Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-07, 01:11 PM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Pointe Trip

I donated a trip for two to the CCA No VA chapter and this weekend I took two fly only fisherman out. Friday night arrived at my house on the Piankatank River and prepped rods and flys and leaders for a run up the Dragon Swamp in my jet boat. At early morning the fog was thick and the sky overcast so a later arrival than predawn was needed. First spot was a great spot with lots of LGMouth from previous trips caught there. But we zipped on that spot not even a flash on our hair bugs. Casting very good and placement of flies where within the zone. Nada .. very odd. Upon retreaving a fly from some overhanging brush I noticed a bunch of crabs.. HMMM too salty I guess and tasted the water.. it had extra salt in it.. Uck.
So we motored up the swamp to a more fresh water area. And with in two casts had a fish on. Missed a few and some came to the boat. Tide was high and getting even higher. Fish where moving back into the no reach zones of the swamp. Then the clouds cleared and somebody turned off the fish bite switch.

It was then we decided for some shade areas and few more fish swung at the flys and missed. So we went way up the Dragon and got into some close quarter fly fishing.. Some fish where caught but no no big ones.
It was tough to get the fly right and out of the trees with the huge thorns on them and the dead wood that could be broken. AHHRG...
That evening in the cool winds we fished a normally productive creek mouth for convict bass and got zipped again.
Next morning with a plan in my mind to beat the blue bird skys we headed out to Windmill Pointe to chase birds and blues and macs.. On the way out we saw a tandom green kayak just floating down the bay. I could not make if people where in it or not. 15 minutes later we heard the radio call to the Coast Guard of a boat finding it empty. Sounds like they got a free kayak if nobody claims it. Hope it just blew off a dock too.
So no birds at all out there.. They must be in the local McDonalds parking lot.. we ran above the Rapp down to the Wolf trap light house and no birds.. we did find some blues just before Northern Reef but no big ones just dinks. At Wolf trap we got a croaker and that was it. So back up into Hole in the Wall and found some dink convict bass at the Gwynns Island bridge.

After that we headed home for cold AC as the sun was getting warm again..
A great weekend with great guys and cool weather.
Capt Mike
Old 08-13-07, 03:50 PM   #2
3dkicker

You getting those fish warmed up for us next month???

Saw an article in the latest W&W mag. about big blue cats on the Potomac. Author said that there was only one cat guide on the river that he knew about and it wasn't you. What's the deal with that???
Old 08-13-07, 09:10 PM   #3
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
You getting those fish warmed up for us next month???

Saw an article in the latest W&W mag. about big blue cats on the Potomac. Author said that there was only one cat guide on the river that he knew about and it wasn't you. What's the deal with that???
Really that is cool.

What was his name?

Capt Mike
Old 08-14-07, 04:15 PM   #4
3dkicker

Don't remember the guides name. I'll check when I get home tonight and post it tomorrow. The author said he met him at a show and thought he guided on the James but found out that he didn't. They, author and son, caught 34 blues and weighed over 1000 lbs combined. Big fish was just shy of 50lbs. Caught the fish in the Smoot's to Ft. Wash area according to the story.
You can probably look the article up online.
Old 08-15-07, 08:02 AM   #5
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I remember that article. Mike, I think I might have mentioned it to you once when we were fishing. I couldn't and can't remember the name either.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-07, 08:44 AM   #6
Captmikestarrett

Dave you have the weekend of the August 31st thru Sept 3rd free?

Come to the Pointe with Horizon Bass Club.. 50 bucks will feed you the entire weekend..

Capt Mike
Old 08-15-07, 03:37 PM   #7
dave

Hopes were up until I remembered a family reunion.
Old 08-15-07, 03:38 PM   #8
dave

I am going to find my way down there with you someday. I've been hearing about it for years.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.