Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-09, 07:58 PM   #1
mlsjs2
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Jig Rod & Reel Suggestions!

Hi Guys,

new member here..great site..

i have a general question for you guys..i am looking for a rod/reel casting set up for jig fishing...thing is i have a 7"0 BPS Rod which is Medium power fast tip but it feels a bit too finesse when working a fball jig.it is matched with an Quantum Accurist 6:2:1....i like this rod a lot for my cranks and plastics but with my Jig it is feeling a bit too light.

so in conclusion..looking to get a 7"0 to 7"2 inch jig rod and a reel.want a rod that doesn't seem like it is too heavy for a jig..more so looking for suggestions on rods...dont want to spend much more than $150-$175 or so.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mlsjs2; 03-25-09 at 08:14 PM.
mlsjs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 08:13 PM   #2
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

mlsjs2, welcome.
For rods I like the BPS Extreme or bionic blade 6'6" in a med/hvy action for jigs, but a 7' BPS rod will work great. Just make sure whatever rod you get is at least a med/hvy action. BTW there's some really good jig guys here that can give you more details on whet to look for and what to avoid in buying a good jig rod.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 08:18 PM   #3
mlsjs2
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thanks Abu

thanks for your response..

i think the reason the jig feels like its overpowering the rod is because it is medium and not medium heavy..

was thinking of a 7"0-7"2 Powell matched with a Revo or Quantum 7:1...
Old 03-25-09, 08:35 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

first and formost...welcome to the best site on the web pal. you are officially fodder for the bait monkey now. feed the monkey regularly and you'll be fine.

now for the rod and reel question. go and handle each and every rod, i like the bps extreme rod, cost around a hundred bucks. or try a fenwick rod, this is the rods i REALLY want to go to in the future. just my opion.
Old 03-25-09, 08:57 PM   #5
mlsjs2
BassFishin.Com Member

Default thanks bama

thanks bama appreciate that..

i have an extreme on my spinning set up and i do like that..and hard to beat the price too.

so im hearing 7"0 medium heavy...how about the rod tip stuff as in fast or extra fast? for jig fishing that is.
Old 03-25-09, 09:01 PM   #6
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

um i would go with a 7 or 7 2 m/h ...... if you really want a great rod and want to save up get a g-loomis.... they are exspenive but they are great..... i dont think the reel will really make a difference.... probably get somethin around a 6.4:1

not sure about the rod tip tho.....
Old 03-25-09, 09:40 PM   #7
bamabassman

fast tip and extra fast i really doesn't apply to a jig set up. if i am wrong folks, please correct me. my lighting rod doesn't have a fst tip at all. it is just a heavy action rod. i lkike it ok. gonna see what everyone else says. this is VERY interesting. might mean more hooksets ya know.
Old 03-25-09, 09:43 PM   #8
slimbo
BassFishin.Com Member

for large jigs i use a 7' falcon boron m hvy xfast tip and ABU 4600 c-4 for smaller jigs and grubs i like spin tackle 7' allstar pro m action xfast and flueger reel
slimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 11:03 PM   #9
Jim80

Depending on what type of cover you are fishing your jigs in I would look 7'0 MH to a Heavy action rod the extra stoutness in the rod will definitely not hurt , the higher gear ratio is nice but the jump from 6:2 to 7:1 again is really gonna make more of a difference depending on the type of cover you are fishing in real heavy nasty stuff yeah the 7:1 is great to yank them out and ski them across the surface, more open water to moderate cover the higher ratio wouldn't hurt you but it also would not hols ya back .

Jim
Old 03-26-09, 02:15 AM   #10
carolina-rig-01

in the past i have been throwing most of my jigs on a falcon original fc5-17 which is a 7' mh rod. it did a good job with finesse jigs but was lacking a little guts when it came to heavier jigs. so i just bought a new jig rod and i love it. i bought the falcon cara head turner. it is 6'10" h with a mf tip. being split grip it is very sensative and this rod can cast a mile. i have it paired with a revo sx and it is by far the best jig setup i have ever used.
Old 03-26-09, 10:47 AM   #11
mlsjs2
BassFishin.Com Member

great feedback thank to all..

so i think im going to take a look at some 7"0 M/H or H match it with a 6:4:1 reel...

Crig i am gonna be ordering some Thunderstruck Jigs soon too wanna try those out...

Last edited by mlsjs2; 03-26-09 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-26-09, 05:53 PM   #12
3dkicker

$150 to $175 for just the rod? Then you've got a lot to choose from. Shimano, St. Croix, and other brands have some excellent jig rods in that price range. What's the heaviest weight jig are you planning on using?

Any time I buy a new rod I always take a reel and a bait with me and test the rod in the store or at the show. I even make them remove the tags and security devices so that I can check the rod out.
Old 03-26-09, 07:46 PM   #13
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Welcome to the boards mlsjs2. Won't take you long to realize there's a lot of great and knowledgeable people here.
Old 03-27-09, 08:32 PM   #14
mlsjs2
BassFishin.Com Member

3dkicker,

the heaviest i think i will throw is a 1/2 oz...
Old 03-27-09, 08:50 PM   #15
zooker

i sling alot of lite jigs on a 7'6'' extra heavy flippen stick. i use a 7'mh for soft plastics..

zooker
Old 03-28-09, 08:14 AM   #16
bassboogieman

I like a Heavy rod for jigs for several reasons like driving a "heavy" hook home, getting fish out of nasty places in a hurry. A MH will work, but I don't think it is the best choice if you are buying a rod specifically for jig fishing. Reel? I don't think there is a better one designed for pitching baits than the Shimano Castaic. A suggestion, you can certainly go to BPS and buy one of their rods for retail or catch a sale OR you can check the used market. You can find some really fine rods for what you may pay for the Extreme. St. Croix Avids, maybe a Kistler, Loomis, Powell, Falcon, etc. Most of those on the USED market are half of retail, a good buy if you can get one in very good condition only a year or two old. I've seen a lot of Kistler LTA's (I use them) for $125 - $150 common, Magnesium's for $100 - $125. The St. Croix Avids come up for the same price as the Magnesiums, and I believe they are far superior to the BPS branded rods. The Castaic I mentioned are available for between $120 - $130 NIB. You just have to hunt a little bit and find superior equipment at bargin prices.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.