Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-07, 08:35 PM   #1
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default tube baits

hey all, i just started fishing with a tube took me all summer but i did and i am catching fish, but the next couple lakes i fish are real heavy cover and i dont know how to fish it weedless or if u can use the tube head jig a weedless style, any way i fish on wednesday. the way i have been trying is texas style but it seems like i waste more tubes than i catch fish so ane help would be appreciated. also the color thing is hard for me the only 1 i used is green how do u match colors, the lake is very murcy with sharp drop offs.
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-07, 08:51 PM   #2
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

If you are just trying to make a tube weedless without a jighead, simply use a smaller r-bend or EWG hook, and do what you would usually do T-rigging. Now if you are trying to use a tube as a trailer on a jig, simply get a jig with a weedgaurd, and thread on the tube, keeping the hook exposed. matching jig skirts and trailers isnt so much a big deal. Sometimes not matching the 2 will actually work to your advantage, I believe Zooker mis-matches colors.
Old 09-04-07, 07:04 PM   #3
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

thank you ill try it tomorrow
Old 09-04-07, 11:56 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i really like these tube weights for rigging weedless. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults
Old 09-05-07, 11:07 PM   #5
millsryno
BassFishin.Com Member

I have 2 favorite ways to throw a tube. In deeper water, usually around a lot of riprap and rock, I like to throw a 3.5" salty tube on a texas rig, with a small weight. the smaller the weight the better, just enough to get it down there and feel contact with bottom.

For flipping, I go with a 5.5" flipping salty tube. They are made with extra salt in them so you can fish them weightless. They flip far and sink without a sinker. The action is awesome.

I just got serious into tubes last year and now I have them tied on at all times.
Old 09-06-07, 11:38 AM   #6
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For really clear water I shove splitshots into the the tube before T-rigging it. It lets me use various sizes for different depths and I have more splitshots than I'll ever use otherwise.
Old 09-06-07, 02:31 PM   #7
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

i like a bullet style weight for tubes it gives it a more crawfish like action. the weights that c rig reccomends have more of a baitfish appearance because the weight is through the whole tube so it appears more horizontal when it falls. the bullett weight falls with a vertical action and has a more erratic action when you peg the weight.
Old 09-06-07, 03:06 PM   #8
robbor
BassFishin.Com Member

Default bass casting weight

push a small bass casting weight up your tubes butt and then rig it like a worm but make shure you get the hook throught the eye on the weight. Very simple and cheap.
robbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-07, 04:03 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd rig the tube Texas style for going weedless, but to not lose a ton of tube, go with the right hook. I use this hook for more than just weedless though, but it will solve your texas rig tube loosing problem. Its the GAMAKATSU MAX GAP SURE GRIP HOOKS. I don't know if BPS or Cabelas will have them, I have to get them from my local lure building/tackle shop. Here's a pick and a website you can get 'em from.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/gamakat...ks/830900.aspx

BB144
Old 09-09-07, 07:49 PM   #10
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

thank u to all, fishing a big tournament on hubbard lake here in michigan and thats about the only bait that u can catch them on there so ill try these tricks out and let u know how i did
Old 09-09-07, 09:09 PM   #11
Rebbasser

If you don't want a weight outside the tube use a small bell sinker. Insert it in the tube with the brass ring pointed towards the open end of the tube. When you insert the hook run the hook through the brass ring like so:

and rigged:

No, I can't take credit for that one-learned it from a guide on Lake Ray Roberts up north of Ft. Worth.
Old 09-10-07, 10:23 AM   #12
Mac10

In thin weeds or non weedy areas, I use the bubby rig......simply squeeze a splitshot on the outside, on the curved belly of the hook underneath the middle of the tube. This outside weight catches and releases on the bottom and rocks the tube and shakes the tail when doing so. It also makes a little noise when dragging on the bottom, probably raising a little silt and clicking when hitting pebbles.

Also, tear out every third tentacle on the skirt, much more freedom of tail action.

Last edited by Mac10; 09-10-07 at 10:24 AM. Reason: omission
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-07, 12:39 PM   #13
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

For four inch tubes I ALWAYS texas rig mine with a tru tungsten sinker and a 4/0 gamakatsu EWG hook. I always use a 7ft heavy rod with this too. Flippin tubes and heavy cover just go together.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-07, 07:27 PM   #14
3dkicker

Some tubes hold up real well when fished in heavy cover and some don't. Try some different brands to find out which work best for you. T-rig them with an EWG hook and you can peg the weight. Or you can use a screw type bullet weight if the head is thick enough to hold it. Use size and color to match the crawfish. Currently the bass on the Potomac are eating small brown/grey craws with red legs and pinchers. So a 3" brown/red tube should do the trick. If they were eating 5-6" green/brown craws then I'd throw a bigger bait, probably a 5" or a 6" Goliath in GP. Make sure you match the hook size with the bait, remember length and thickness matter (or so I'm told ). 2/0 for 3", 3/0 or 4/0 for 4" and 4/0 or 5/0 for 5" and definately a 5/0 + for the big boy tube.
Most common color craw around here is a mix of green/brown/grey with black spots and orange claws. They're normally around 3.5 to 4.5 inches.

Last edited by 3dkicker; 09-10-07 at 07:48 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-07, 04:15 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Reb, that's an awesome idea, thanks for sharing it, I'm gonna go try that when I'm done here.
Old 09-17-07, 08:41 PM   #16
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks again guys all ideas are helping and making me a better fisherman
Old 09-19-07, 06:30 AM   #17
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
If you don't want a weight outside the tube use a small bell sinker. Insert it in the tube with the brass ring pointed towards the open end of the tube. When you insert the hook run the hook through the brass ring like so:

and rigged:

No, I can't take credit for that one-learned it from a guide on Lake Ray Roberts up north of Ft. Worth.

SSHHHHHH!!! Reb we know that rig dont work......

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.