro with a 115 Merc and I had a 17 pitch prop on it and the RPM's were perfect with a good hole shot. Believe it or not, I tried numerous props and the best one I found was a Cabela's brand.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 07:33 PM   #9
lost on water
BassFishin.Com Member

Default ranger aztec

thanks guys i will post some pics sunday i went and ran the boat again sveral changes installed a hydra foil the previous owner had one installed he removed and didnt plug the holes so i did that it helped the hole shot when i blast off i trim it fully down it does get up on plane alot faster but now ive developed a fuel problem wont run above 4000 rpm untl i hit the choke for a second it takes off then slowes back down ive removed and rebuilt them also replaced all of the fuel line i found black chunks in the float bowl i will try to tun it sunday if it doesnt rain picks will follow also what mesurements do we need to get it right.

thanks
Old 02-25-07, 06:07 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

I have read your post again and it still puzzles me. Even though she is a little under powered (if memory serves me right this boat is 17 1.2ft long and its a little heavy that 115 oughta be up against the wall with the rpms` if the trim is working properly. 115's usually LOVE a 22 or 24 raker. I syill think his motor is way to deep for one and his tack is not operating properly. Is this hull an extremely deep vee????? I dont remeber.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.