Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-07, 02:57 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Big Mama’s Friend – Fishing Report 08-21-2007

Big Mama’s Friend – Fishing Report 08-21-2007

The gut feeling of mine that I have come to trust when it comes to knowing when to fish had created an overwhelming urge to go the a nearby lake this evening. I got all of the honey do items on my list done pronto!

The conditions lately have been a mild cooling from relatively warm temperatures and sunny to gray clouds and overcast skies.

My nephew, two-year-old son, and I arrived at the lake at about 8:00 PM made our way to the dock. Darkness was well set into motion. Not surprisingly, the fish were already active. They watched the small fish pursue even smaller fish as I prepped their rods with the lure of their choice.

Despite my recommendation of tying on a crankbait, both of them chose to use some homemade, hand-tied bucktail jigs. I had already decided to go with a crankbait, but since I already had a popper tied on from a previous trip, I thought I’d give it a few casts.

Even with all of the activity on the water, the popper failed to produce, but I didn’t think that it would. Many previous outings last year under similar conditions have yielded the same result.

Then, as I begin tying on the crankbait, my son tells me that he just dropped his Superman rod into the drink. I kept warning him not to slash at the water’s surface because he might drop it, but I guess some lessons and best learned the hard way. It was already dark and there was no way that I or any of the swimmers (bless them for trying to recover it in about 6’ of water) were going to be able to find it.

He was very upset gave a resounding, “No!” when I offered to have him fish with my rod, crossed arms and face! Oh well. He needed to cool off.

The first few casts were fruitless but they told me where the top of the grass line was. I tried to mimic the speed at which I thought the little ones were being chased. Then, I made one cast just in front of some pads and worked it over some grass, allowing the crankbait to touch the top of the grass so I could rip through it. The rip was followed with a pause and then a couple turns of the crank with another pause.

On that pause, I felt the take and it wasn’t subtle at all! This was not a drop shot nibble. This was an authoritative, “I want you, you tasty looking crankbait” type of strike. I started to reel up the remaining slack and the bass did the rest to make the line taut, essentially setting the hook on itself.

I was very excited because I knew it was a good-sized fish. I was also not fearful of losing it at all. In retrospect, I was actually quite calm until I realized that the line I had on the reel was 6# test and the rod in hand was rated for 8-17. I loosened my drag slightly to compensate. I called my nephew over and offered to have him take on the fight but he declined, even after I insisted. Bummer. I told my son to come and fight it and he told me he only catches little fish. Goodness gracious!! I’m going to need to have a talk with both of them!

She fought hard and tough and I can count two moments of stalemate in the fight. Her pull was reminiscent of a chum and her vigor that of a smallmouth. She was most impressive throughout the battle. I kept steady pressure throughout the bout and my patience was about to pay dividends. When she finally surfaced, I noticed immediately that her aggressive strike placed both trebles in her mouth. Yikes! With a three-beam guardrail in my way, I would be forced to reach for her under the lowest rail and risk a treble or two in my hand if she gave a last second shake for freedom. Fortunately, she played dead and that made it easier for me grab her.

I lipped her and I couldn’t believe I was “Iaconelli-ing” at the top of my lungs. I did not however run around the dock as if it were the deck of the boat. My nephew snapped a few photos. He also declined a picture with the bass so I placed her into the water with both hands to let her go. The swimmers in the water were close by and one of them jokingly asked, “You mean I’m swimming in this lake with something that big?”

Despite being stoked, I also felt a bit sad. My son lost his rod (next time he’s going to use the leash I devised) and try as I might I can’t seem to get them into bass. I guess there’s always next time.

One last thing to note: Right after the catch, the activity ceased. There might be something to the theory of fish releasing those panic chemicals to warn others. My nephew noticed it the same time I did. He’s well on his way to becoming a great and observant angler!

Don’t know her weight but I could care less.

A Little Jimmy Houston love.

Conditions: Overcast, mild
Rod/Reel: 6’6” 2-piece MH Shimano Compre/Daiwa 1500
Line: 6# Stren Mono (first time fishing with this line. Thumbs up!)
Lure: Rapala DT6, Firetiger pattern (I knew this was the ticket tonight)
Old 08-24-07, 07:08 AM   #2
brushhog

IB - congrats, that's a great fish. don't worry about the boys they'll get into it as long as you keep it positive and let them do what they want while they are out! I was fishing a fire tiger yesterday too, but not with the same luck! Good to see you back around...
Old 08-24-07, 11:44 AM   #3
doc

Nice fish, sorry to hear about the lost rod. I currently use one of these to help with that problem http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...&currentPage=0
Fairly inexpensive expecially compared to a new rod, great for kids.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 05:03 PM   #4
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Looks like a solid 4lbs. Congrats on the nice fish. Dont worry 'bout the kids, they'll come around.
Old 08-25-07, 03:26 AM   #5
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Nice fish, sorry to hear about the lost rod. I currently use one of these to help with that problem http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...&currentPage=0
Fairly inexpensive expecially compared to a new rod, great for kids.
Thanks for the tip. I ave actually devised a little something for when my 7 year old daughter fishes with my green curado. I just forgot to bring it that day for my son. I don't mind a superman rod falling into the drink, but a curado is another story!

I guess you can call it a rod leash. As long as it is on the casting hand, the cord does not get in the way and if anyone accidentally lets go of their rod, it will not fall into the water.
Old 08-25-07, 12:47 PM   #6
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Your 7 year old daughter can use a baitcaster??? Thats awesome!
Old 08-29-07, 07:34 PM   #7
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher02 View Post
Your 7 year old daughter can use a baitcaster??? Thats awesome!
Yeah. One dark and rainy night last year while we were in the garage, I thought, heck, I bet my little girl can get this baitcast thing down. So I handed her my curado bsf with rod and showed her how to hold it. She already knew how to use a spinning reel, but she tires because the are inherently heavier.

The only thing I told her to keep in mind was this thought: No matter what happens after you cast, make sure your thumb stops the spool from spinning BEFORE the lure hits ground.

One of the rare times she ever listens, she didn't exactly as I instructed with an underhand cast. Not even a loop of overrun. The first words out of her mouth were, "Papi, I like this reel much better than the other (spinning) kind. It is so much easier to use."

The only thing I can say to that is, "That's my little girl!" She claimed the green curado as hers since that day.

With her "new" reel, my green curado.

Jigging for salmon in the salt with a RH abu g and 8'6" Lamiglas steelhead rod. You can see the leash in action on her wrist. I made it to prevent the accidental dropping of a rig into the drink. It's a long way down to the bottom.
Old 08-29-07, 08:49 PM   #8
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Nice bass, and a "OUTSTANDING STORY"! When I was a kid, I wanted to catch fish, so crappy and bluegills were great. Now I don't care so much about catching a lot of fish, I just want "HAWGS".

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.