Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-09, 11:37 PM   #1
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 69
Default Propulsion Line Management System a Marketing Gimmick?

Does anyone know if the Shimano Propulsion Line Management System works or is it just a Marketing Gimmick?

From what I can tell:
Paladin is just a aluminum drive gear.
Aero Wrap II is just a worm gear.
S-Arm Cam looks like a bail arm to me.
The SR One-Piece Bail Wire - this one does look good to me.
The New spool (on left) compared to old design - Will the new design cause more Spider Webs due to more line coming off?
EastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 11:41 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
Rebbasser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 10,140
Default

The spool LOOKS like a good idea-we'll see.
__________________
It's happened to the best of them: John 21:3
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 11:42 PM   #3
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member
 
BassinID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Too far from largemouth, Idaho
Posts: 672
Default

The Propulsion line management system is a combination of the spool lip, the no contact bail arm, and the design of the line roller. In my opinion none of the above features are crap, just marketed a little too well. IMO the new shimano reels are the best out there, with a possible exception for the new diawa reels, but that only includes the really expensive ones like the fuego or steez.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 12:09 AM   #4
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 69
Default

I bought a Shimano Sonora 2500FA spinning reel last year.

This year the new one's are Orange! Yuck!!!

It's ok, but the line keeps wraping around the bail arm for some odd reason.

Last edited by EastTexas; 05-29-09 at 02:22 PM.
EastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 07:36 AM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
BigBassin144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 9,463
Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default

BassinID, I read on tackle tour that the Daiwa Tierra spinning reel is about the same performance wise as the much more expensive Sol. And speaking of a reel that's hyped up too much, the Steez is overrated in my opinion.

BB
__________________
As of June 14, 2014 the members of the BF.com forum have moved to basschat.yuku.com!
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 07:38 AM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
BigBassin144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 9,463
Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexas View Post
I have Shimano Sonora 2500FA spinning reel go bought last year.

This year the new one's are Orange! Yuck!!!

It's ok, but the line keeps wraping around the bail arm for some odd reason.
But you're talking about a 50 dollar reel here, while you're talking about the Stella, a 600-700 reel.

BB
__________________
As of June 14, 2014 the members of the BF.com forum have moved to basschat.yuku.com!
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 09:23 AM   #7
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
nofearengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southwest IN
Posts: 5,630
Default

The reasoning behind all of these features seems to be sound, but are they worth a lot of extra cost? I guess it depends on personal preference, but for my money, the skill of the angler is about a hundred times more important. I mean cummon...I can't remember ever thinking to myself, "gosh, if I could just get this spinning reel to cast farther." Accuracy is just so much more important, and it has very little to do with the reel.
__________________
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 01:28 PM   #8
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
brushhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Whitesboro, NY
Posts: 1,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
The reasoning behind all of these features seems to be sound, but are they worth a lot of extra cost? I guess it depends on personal preference, but for my money, the skill of the angler is about a hundred times more important. I mean cummon...I can't remember ever thinking to myself, "gosh, if I could just get this spinning reel to cast farther." Accuracy is just so much more important, and it has very little to do with the reel.
What he said... But if I had the money to burn I'd buy them all anyway!!!
__________________
3/4 of the Earth's surface is water and 1/4 is land. Clearly god wants me to fish, not mow the lawn.
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 01:54 PM   #9
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
Jim80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Thomaston CT
Posts: 3,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
What he said... But if I had the money to burn I'd buy them all anyway!!!
You and me both brush .


Jim
__________________
In memory of Zooker 1/11/73-7/2/2010. You will be sorely missed and never forgotten.
Jim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 06:07 PM   #10
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
islandbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WA State
Posts: 1,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
You and me both brush .


Jim
That's called the Bait Monkey Syndrome, something we all suffer from! Count me in.
__________________
ARX "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson (Shimano 2005 Reel Catalog)
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 03:19 PM   #11
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
The Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ft. Bragg, NC
Posts: 270
Default

I have a buddy that has one of those Steez spinning reels, I see absolutely no difference in that and the $60 Quantum Kinetic or my $129 Abu Soron I have. We both are fishing it on the same rod (7'2" M ds/sh rod) and the same line (8lb Sufix flouro) I don't do a lot of drop shotting so the Kinetic is on my DS rod, and I use a shakey head a lot so the Soron is on that rod, they are both on the same rod. It doesn't cast better or more accurately, the drag is about the same, it is a bit lighter, but were talking about a $419 difference in price between that and the Kinetic. I figured I would notice at least a slight difference. I guess when you have the dough to shell out on whatever you want, you inevitebly will buy more expensive stuff, but this was a serious lesson to me in the marketing and advertisement market. I'll take my Soron over the steez any day, and I guess in the long run, something that costs more doesn't always make it better. (kinda like Bandit crankbaits, inexpensive, but some of the best baits out there)
__________________
In the absence of orders, find something and kill it. Unk, 82nd ABN WWII
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 05:47 PM   #12
BcolbyJ
BassFishin.Com Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Elloree, South Carolina
Posts: 2
Default

Bought the 09' Shimano Symmetre 4000FJ in late February. Hands down the best casting spinning reel I have used. Coupled with a 7ft. med action Diawa rod and 30 lb. Power Pro braided, and I can cast a weightless plastic further than I ever imagined I would be able to or really ever need to. Tried 14 lb. mono just to see if the results were the same and they were. We are talking about $100 for the smoothest and best casting midpriced reel I have tried in my opinion (a bit heavy though, even for the 4000). Older Shimano reels I own do not have this feature and do not produce nearly the same results. Although I havent tried a large variety of brands when it comes line management systems, I can tell you, Shimano's works.
BcolbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 12:24 PM   #13
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 69
Default Thanks for taking the time test the reels this is REAL Info we can all use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
I have a buddy that has one of those Steez spinning reels, I see absolutely no difference in that and the $60 Quantum Kinetic or my $129 Abu Soron I have. We both are fishing it on the same rod (7'2" M ds/sh rod) and the same line (8lb Sufix flouro) I don't do a lot of drop shotting so the Kinetic is on my DS rod, and I use a shakey head a lot so the Soron is on that rod, they are both on the same rod. It doesn't cast better or more accurately, the drag is about the same, it is a bit lighter, but were talking about a $419 difference in price between that and the Kinetic. I figured I would notice at least a slight difference. I guess when you have the dough to shell out on whatever you want, you inevitebly will buy more expensive stuff, but this was a serious lesson to me in the marketing and advertisement market. I'll take my Soron over the steez any day, and I guess in the long run, something that costs more doesn't always make it better. (kinda like Bandit crankbaits, inexpensive, but some of the best baits out there)

Thanks for taking the time test the reels this is REAL Info we can all use. I don't have money to burn so I make the most educated choice I can with the given info on hand.
EastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2013 BassFishin.Com LLC