Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-08, 12:33 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Hard Water

Well, the water isstarting to freeze - again! After a good week and a half of unfrozen water, the ice is starting to form from the Arctic Blast we've been having. I'm hoping to get out either tonight or tomorrow (or Monday. No school, Martin Luther King Day). Might have to bring the ladder to reach safe ice; yesterday we got out (checking ice), and the ice started to crack 5' out. Hopefully bringin' home a bucket of slabs soon!

-Lunk-
Old 01-20-08, 02:53 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

lol, you ice fisherman are nuts man. i'm sure ice fishing is fun and it's something i wouldn't mind trying once. but if i got 5' out and it started cracking.....i would find a hobby or something that cause me to !@#$ my pants.
Old 01-20-08, 10:36 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I won't go out unless the majority of the ice is 4-5"

Unless I go out in an airboat of course. Although nobody we know has one.. yet. A friend is supposed to get one this year or next.

BB
Old 01-20-08, 02:23 PM   #4
chubs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

5 inches I'd be out there on my quad.Ive fished 2 miles out on lake Superior on three!Just be careful and carry a rope and picks with you if your worried.The picks have dragging me out of the water a few times, always fish with a buddy on thin ice.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 02:41 PM   #5
lunker-lander

Well, we did get out today, and were sitting on about 4-5" of ice, some areas probably 3.5". We made three sets in all of four hours, only catching about eight bluegill, crappie, sunfish, pike, and shiner. On the first set, we sat about fifteen minutes, nothing, so we moved up the lake a tad.

After wrestling to bore a hole with our 8" auger, we make two more holes and set the coop down. In about five minutes of jigging, my Jig Rod doubles-over, and as fast as he hit, he was gone. Pike. After this, hits come from right and left. (We were sight-fishing through the holes). We would see the fish come up, slow down our jigging action... Whaaam! They would smash and up they came. The action started to slow down after about seven fish. During this set, my dad hooked-up with an 8" shiner, but she came un-buttoned at the hole. Dang! That would have made some dandy Pike bait!

After this we move again, nothing. Finally, we end up back at the holes where we were originally catching them and tag one more.

Headin' home....

-Lunk-
Old 01-20-08, 10:02 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubs View Post
5 inches I'd be out there on my quad.Ive fished 2 miles out on lake Superior on three!Just be careful and carry a rope and picks with you if your worried.The picks have dragging me out of the water a few times, always fish with a buddy on thin ice.
So what's happens if the ice decides to give out under your quad and it ends up at the bottom of Superior? Just a thought.

LL, our 1/2 acre pond isn't even completely frozen yet! it's insane. It 8 degrees right now and there should be at least and inch of ice on the pond by now. Where do you guys fish at?

BB
Old 01-20-08, 10:05 PM   #7
lunker-lander

We normally ice fish a couple ponds around our house, but today we went to a mill-pond about 10 miles North of us in Addison, MI. We hope to get out next weekend to round Lake and fish for 'eyes.

-Lunk-
Old 01-20-08, 10:47 PM   #8
BigBassin144

We are going with a friend to Devils this winter. winter is the only time you can really fish those lakes with all the freakin Jet-skiers. (they're pretty fun though.)

BB
Old 01-20-08, 10:58 PM   #9
lunker-lander

Devils' twin, Round Lake, is twice as good as Devils, although you need to know the access site(s), which I so dearly keep to me and my Dad...

-Lunk-
Old 01-20-08, 11:19 PM   #10
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

There's no safe I near me yet.I'll go out on 3" if someone else goes first.
Last winter we only had a week of ice fishing.It's that tween time here,ice around the edges can't get the boat in and it's not safe enough to ice fish.Found a good hobby for when I can't fish.
Old 01-21-08, 08:27 PM   #11
lunker-lander

We were hittin' the walleye on three today. The ice was clear as crystal, could see at least 15' down; no fish though.

-Lunk
Old 01-21-08, 08:51 PM   #12
basskicker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

the only way im getting out on the water in the winter is if you can get a boat out there. if not then you can count me out. just feel uncomfortable about "inches" of ice.
Old 01-21-08, 09:55 PM   #13
lunker-lander

I've seen guys up here workin' the first ice (the best) in Jon Boats out on the ice. They're suited up in life jackets, got screwdrivers tethered to their bodies, etc. I like ice fishin', but not enough to go out there in a dman boat!

-Lunk-
Old 01-26-08, 07:56 PM   #14
basskickerz_cuz
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to basskickerz_cuz Send a message via Yahoo to basskickerz_cuz

I don't think I would ever go out on ice unless my life depended on it. Especially if were measuring in inches and not feet. Just my phobia I guess. And I guess living in Tennessee doesn't help to much. Not much ice here anyways.
Old 01-26-08, 08:10 PM   #15
BigBassin144

I was watching something about ice safty on the news since this is a big deal in my area due to Lake Erie. They showed a chart of ice thicknesses and things it will suport.

2" or less- Stay Off!
3"- OK as long as people are spread out.
4"- ok for groups of people.
5" ok for ATV's/Snowmobiles
then like above 8" was ok for small trucks and cars.

I wouldn't take and ATV or snowmobile out unless there were 8". And 4" is my minumum for people, even spread out. The thing that worries me about 3" is that it may not be 3" everywhere.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.