Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-08, 04:42 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Questions about fishing logs.

I've got a couple questions about keeping a fishing log.

1. When you record air/water temps, do you record at the begging of each trip, or at the end, or at the time of each catch, or something different?

2. Do you recorde barometric pressure. If so, do you write like High, Low, Etc?

thanks again,
BB
Old 01-03-08, 04:54 PM   #2
BigBassin144

I forgot to mention, If anyone has a good fishing log setup they'd like to share. I think that would greatly help. I am very intersted to see what other people do for fishing logs.

Thanks again,
BB
Old 01-03-08, 05:10 PM   #3
Bass'n'cast
BassFishin.Com Active Member

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=13923
Bass'n'cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 06:33 PM   #4
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

It may take some commitment, but you should record at the time of each catch. This is because sometimes quick changes in temperature or weather will be what gets the fish active, and you want these changes noticeable when you're skimming over your fishing log at the end of the year so you know when to look for active fish.

If you go to a weather website, you can normally find the barometric pressure along with the other weather data.

If you come home after a late night's fishing and you want to record what the weather was at the time of your catch, but you don't want to do it at midnight when you get home, then this will come in REAL handy. It is just an hourly past weather database.

-Take the "xxxxx" and replace it with your zip-code.
-Take the "mmddyy" and replace it with the date in that format.

Here is the URL if you don't feel like typing it in :
http://www.weather.com/weather/pastw...=0&when=070707
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 01:03 PM   #5
BigBassin144

That's awesome Joolz! Thanks. It's great you can actually check out the weather form the day before.

BB
Old 01-04-08, 02:32 PM   #6
mplspug
BassFishin.Com Member

When it comes to logs, the more you record and the more detail, the better. Of course you have to strike a balance between keeping fishing fun and not work. You definitley should try and log at least the weather/water conditions at the begining and the end of the trip or when you decide to fish a new pattern. And I do usually leave much of the weather info for after the trip like jooleyen and look it up. But you usually don't have that luxury with water conditions like the temperature. I think the most important thing is to record trips where you have a bad day or get skunked. You'll then have some info about places and patterns to avoid when similar conditions arise.
mplspug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 06:50 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Thanks for all the help guys, and again, Joolz, that weather site is great.

By the way, Welcome to the forum mplspug!

BB
Old 01-04-08, 07:24 PM   #8
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplspug View Post
When it comes to logs, the more you record and the more detail, the better. Of course you have to strike a balance between keeping fishing fun and not work. You definitley should try and log at least the weather/water conditions at the begining and the end of the trip or when you decide to fish a new pattern. And I do usually leave much of the weather info for after the trip like jooleyen and look it up. But you usually don't have that luxury with water conditions like the temperature. I think the most important thing is to record trips where you have a bad day or get skunked. You'll then have some info about places and patterns to avoid when similar conditions arise.
I think that's a good point about recording trips where you get skunked. Most people would probably focus on their successes (number and size of fish, etc). If you're trying to build yourself a long-term useful fishing journal, knowing what not to use (or what to save for last because of previous experience) would be extremely useful information.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 07:45 PM   #9
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

No problem man. And yes, do record when you get skunked. Add a notes/what i learned section to your log and record every day you go.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 08:09 PM   #10
JB

once you start to log every event and get the hang of, you'll become a
weather channel junkie reading conditions and planning your strategy for the pattern
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 11:30 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
once you start to log every event and get the hang of, you'll become a
weather channel junkie reading conditions and planning your strategy for the pattern
Sounds fun... But I've learned not to trust the weathermen. That happened this summer one day while it was raining. I was watching for the forecast for the next day and While they were going over today's weather they said it wasn't going to rain. While it was raining!

Just my opinion though.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.