Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-08, 07:12 PM   #1
pcfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Default St. John's River, Palatka Florida

My son and I fished with a guide on the river today. We fished shiners seeking large fish. The action was affected by the wind greatly. If you could get out of it and into some eel grass, fish were somewhat cooperative. We boated 9 bass. Nothing big. One 5.6 and one 5.1. The wind and all these fronts are tough on fishing here in Florida during March in my experience. Our guide had two fish caught over 10 last weekend also in the river on shiners. He hasn't fished Rodman since it started to refill because of floating logs etc.
pcfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 04:09 PM   #2
k-money
BassFishin.Com Member

What do you consider a big bass? Anything over 4lbs is a monster to me! If I ever caught a bass over 5lbs i would be estatic.
k-money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 10:36 AM   #3
pcfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Don't get me wrong, their great fish but we were going after 10 pound fish!
Old 03-27-08, 08:23 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

pc, do you live in Florida around Palatka? Just wondering, I have fished that area, and the St Johns for a couple of years now. There are definately double digit bass in the river, I just haven't caught any of them from the river yet. I have caught tons 5-7lbs, with a couple on the 8 lb range. Shiners do work for big bass, but so do other baits. Did you spend all the time right in Palatka or did you move around some?

Lizards
Old 03-28-08, 10:48 AM   #5
pcfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards, I'm from Illinois and staying in New Smyrna Beach for the month of March. We were guided by C.C. Corey out of Palatka. We launched at a public ramp in Welaka and fished south from there a mile or so along the west bank. Also fished the canal. Unfortunately, we head back north tomorrow. The lakes probably aren't all open yet the way this winter has been hanging on back home. I'll hopefully try again next year. Good Luck.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.