Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-08, 11:52 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Hunting Run

This new 420 acre reservoir opened last fall but only for a short time with limited use. Now it's open for the spring time and the county is allowing bass boats on it but trolling motor only. Gas motors can not be used.
Got on it for the first time and was impressed with the structre and cover found on the lake. I've heard about people catching a lot of fish and big fish so I wanted to check it out for myself.
Due to the winds I was limited to fishing just two coves and one feeder creek. I only caught three small bass as the larger fish had not moved up into the shallows yet. I didn't see any bluegill or baitfish shallow either. The water was clear but dark with 4-6' of visibility. I didn't see any schools of bait fish on my sonar which was surprising. Any fish seen were in 16-19' of water, also surprising as I was catching bass in less than 3' on Lake Anna just a couple days ago.
Here are a few pics. Can't wait until the bass move shallow. Should be a fun place to fish.
Sonar pic (other than my reflection) shows a creek channel that comes up to the big stump flat. Fished it for a long time thinking they'd be stacked up on the edge or in the channel but only one bite and no fish . The sticks in the last picture were in the channel and standing in 11'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H. Run brushpile 1st N. Creek.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	2062   Click image for larger version

Name:	huntingrun stumps 1st N. Cove.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	2063   Click image for larger version

Name:	stump HR.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	2064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Creek Hunt. Run.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	2065   Click image for larger version

Name:	HRun Stumps 1st N. cove.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	2066  

Old 03-29-08, 01:23 AM   #2
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nice pics, 3D. You'd make a good outdoor photographer. That's a beautiful stump in that third photo...I'll bet you'll be back to that thing with a Huffer, maybe?
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 09:31 AM   #3
3dkicker

That stump was one of many that I saw along that creek channel and on the flats. Once the fish pull up it'll get a Huffer or two tossed to it. I was using one of Dave's spring craw jigs with Zoom Super chunk jr on it yesterday but I had a another of Dave's jigs with one of my trailers and a Huffer trailer in the boat ready to go if needed. Everything looked so good I didn't want to take time to change baits.

If you think my cell phone pics are nice you should see my 35mm outdoor photos!!! Field and Stream here I come .
Old 03-29-08, 06:19 PM   #4
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Thanks for the pics, 3D! I always love to see different sonar pics. Really helps me out in the learning department!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 06:54 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

beautiful pics. in a couple of weeks them stumps will have some fish around them. makes me want to get out the ol manns grape worm and just fish them stumps, lol. and the grass is just waiting for some frogs and buzzbaits too. maybe a pig and jig in the laydown of trees? man 3 more weeks here, AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!! HAHAHA.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 09:28 PM   #6
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Just to add to my knowledge of depth finding units....

How did you locate the channel on your depth finder? Did you use it with a map and keep searching until found? Did you know there was a creek channel there originally?

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-08, 01:04 PM   #7
3dkicker

Just a few clues that led me to believe that there should have been some sort of channel or cut in that cove. The major one was the small dam at the back of the cove. As I went across the cove there was one drop off and then about two boat lengths over a second one. I criss crossed my way back and forth and the width narrowed but I could predict where the drops were.
Old 04-04-08, 10:13 PM   #8
JRL
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Call me jealous. That place looks awesome.
Old 04-07-08, 06:52 PM   #9
3dkicker

I'm going to have to get back on it some time soon. I was told the other night that I missed out on the better fish by a week or so. It sucks when you miss them. They should be coming up shallow again real soon.

Heading down to Buggs Island this weekend. Water level is at 303.5 which puts the bass in the buck brush if the water temps creep up this week. Can't wait because at 303 to 305' I'm in flippin'/pitchin' heaven. Hopefully the fish come up with the water.
Old 04-07-08, 07:54 PM   #10
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

smitty better haul your spinner baits and buzzbaits..-never fish buggs with out them-

kinda funny to hear a yankee call it buggs island most call it john kerr or just "kerr"..us heels always call it buggs as we have a scott kerr lake here in nc..

zooker
Old 04-07-08, 09:41 PM   #11
3dkicker

Buggs, Kerr, or "Karr" which ever one you prefer is fine with me. I've used them all.

All I catch with spinnerbaits are the horny shad that we find up shallow spawning. Still a little early for buzzbaits I think but I'll give them a try and see how they work.

I was thinking more about jerkbaits in the buck brush. That brings them up.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.