Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-08, 01:01 PM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Hummingbird's Side Imaging

Hey Gang,

I am in the market for upgrading from an older X65 lowrance to the new hummingbird 979 c2si unit, from what I've read I definitely want the chip capable unit for upgrades and such. Has anyone used the new technology yet? I met a guy in a tourney who had one..he didn't do well, but he also said he hadn't figured it out yet and spent most of the day with his eyes glued on the thing (I think if I spent that much $$ on a fishfinder I would study the manual a bit) his side image pics however were amazing!! I'm only thinking of buying one because the company I work with can get 40% off humminbird, but only til March. I think I would be stupid to pass this up..what's your thoughts...love to hear from anyone who is using the side imaging technology...
Old 01-24-08, 02:13 PM   #2
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Heck yeah

Hey,
I have one of the 797 side imaging units. I like it a lot or at least what I have been able to figure out of it. It is pretty complicated and the manual isn't that good. Who needs manuals anyway right? The neatest thing about it is you can move the cursor to the structure you are looking at and tell exactly how far from the boat it is. First time I used it was at KY Dam village and there was a sunken boat there that you could see exactly what it was. Appeared to be some type of run about. Also things like the cables and wires run underneath the Marina. Pretty cool and at 40% off you can't go wrong. Make sure you get the ones with the hotmaps because they are very accurate on the topos that they have. Only problem I have had is tranducer placement. To get it to work at high speed it throws water back into my boat. Not a lot but enough to anoy me. But I don't fish out of a true bass boat. It is Monark 195 King and the hull on it is more V shaped. I make due though.

I give it an A++++++++++++++.

BP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 03:58 PM   #3
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

1. You can't run wide open and expect to see everything.
2. You must install the depth finder on the out side.
Old 01-24-08, 04:40 PM   #4
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

For the best technology in the fishing world, and at 40% off, I think it would be dumb not to upgrade. I saw it on Hank Parkers Outdoor Magazine and the pictures it produced were amazing!

-Lunk-
Old 01-24-08, 06:13 PM   #5
barkelypup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnman30 View Post
1. You can't run wide open and expect to see everything.
2. You must install the depth finder on the out side.

No No maybe I wasn't clear if so my bad. In order to get the thing to work as a flasher, was not talking about using the side scan at high speeds, (about 4 mph is optimal speed for side scan) Just in order to get it to work as a flasher. In the place that is suggested in the instructions it sprays water back in my boat. The transducer on this unit is very large, you may have one though. When I moved it to try to get the spray to lay down I am getting a lot of churn or air bubbles. I am just curious what do you mean by insalling depth finder on the out side? Ohh yeah and one more thing. At 40% off I would consider buying a few of them for ebay. Just a thought though.

Thanks,
BP
Old 01-24-08, 07:16 PM   #6
Bob Smith

My neighbor is a deputy with the county Sheriff's department and that's the unit they have on the county department boat. They used it last year to locate a drowning victim with amazing clarity He is getting one to put on his Skeeter, but the only downside is that you Have to put the skimmer style transducer on the outside to be able to achieve the side scanning feature. I hate drilling holes in my transom and I think you have to go all the way down under the "setback" or "offset" on high performance boats. If you fish a lot of timber filled lakes and tend to knock the thing out of position, that could quickly become a real pain in the arse!
Old 01-24-08, 10:35 PM   #7
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Good point, Bob! I wouldn't have the balls to take a Skeeter in less than 5' though!

-Lunk-
Old 01-24-08, 10:43 PM   #8
barkelypup

It goes directly on the back of the boat and is designed as is most Newer Humminbird transducers to break away when or if it comes in contact with anything. that was also a problem I was having with mine. It would break away because it was dragging so much water.

BP
Old 01-25-08, 12:00 AM   #9
bassinbob

Bob, I am a vol. fire fighter. I live in a town along a river. I have often thought about getting one of these units to help locate drowning victims. As for now we just drag the bottom hoping to locate a victim. I will make it a point to bring this matter up to the body for consideration. It is very hard to be unable to locate someone's loved one as they wait along the river bank. Having one of these units will undoubtly shorten the wait for the victim's family and loved ones.
Old 01-25-08, 12:09 AM   #10
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Bob, I am a vol. fire fighter. I live in a town along a river. I have often thought about getting one of these units to help locate drowning victims. As for now we just drag the bottom hoping to locate a victim. I will make it a point to bring this matter up to the body for consideration. It is very hard to be unable to locate someone's loved one as they wait along the river bank. Having one of these units will undoubtly shorten the wait for the victim's family and loved ones.
Bob, tell them to contact the Bartow County Sheriff's Department in Georgia. I don't have the number handy but it should be in the 770 area code. My neighbor said the image is unmistakable!
Old 01-25-08, 09:09 AM   #11
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thanks guys, I'm not too worried about installing it on the outside of the transom, that's where the current lowrance is installed so I'll just end up replacing the transducer in the same spot...Berk-I would love to pick up a few more, but we are only allowed to purchase up to $1500 worth of retail..so if I get the finder at MSRP of $1199 I won't be able to get a whole lot more, but am thinking of buying the additional platinum hotmaps software package--This will atleast give me something to do until the ice thaws..
Old 01-25-08, 04:16 PM   #12
barkelypup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
Thanks guys, I'm not too worried about installing it on the outside of the transom, that's where the current lowrance is installed so I'll just end up replacing the transducer in the same spot...Berk-I would love to pick up a few more, but we are only allowed to purchase up to $1500 worth of retail..so if I get the finder at MSRP of $1199 I won't be able to get a whole lot more, but am thinking of buying the additional platinum hotmaps software package--This will atleast give me something to do until the ice thaws..

Maybe you could talk one of your coworkers who are not going to buy anyhting to pick it up for you and you pay for it. Those things are hot right now and if somebody can pick one up on ebay for 20% less they will jump on it. Just a thought. I would def. get one though.

BP

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.