Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-09, 02:46 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Need Your Help, Guys - Need to Create and Teach a Fishing Class

Hi guys!

I am excited about a project that I am about to undertake with some seniors in my area. I have agreed to take them on a fishing trip.

I took a few fishing last year and there were a couple of folks that went fishing for the first time and the look on their faces was priceless and joy-filled. However, tying every knot, baiting every hook, and undoing every tangled spool becomes very difficult for one person (me) to do for 10-12 persons.

Based on that first experience, I believe it would be a good idea to teach them the basics. As a result, I want to develop a class course (one-time session is what I envision) to teach them the basics.

I want to teach them the basics such as:

1) Tying Knots
2) Placing bait on a hook
3) How to cast

And anything else you think would benefit them.

I know that we all love to take our kids fishing but I have realized that we have seniors in our own communities that are just waiting to discover the joys of fishing for the first time or to rekindle their passion for fishing that they had earlier in their lives. It is people like you and me who can get them there.

So please, share your tips and tricks here, from how you teach casting to tips on knot tying and baiting a hook, whatever you can think of would be appreciated.

BTW, I will be taking them trout fishing at a trout farm. This eliminates the need to have them pay for licenses, and I have the convenience of having the basic amenities for them. Also, these farms have the rods and reels that I cannot provide on my own.

Thanks ahead of time. My overall goal is the get them "hooked" and hopefully have them start a club or group that goes fishing on a regular basis.

-ib
Old 04-05-09, 07:10 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd throw in respect nature and pick any littering up you see, and dont hook the guy next to ya! Find out who can swim and who can't either rofl
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 09:08 AM   #3
Stinkies Daddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Seriouly, get with your local red cross and take a cpr class. I carry a card and have not had to use it yet, Knock, knock, knock. but it could save a life.

I do seminar at the church and i start with the basics, meaning diff equip for the fish being sought after. I usually suggest pannies as a good first timer choice. It will take the seniors back to a much simplier time in their lives. You will be supprised at the responce you get when they remember what they thought they forgot! as for equipment i suggest, yep, you guessed it! a 10 or 12 foot cane, with equal length of 6 or 8lb line on it, foam strike indicators, shot and #6 or 8 cricket hooks, and crickets or red wigglers. My guess is that many of your seniors are already familer with this rig. Single out the ones that are and pair them with the lesser experienced anglers. You might also invest in some Berkley maggots and red worms, BPS has plastic crickets by the 100 for 8 bucks a pop. Jigs are also very cheap and dont have to be rebaited and can be tipped with a waxie or the like.
Next i move on th structure, teaching them what to look for will free up some of your time to help others that need the help. Teach them to look for brush, points, over hanging trees, changes in the shore line conditions, docks ( look for rod holders, bait buckets, lights, big toons, swim platforms and ladders, cleaning stations any of these things indicate fish live there, the more in combination you have the the better). AT this point the only problem you should have is getting them rounded back up at the time to leave!
Armed with this info you should be able to get on the fish and stay busy your whole trip

just before you start fishing go over what i just told you w/ them and you should have a good time. Next time you go touch on the basics and then move on to getting to the bigger gills and crackers, and ill help you with that also.

You can get a lot of good info at www.bluegilltalk.com i am a mod on this site known as stinkies daddy
Old 04-05-09, 09:17 AM   #4
1FASTLASER

Looks to me that everyone has pretty well got i covered. One thing I might add is remeber that these are senior adults and sometimes they have special needs. So whatever needs they will have make sure that someone is capable of tending to these.
Old 04-05-09, 09:21 AM   #5
Stinkies Daddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

oh and i almost forgot. GIVE EVERYONE A WHISTLE, A LOUD ONE JUST IN CASE OF EMERGENCIES. YOU CAN ZERO IN ON THE AREA THAT NEEDS ATTENTION. This dont mean that they wont have a lil fun with you and blow it just to see u running like a crazy fool!
Old 04-06-09, 02:23 AM   #6
islandbass

Thanks for the excellent advice!!!!! I knew I could count on you guys!

The CPR advice is something that I will definitely take. My work is planning to have the red cross come in to do a training. The whistle idea is also a good one. Many of them have a great sense of humor. I think some will blow it to have me run around.

Special needs is going to need to be factored in as well.

As this project progresses, I will keep you all posted. Thanks again. I know that the seniors are greatly appreciative.

-ib

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.