Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-08, 09:41 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Ice Fishing.

Well, this was our first trip ice fishing this year that took us out of our backyard. Anyways, our plan was to head to Devil's Lake in Michigan with a friend of my dads and catch some perch, then bring them home and cook 'em.

We got to our friend's cottage around 8:30am. He showed us around since we'd never been there. He showed us his garage full of tackle and his new bass boat which I'm going to get to fish from this summer .

Anyways we headed out and kept testing our depth until we were in about 20' of water. we fished there for a while then moved out to about 25'. Still nothing. After a while at 25' our friend started getting bites. They were very light, but even big perch bite light in winter. Then my dad starting getting small bites too. It was now about 12:00 and we had still not caught anything. Then my dad finally gets whatever was biting his line. Thankfully it was a perch... although it was a 5" perch.... Nothing else until about 1:00 or 1:30, so we decided to leave.

On our way home we took a little detour to Hudson Lake. We talked to a couple of guys, one who had also just been up to Devil's before he came there. Well, we went out to about 19-20' of water and caught maybe 6 or 7 small crappie, bluegill and 1 small perch. Nothing over 5" though.

As we headed home my dad decided he wanted to try one more place. so we headed to a local reservoir. We could tell there had been quite a few people out there today. it was about 5:30 when we got there, we had about and hour before it got dark. In that hour we caught lots of small bluegill, two bluegill about 6", a couple small perch and two 9" perch.

We ended the day by eating dinner (not fish though ) and then filleting our two perch. At least we caught a lot of fish. about 20-22 total, just not many keepers.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.