Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-09, 08:06 PM   #1
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default not measurin up?!?!?!?

well heres the story,

we had a tourney on the cooper river saturday. weather was nasty, and it was just a hard day all together....threw the kitchen sink and struck out till 2pm. skipped a zoom junebug lizard under a pier(our last stop before weigh in) and caught a small one. i had to work to make this a 12" fish....but i got it to touch the line. so i threw it in the livewell and headed to the hill. this was our only keeper of the day.
when we got to the hill we got the boat out the water, i helped him clean up his boat, threw my fish in my weigh in bag and went to the weigh in...dumped my fish out when it was my turn in, they measured it and i couldnt believe my eyes...it BARELY made 11" this time is it possible for a fish to shrink while it was in the livewell?
so needless to say, i was pretty embarassed...plus i didnt get to weigh it in....what happened?
Old 03-30-09, 08:11 PM   #2
weidner21
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to weidner21 Send a message via Yahoo to weidner21

yea a fish can stress and shrink alittle but i cant see a fish shrinking a inch
weidner21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 08:13 PM   #3
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

this is my best guess..... when you had a tough day you go to measure the small fish and you want it to measure so bad you actually move the mouth off the end while tryin to make the tail hit 12 inches.... sometime i will be tryin to make a fish hit 12 and i look at the fishes head and its an inch from the end of the measuring stick
Old 03-30-09, 08:16 PM   #4
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
this is my best guess..... when you had a tough day you go to measure the small fish and you want it to measure so bad you actually move the mouth off the end while tryin to make the tail hit 12 inches.... sometime i will be tryin to make a fish hit 12 and i look at the fishes head and its an inch from the end of the measuring stick
honestly that is what i thought i had done also, but i mesaured it twice, plus had my partner see if he thought it was 12"...the only thing i can think of is, his was the golden rule from wal mart, and at weigh in, we use a "certified"(diffrent brand) golden rule...but somethin was diffrent...i dunno...maybe i didnt measure right like i thought i did.
Old 03-30-09, 08:17 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

actually they tens up making them smaller while fighting the hook. putting them in the live well makes them relax.. i have gained as much as a 1/4" from the time i measured the fish on the boat and a courtisy check at weigh in..

get a ruler and measure your device...bet it is bent..

zooker
Old 03-30-09, 08:57 PM   #6
MIbasser

You might want to double check your board as well. I had one that made it on mine and didn't make it on the official. If your board has a slight bend in it that could add a little....
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 10:23 PM   #7
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I dunno what coulda happened? My best guess is what Aiken said. If not that it could be the board?

Better luck next time!
Old 04-02-09, 07:27 AM   #8
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Check your rule vs. the clubs "official" one and see if they are the same way. I had that happen once too, but it was the other way around. Caught one where the size limit was 16 inches, The tail just hit the line, so I brought it in for a courtesy measure, and the thing hit 16 3/4 on the weigh in board. What made me so mad was there was a slot limit on the lake where you could have 2 fish between 14-16 and 3 had to be over 16, I culled one of my smaller 14-16ers for this one and I could have kept one more and put myself in the money! I was only off 5th place by 7 oz and 4th by 1.3 lbs.
Old 04-03-09, 03:20 PM   #9
3dkicker

I've done the same once before. Measured it at 12", flipped it over, measured again and then one more time to be sure. Turns out I was reading the twelve and measuring the line at 11". It is embarrassing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.