Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-07, 10:29 PM   #1
BLWeng
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to BLWeng
Default Lake Okeechobee

Hey guys, we are going to Okeechobee the beginning of May. I was wandering what the lake is like, if it is dry, and how the fish are biting. We were there last year about the same time and for the lake, it wasn't that great. Very low, and air boats were everywhere, either giving tours or spraying to kill weeds and hydrilla. The canals on the Western side of the lake were pretty good. If anyone has been there recently, or Floridians, help me out. lol.
Thanks guys.
Old 04-12-07, 12:09 AM   #2
islandflyfisher

Send a message via AIM to islandflyfisher

I don't fish the lake, but hear some things about it. The water level now is five feet below what it should be. The level raised two inches last night due to much needed rain. For some reason, supposedly the risk of "saltwater intrusion", some dams have been open down further South by me. The South end of the lake is almost unfishable from what I hear. The water is too low to get to spots unless you have an airboat.
From what I hear, the Everglades is amazing right now. The low water forced all the fish into the canals. I have heard and read of averages of 60-70 fish per day, with one guide saying that he has caught a lot of big ones on a soft plastic frog and a worm weight, casting up into the pads and bringing it out. There was a picture of him holding a 7 pound something ounce fish in the paper down here.
I hope this helps, but things might change in the next few weeks. Hopefully we will get more rain.
islandflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 05:22 AM   #3
George_Welcome

The lake is presently 10' + above sea level, so short of some alien phenomenon there won't be any salt water intrusion. The lake is two feet above the 2001 low of 8' and change. If you know where you are going it's not a problem out there. If you don't then I would suggest getting a guide.

Do you realize the amount of rain it will take to raise water levels on a 700 square mile lake by two inches? "The level raised two inches last night due to much needed rain."?!?!?
Old 04-12-07, 12:40 PM   #4
islandflyfisher

Send a message via AIM to islandflyfisher

I just posted what I have been hearing. I am sorry if that was wrong, but if they got a 1/2 inch of rain up there, and a bunch of culverts lead to the lake, it makes sense to me. I don't understand the saltwater intrusion either, but can you give me an explanation as to why the dams have opened and shut over the last few day? I am sorry if any of my information was innacurate. I just posted what I have heard.
islandflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 09:17 PM   #5
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I haven't heard much good about the great O for quite awhile. Mainly from what I've heard, is find the clearer water, and you will catch some bass. It's had lot's of problems since the hurricane hit, and hasn't recouped yet. I also just saw a report on the tv that there are having a horrible time with runoff of chemicals in the lake. I would suggest getting a guide, they should be able to put you on fish, otherwise it's a huge body of water, and it could be a long day of nothing.

Lizards
Old 04-14-07, 12:42 AM   #6
southfloridatrophies
BassFishin.Com Member

Ive heard some pretty good reports as of two weekends ago from a buddy of mine. My friend and his partner caught around 15 pounds each day of a two day tourney. The winner brought in a 40 pound sack on the first day and around 20 the next, so theres still some bigguns in there. From what I hear it seems to be a much better bite over the last month and a half. I was on the lake from november through january and caught plenty of numbers but only a handfull were quality fish. Like the others said, you really need a guide to get on the fish because there's a crapload of grass and shoreline. It is really easy to get in trouble at the current lake level, so be very cautious if you're going out there on your own. There were a bunch of people messing up their boats during the small amount of time I was down there. I trolled into most of of the grass areas from a couple hundred yards away to be safe and that was at a lake level of over 11'. If youre gonna give it a go yourself then check out the east wall, towards the outer edge of the grass(not the part thats less than a foot deep). Also take a look at the grass outside cochrans pass(the entrance to moonshine bay). When the wind blows hard you can always find them in the rim ditch and canals connecting it to the main lake. If youre in the north end of the lake youll have to ask someone else because i never went that far in my 16 foot tracker. Anyways, good luck and catch a monster.
southfloridatrophies is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.