Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-08, 11:21 AM   #1
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Blue Cats

I am getting ready to head down on the James River for the BIG cats, I usually launch from Jordan Point and fish above the Benjiman Harrison Bridge. There are some nice sunken barges I fish on, or run out of Deep Bottom. We usually do well, around 5 a day ranging from 15-45 pounds looking for some tricks that ya'll may know and want to share. I fish with Shad that I get in my gill net and last year I started getting eels at Greentop.

Thanks for any tips

Jerry
jmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 11:57 AM   #2
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

J,

There is a hole at the cut channel at Presque Island. There is a bouy that marks the channel on the right side heading up river. There is a very steep drop shaped like a bowl right there. This spot is good on incoming tide. At the other end of the same cut channel is a bouy light that's on a point. Anchor off that point so you can fish both channels on outgoing tide. There may be some fish on the flats too so I'd keep one bait shallow. That's a couple spots we've done well at before. A little further up is a pump house on the left. We caught some good fish there as well. On outgoing tide anchor beside a chain link fence that's on the bank. Good luck man... wish I was going too. I haven't been in a while. I have a bass tourney on the James Saturday.

BTW... we fish with shad too but if you can catch an Ailwive or 2 then use them as cutbait. We usually catch our bait right at the Deep Bottom landing in the mouth of 4 Mile Creek.
Old 08-28-08, 12:33 PM   #3
jmartin

Eric

Do you have a bouy number for Presque Island I have never heard of it and not sure were it is at? Also is it above or below the Benjiman Harrison or is it over at Deep Bottom.
BTW good luck Saturday I am Planning on heading down Monday

Jerry
Old 08-29-08, 01:03 PM   #4
BassAddict

Jerry,

If you are heading up river from the B. Harris. bridge... you will pass the Appamattox River. When the river necks down to a narrow channel... that's Presque on the right. Just before you get to that channel there's a red metal bouy on the right (marks the main channel). To the right of that bouy is a large flat. It's a real steep drop from 5' to 60'+. The best thing to do is tie up to that bouy but don't get caught. That would put you in perfect position to fish the drop off.
At the other end of that channel is a big metal pole that marks the channel. It's on a shallow point. That spot is good on outgoing tide. You can fish both channels from there plus the flat. The other is better on incoming tide. If you have a map of the river you should be able to see what I'm talking about.
Another good spot is the next cut channel before you get to the I-295 bridge. There's a series of humps in there. I had a giant break me off in there once. Felt like a freight train. That area can be good from one end to the other. We fish the right hand side going upriver.

I don't get to go too much in the summer. I mainly fish in the winter after deer season. I've heard in the mornings and late evenings now that the fish should be shallow on the flats. We usually have 8 or so rods out at a time fishing from shallow to deep. Try and figure out what they're doing and you can probably run the river with the same pattern. I'm going to hire a guide one day to learn some new stuff!

Good luck man and let me know how you do. I'm ready to go again myself soon. I'm itching to catch a big KITTY!!!

Last edited by BassAddict; 08-29-08 at 01:08 PM.
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 01:05 PM   #5
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BA - I thought you'd have that 12 point on your mind vs fishing for blue cats......
Old 08-29-08, 02:09 PM   #6
Lilmoosecountry

Let the missouri river boy speak on this. If you have an Asain Carp problem. Use them as bait. Cut the carp like a salmon steak. Use the raw carp steak with an 8 ot hook. Are Blues's on the river almost seam like they eat more carp than shad. And because of such were catching bigger fish because of it. I really think blues just have a natural hatered for them. The attack on the steak is so violent it's like nothing i have ever exp. using shad.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 07:57 AM   #7
jmartin

Well I got a bad sunburn and never caught but 5 cats, but hey a bad fay fishing is still better than a good day at work. I started out at deep bottom trying for shad my D#$% net didnt work "I coudnt throw it" so after catching several small shad got pissed went to Greentop bought bait and ended up fishing the island for several hours then moved down to the BH Bridge caught a few more there My Brother had his boat down also he boated 20. maybe next time.

Jerry
Old 09-02-08, 08:57 AM   #8
Fishnngolfn

You got any pictures?
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 09:51 AM   #9
BassAddict

Sorry to hear you had a bad day Jerry. I saw a guy around Deep Bottom Fri. afternoon and he had one about 30 lbs. I'd say. Not sure where he caught it. The fishing on the James sucks right now as far as I'm concerned. We did catch a few small Stripers. Oh btw... my dad's partner caught about a 25 lb. Flathead on a plastic Craw flipping trees around Presque Island Sat. Guess that's what you need to do to catch a big cat!! Hope your luck is better next time!

3D... I'm turning to full deer hunting mode soon. I'm getting the fever bad with the fishing being so lousy around here right now!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.