Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-08, 06:07 PM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Harmonica

Hey guys... Just wondering if anyone here knew much about the harmonica. I've always wanted to be good at some instrument, and the harmonica suits my needs. Small, easily fits in a pocket, relatively simple and probably easy to learn. I have an old Hohner, getting a Marine Band or Special 20... its mainly just to screw around on the half hour bus ride, hour long lunch, or when I work at the lab on weekends... hour and a half on the train, then another on the bus. Any tips or comments?
Old 03-06-08, 06:35 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

cranky,
coming from a musical family, I'd recommend looking on line on how to read music, and also go to sites that have songs that feature harmonica parts.
You will probably find a lot of blues and also western songs. Being able to match what note is located on the mouth fiddle and being able to read a song means you'll be on your way.
Most amateur musicians will tell you that they cant read music, but can follow by ear. I'd at least find a way to locate what area plays what note on the scale, and look up some sheet music, from there its trial and error till you can hear the song and match it.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 07:03 PM   #3
crankybait

JB- Reading music really shouldn't be a problem for me, as I played piano for 2 years or so, around when i first joined this site... I remember because I'd spend more time talking to my piano teacher about fishing than playing XD. Most of the harmonica music i find is tabulated, because the harmonica uses numbers so i will have to dig up a bit of research on notes. However, you know I'm a hiphop type. I do know a bit of rock and other stuff, but beside pianoman, I know no songs with harmonica in them. Do you know any others?
Old 03-06-08, 07:12 PM   #4
Cranebird
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Puddin', Usually you gotta go to jail to learn to play the harmonica. I know just enough to get mysef in trouble with thinking I know. Make sure you have, or get a chromatic scale harmonica in the key of C.If your going to be serious about it buy a Lee Oskar or Hering brand they are a better brand in my opinion. Hohner , suzuki, Lee oskar, Hering, Seydel, Bushman & Huang .....
I personally like the Hering because they have round holes instead of square, I found them easier for me to play.

You can find all sorts of free lessons on the internet if you haven't already.

For what its worth Canned Heat has some of the best harmonica contribution to their songs, I like Bruce springsteen as well.Many might argue with Blues travellers being the best but there are many musicians who have played the harmonica. The only one I really dislike his harmonica playing but love his music is Bob Dylan. C-bird BBQ Sauce
Old 03-06-08, 09:21 PM   #5
bamabassman

cdranky, you know your good at the thing when you can make the train come. i can't carry a tune in a bucket, lol. but i love hearing the train.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 09:27 PM   #6
crankybait

Crane, everybody but you has suggested a diatonic harmonica in C. Why do you prefer a chromatic? you seem to know what you are talking about. As to brand, I will take your list and see if the Lee Oskar or Hering are within my price range. I've heard of both, they seem to be good brands. I been checking out lessons on youtube... Can play Lowrider, Kum By Ya, and Rudolph the Rednose Reigndeer haha. I'll get there eventually. I just downloaded a bunch of Blues Travellers, I really like Run Around. I'll check out Canned Heat.
bama- I'm working on that train chug ;-)
Old 03-06-08, 09:54 PM   #7
Cranebird

Puddin' The reason I thought Chromatic would be your best bet is because you mentioned playing the piano. Chromatic scale is lot like the piano for it uses half steps like the piano does, or at least that is what I suspect the black and white keys are for ? Diatonic scale is in a major scale with a few types of minor scale.Basically a diatonic scale is more like a guitar music it uses a key note and tonic root notes.I just thought the Chromatic scale would be a whole lot easier for you to learn.Am I making any sense at all ?

If you already have a diatonic scale , it is fine.I am self taught so I might not know what the heck I am talking about , I am trying to get you started in the right direction the easiest route is all. If you want specific songs as mentioned
Train, Train- Blackfoot
on the road again- Canned Heat
up the country- Canned heat
Stand- Blues travellers

actually just about everything Canned heat and Blues travellers did had harmonica parts in it.
Old 03-06-08, 10:08 PM   #8
crankybait

Hm, that does make sense. But then again, I never got good enough at piano to have it affect the ways i view any other instrument. The black keys were for sharps, if memory serves me correctly. Not to mention chromatic harmonicas are incredibly expensive. I'll stick to my diatonic, as my friend plays it too. Thanks for explaining the difference though... that had confused me a bit.
And I just downloaded Train, Train, Stand, and some ridiculous number of Canned Heat Songs. Thanks for the tip. I'll be rockin this in no time
Old 03-06-08, 10:25 PM   #9
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I think the harmonica is cool! Doesn't Neil Young and Tom Petty have some songs with the harmonica? Seems to me I've seen them play it.
Old 03-06-08, 11:27 PM   #10
Cranebird

Doc, the black keys would be a sharp or a flat or a half step used in conjunction with the major chord.A diatonic scale for all intense purposes is easier for the majority of songs an be played by starting out in the keynote and played in a progression of tonic root notes usually using a few minor notes plus you can bend and slur notes .Huangs can be bought pretty cheap, I think a Huang star is like $6.00 and they aren't real bad Suzukis are pricey and from what I seen I wasn't real impressed.Herings and Lee Oskar are very nice but they might be more than you want to spend.I told you I know just enough to get myself in trouble. Bass addict you are correct. Both Young and Petty had harmonica riffs in thier music Pettys pack up the plantation album has some real good riffs on it. C-bird Sleeping

Last edited by Cranebird; 03-07-08 at 07:06 AM.
Cranebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 12:55 AM   #11
Rebbasser

Played one since I was a kid. You get more range with a chromatic. Have one of those as well as a couple Marine Bands. I just play by ear.
Old 03-07-08, 03:18 AM   #12
ROBZILLA

i PLAY cRANK i HAVE FOR 10 YEARS pm ME AND i'LL HELP YOU OUT.
Old 03-07-08, 05:43 PM   #13
crankybait

Alright, I think im going to go ahead and get me 2 or 3 harmonicas. The Huang, A marine Band, and a Lee Oskar if i can. This morning I managed to get down the star spangled banner by ear. Relatively simple.
Old 03-07-08, 07:08 PM   #14
Cranebird

Puddin' Whatever you learn they can't take away from you. C-Bird Spit
Old 03-07-08, 08:04 PM   #15
bamabassman

wanna hear da TRAINNNNN TRAIN. (the rock version)
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 10:38 AM   #16
crankybait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranebird View Post
Puddin' Whatever you learn they can't take away from you. C-Bird Spit
Haha, Thats what my dad tells me when he wants me to study more.
Old 03-08-08, 12:35 PM   #17
JB

Default unamercian idol?

i can see it now............keep practicing

Old 03-10-08, 06:51 PM   #18
crankybait

It was only a matter of time before a photoshop came up haha. Nice one, as usual JB. I'm getting you back someday...

Anyway, I hit the music shop yesterday. The Lee Oskars were a tad too highly priced for me, so I got me a Marine Band Special 20. Been messing around with songs, Trying to learn on the road again and Train Train. Might try Run Around when I get much, much better. I have pianoman down flat now. Thanks for the help, guys
Old 03-10-08, 08:03 PM   #19
JB

good luck to ya pranoy and i hope ya stick with it, easy to carry an play
whenever and where ever huh
Old 03-11-08, 11:42 AM   #20
flbassman

......Cranky =puddin now......oh man thats too much......I been gone too long....Good luck with that harmonica cranky. If you ever lose everything in a medical malpractice suit, it'll give ya something do....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.