Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-08, 07:14 PM   #1
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Carolina Rig stuff

As a big fan of the C-Rig, I'm curious as to how other folks fish it. Depth, terminal tackle, plastic, season, leader length, etc? Thanks!!!
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 07:38 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i like throwing it on a 7' mh rod, with either 12lb. or 15lb. seaguar flourocarbon line. i really like the mojo style weights, depending on wind and depth i will use anywhere from a 5/16oz up to a 1oz weight and usually a 5/0 wide gap worm hook. now i am using carolina keepers too instead of a swivel and i really like them. lizzards, french fries, centipedes, senkos are the baits i throw on a carolina rig the most but it has no limits as far as different baits. for leader length i will go anywhere from 3' to 16" and usually water clarity will determine this. the darker the water the closer i want my bait to the noise of the weight. the carolina rig will catch fish year round but i throw it most in the post spawn days when i can't get wind.

Last edited by carolina-rig-01; 02-21-08 at 07:48 PM.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 07:47 PM   #3
pignjig

Great stuff, C-Rig! I heard a fella talking about this technique years ago and decided to try it out. It's been a go to ever since- 'specially when the bite is scarce. Have you ever tied a jig on instead of a weight/bead/swivel? I've even heard of guys tying on a floating crankbait instead of plastic. For what it's worth, the centipedes, brush hogs and lizards work the best for me. Thanks for the info!!
Old 02-21-08, 08:53 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

i have used a jig instead of a weight and it works. i really have no reason for not using it more, i guess i just don't think of it. i haven't used a crankbait behind it but i have heared of guys doing that.
Old 02-21-08, 09:45 PM   #5
zooker

i use no more than 1/2 oz weights with glass beads. i use lizards,french frys,ribbon tailed worms, and trick worms.. i use 3/0 ewg hooks..

any more than 1/2 oz weight and you can not feel the bait -even with braid- all you can feel is the heavy weight diggin in the bottom.. not the bait bumpin struture..

zooker
Old 02-21-08, 10:01 PM   #6
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i use no more than 1/2 oz weights with glass beads. i use lizards,french frys,ribbon tailed worms, and trick worms.. i use 3/0 ewg hooks..

any more than 1/2 oz weight and you can not feel the bait -even with braid- all you can feel is the heavy weight diggin in the bottom.. not the bait bumpin struture..

zooker
Zooker you and I finally went in different directions. You just told these folks something that is simply not so. I use 3/4 oz to 1 oz cylindrical Brass Weights (Top Brass Pro-Jo) on 30-50# power pro Braid with 4-5' long 14# mono leaders and catch the living devil out of fish everywhere I go. I feel the bottom very well and the fish do NOT feel the weight. I don't depend on the bait to feel the cover on the bottom, I use the weight to feel the bottom cover to determine what the content is. I feel the bite very easily with the braid when a fish mouths the bait. I also use glass with a rass disc type clacker for a sound additive. I use the exact same set up deep, shallow, clear or dirty water with the same success.
No offense Zooker, but I have been doing that same thing since they came out with braid, and brass.
Old 02-21-08, 10:22 PM   #7
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post

zooker
Same here. 1/2 oz. egg sinker, glass bead, barrel swivel. Trick Worms, french fry's, curly-tails, etc.

-Lunk-
Old 02-22-08, 11:15 AM   #8
pignjig

Man, this info is great! I appreciate all ya'll's feedback. Got another question- On the retrieve, vertical or horizontal? I started out with the horizontal and got used to it whether I'm fishing fast or slow. I've just got more confidence that way. A good buddy of mine almost always retrieves it to about a 12 oclock position. Any strong opinions either way? Thanks!

Jaison
Old 02-22-08, 11:40 AM   #9
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignjig View Post
Man, this info is great! I appreciate all ya'll's feedback. Got another question- On the retrieve, vertical or horizontal? I started out with the horizontal and got used to it whether I'm fishing fast or slow. I've just got more confidence that way. A good buddy of mine almost always retrieves it to about a 12 oclock position. Any strong opinions either way? Thanks!

Jaison

Either works, but most folks will tell you that the horizontal is best because you have a more natural hookset to the side vs overhead. I just use whichever retrieve is the most comfortable for that day. With Carpel tunnel syndrome, you find yourself adjusting constantly to keep from wearing down too early.
Old 02-22-08, 11:44 AM   #10
Texas_Justice85
BassFishin.Com Member

I do mine a lil diff than most do. I put 2 tungsten 1/8oz egg weights on first. I usually have a 7' med heavy rod with 80lb superbraid. then after the egg weights i slide on a red bead. I then tie on a barrell swivel. Then I tie on about 2 or so feet of yo zuri hybrid 15lb clear followed by a 3/0 or 4/0 Owner EWG hook. I usually use either a brush hog, a lizard, french fry, senko, or my fav the GrandeBass Mutant.
Old 02-22-08, 02:48 PM   #11
pignjig

Bob, sorry about that carpal tunnel stuff. My ol' pop has it and it ain't nothin' fun. He says that's his reward for working hard his whole life.

TJ85, how come two weights? That's pretty interesting- Do you get more feel or does it make a little more noise?

Thanks!!
Old 02-22-08, 03:01 PM   #12
pignjig

Well, it just goes to show, I shouldn't so fast to post-

CRig01- I meant to ask you about those carolina keepers- Do you have much problem with 'em slipping on hangups? I've talked to a couple other guys and one says he does and the other says no. What're your thoughts?

TJ85- I just looked up that Grande Bass Mutant and it looks like a noise makin', water displacin' monster! Is this a good night bait for you,too?

Jaison
Old 02-22-08, 05:01 PM   #13
Texas_Justice85
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignjig View Post
TJ85- I just looked up that Grande Bass Mutant and it looks like a noise makin', water displacin' monster! Is this a good night bait for you,too?

shhh, just keep this between you and me alright?
Old 02-22-08, 05:05 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

pignjig....i haven't really had much problem with them slipping at all. but when i am throwing a 1/2oz. or heavier weight i will use 2 carolina keepers to keep the heavier weight from causing them to slip.
Old 02-22-08, 08:32 PM   #15
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Zooker you and I finally went in different directions. You just told these folks something that is simply not so. I use 3/4 oz to 1 oz cylindrical Brass Weights (Top Brass Pro-Jo) on 30-50# power pro Braid with 4-5' long 14# mono leaders and catch the living devil out of fish everywhere I go. I feel the bottom very well and the fish do NOT feel the weight. I don't depend on the bait to feel the cover on the bottom, I use the weight to feel the bottom cover to determine what the content is. I feel the bite very easily with the braid when a fish mouths the bait. I also use glass with a rass disc type clacker for a sound additive. I use the exact same set up deep, shallow, clear or dirty water with the same success.
No offense Zooker, but I have been doing that same thing since they came out with braid, and brass.
sorry bobber but it seems we must dis-agree on something..i rarely use a brass clacker as i feel it is a waste of riggin time. i use mono leader and braid.on a 7 ' heavy action rod. with a heavier weight 3/4oz+ i don't feel the bait-lizard,what ever- touching bottom. all i feel is the sinker plowin a furrow.i use either lead or tungstun egg sinkers-my opinion of brass sinkers is real low-

alot of the fish i catch i feel them pick up the bait not a pull on the line.. when fishing mostly rock bottoms i am actually feelin for the large rock vein or boulder. i fish these rock veins and boulders near creek channels in 6-25 feet of water...if i got a light tap with no hook up. i drop the stick grab the pnj and catch the light hitters..

i am no way,shape,or form a fan of the carolina rig. in fact i hate slowing down to use it.. but it catches bass..

i guess bobber we will just have to agree to disagree..

zooker
Old 02-22-08, 09:56 PM   #16
Bob Smith

That's what makes this sport so danged much fun! There are no hard and solid rules to bass-fishing! This thread is a perfect example of that fact. Look at all the different C-rig techniques and they all must work or folks wouldn't be using them!
Old 02-23-08, 06:40 PM   #17
pignjig

Amen and amen, Bob!!!
Old 02-24-08, 05:35 PM   #18
bassnman30

Default C-rigs

I use a mh rod with 17lb flouro. My leader is 14 lb flouro. The flouro is for sensitivity as well as less stretch than mono. I use about a 2' leader with a 3/4 oz. Tru-Tungsten weight. I use a metal bead, plastic can chip due to the hardness of the weight and I do use a clacker, but only one, two or more could cause more hang ups. I use black or off colored weights due to the fact that other than bass can pick up your weight due to the shiny- ness of brass. As far as baits go I like a 4" ring worm with a 2/0 Owner wide gap hook. In rocks I pump my C-rig due to less hang ups. In a smooth bottum I drag my bait.
Old 02-24-08, 05:54 PM   #19
JB

I use almost the same setup, except with mono..I've always used a couple beads n brass for some noise, leader varies 18-30, but 2 foot on average.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 06:13 PM   #20
pignjig

Thanks, Bassnman and all the other rascals who pitched in. For what it's worth, I usually use a 6'6" MH fast taper with a spinning reel (I know, I know...baitcasters are better for this technique), 20# PowerPro green braid, 3/8 (ave.) black bullet weight, clear plastic bead (except a buddy just gave me about 50 red glass beads that I'll need to use when we're fishin' together), crane or ball bearing swivel, 10#-14# fluoro leader depending on the bottom, depth, etc., and a 2/0 or 3/0 offset. The plastic that has worked most for me has been: GP Centipedes, brown craws, Zoom Salt & Pepper lizards, V&M Chart. Shad lizards, GP/red Brush Hogs, GP & black Trick Worms/Finesse Worms, Flukes and Ol'Monsters. Most times I'll retrieve it horizontally just from habit. The C-Rig bite has been great this whole winter for some reason and I hope it continues. I'm waiting for the opportunity to try some other stuff like using a jig for the weight and a floating crank for the bait.

Thanks again to all!!! P2

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.