Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-08, 05:48 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Buzzbaits, Part II

Well, I am really excited about this buzzbait thing, so I am beginning to look at rods and reels. I won't be getting the rod until middle June/July, so I have plenty of time to save, but for now I figured it would be good to get a few ideas. Here is what I have in mind so far, (these choices are in order of most-wanted to less-wanted, BTW):

~Rods~
  1. St.Croix Premier Glass Crankbait Rod, (PGC66MMF). This is a 6'6'' rod, medium powered, with a moderate-fast action. I know, it is 'glass, but the 'glass frame with a moderate-fast action will help with the problem of tearing out hooks from the fish's violent strikes!
  2. St. Croix Premier Casting Rod, (PC66MHF). This also is a 6'6'' rod, medium-heavy powered, with a fast action tip. Is a fast-action tip too fast-reacting for buzzbaitin'?
~Reels~
  1. Abu Garcia REVO STX Casting Reel, Left-Handed, (STX-L). This reel, I think, is the perfect speed for buzzin'. Not too fast, but you can really crank 'er if ya have to. It's also set at a resonable price, and available in a left-hand model...
  2. Abu Garcia REVO SX Casting Reel, Left-Handed, (SX-L). Once again, this is not too high speed, but you can really crank it when needed. It's a little lighter, and cheaper then the STX, but I figure the more dough ya throw into them, the better reel you're going to get, but don't quote me on this....
-Lunk-
Old 03-23-08, 09:51 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have a revo sx and friggin love it!
Old 03-23-08, 10:02 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've heard the Revo's are great reels. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either reel. As for rods, I'd stay away from the glass rods (too heavy) All Star makes a good spinnerbait rods which should work great for buzzbaits. I'd check out Falcon too.

BB
Old 03-24-08, 11:08 AM   #4
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Lol, It's funny how this whole time I've been raving about the Revos like crazy, but just recently I've decided to stick with Quantum PTs.

As for the rod, I'D pick a 7' MH with a fast tip just to be able to easily roll-cast them under trees and dock overhangs. A 7' rod will help you bring the bait up to the surface immediately. This all depends on if you're comfortable with a 7', of course. I wouldn't go with glass for a buzzbait rod.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 12:17 PM   #5
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

I am in total agreement Joolz, but I cannot find a 7' 'glass rod!!!

Wait......... THERE IT IS!!!

St.Croix Premier Glass Crankbait Rod, (PGC70MMF). As stated before, she's 'glass, 7', medium-powered, and has a moderate-fast action. This thing is perfect!

-Lunk-

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.