Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-09, 08:37 PM   #1
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson
Default People who should be beaten thread

So I'm driving home from work tonight...............
I go to pass someone in front of me who's only going 5 over the speed limit....yes....I go 10 over....
I did everything right...put on my turn signal, checked my mirrors, yada yada yada...
As I'm alongside the truck I'm passing, 2 vehicles pull up to a stop sign on the road to my left. The idiot leading that parade apparently thought he was all good just looking to the left, since he was turning right.........ever vigilant Mallen is cocked and loaded at the brake pedal, just in case this idiot fails to look to his right......by your silence, I'm guessing you all know what's coming.
He makes his right turn.
I lock them up, he comes to a stop and as I swerve around him, after the truck i was passing goes past him.....HE LAYS ON HIS HORN AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i'M NOT THE IDIOT THAT FORGOT TO LOOK TO THE RIGHT!!!!!!!!
You have no idea how tempted I was to go to the brakes, whip my car around, follow this idiot to his destination and pull him out of his car.
It was bad enough that he almost caused a head on collision, but to lay on his horn, as I'm going by, like it's MY fault?
People are getting dumber by the day, and this is Friday's rant
Old 05-29-09, 08:41 PM   #2
bamabassman

feel oyur pain man. i see this happen ALL day long. people just can't figure out what that little handle is for on the left of the steering wheel either. it is a TURN signal fool. USE it at least 100 feet BEFORE you decide to make your turn, not AFTER you start braking. and HANG UP THE @#$% cell phone and pay attention!
Old 05-29-09, 08:43 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Um...did you pass someone through an intersection? If so, that's a definite boo boo on your part. Clarify, please.
Old 05-29-09, 08:46 PM   #4
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Um...did you pass someone through an intersection? If so, that's a definite boo boo on your part. Clarify, please.
nope. on a rural road with the complete right of way. and just for clarification, i don't pass in an intersection.
Old 05-29-09, 10:16 PM   #5
nofearengineer

I'm just having a hard time visualizing it. You said there was a stop sign on your left, and the guy turned right from it. Maybe my little brain needs a diagram.
Old 05-29-09, 10:28 PM   #6
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl

I have road rage too. One time I was going off of a bridge that ends in an intersection, and you turn right on red there. This is a right turn ONLY lane. So... Theres the car in the front, 4 other cars, and me. This light takes forever and all 5 of us are waiting with our turn signals on for this one idiot. I can see the people in front of me throwing up their hands as if to say "What the F***!!!" After about 2 mintues, I couldnt take it anymore. I put it in park, got out, walked up to them, knocked on the window and hollered "EXCUSE ME, YOU CAN TURN RIGHT ON RED HERE!" with a smile that says "you frickin idiot" and a thumbs up. Then I went and got back in my car. Yeaaah... Summer traffic at the beach, plus, bad day at work.
Old 05-29-09, 11:22 PM   #7
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Ummmm, I think the late George Carlin had a few of these
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 06:05 AM   #8
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I'm just having a hard time visualizing it. You said there was a stop sign on your left, and the guy turned right from it. Maybe my little brain needs a diagram.
I was on a road running East and West, heading West. We were coming up to a road running North and South. The 2 cars were traveling North when they came to the stop sign.
Old 05-30-09, 08:12 AM   #9
Bassboss

Wow! So people right? I hate crazy drivers!
Old 05-30-09, 09:17 AM   #10
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

most poeple in my town cant drive.... they dont realy know what a red light is, its ridiculouos...... people will be like ohhh its only yellow, then 6 cars will follow that person, the last 4 goin through red, its ridiculous

yeah i think most people get road rage, its natural
Old 05-30-09, 10:07 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I was on a road running East and West, heading West. We were coming up to a road running North and South. The 2 cars were traveling North when they came to the stop sign.

Dude, that sounds like and intersection to me. And I don't know about up in MI, but in Ohio, that's illegal. So is passing someone already going over the speed limit. Sorry, buddy, but I gotta say this one's your fault.

BB
Old 05-30-09, 10:09 AM   #12
BigBassin144

Oh and don't forget, NEVER get out of your car. Again, I Don't know about MI, but in OHio, if someone approches you out of their car in road rage with a bat, a gun, golf club whatever, as long as you stay in your car, you can pretty much shoot him and you won't get in trouble.

BB
Old 05-30-09, 12:21 PM   #13
Jim80

your a better man than I mallen I would of followed and then beat them senseless .

Jim
Old 05-30-09, 05:01 PM   #14
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Dude, that sounds like and intersection to me. And I don't know about up in MI, but in Ohio, that's illegal. So is passing someone already going over the speed limit. Sorry, buddy, but I gotta say this one's your fault.

BB

Well, you'd be wrong. It is not an intersection and it is a passing area, the yellow broken lines on the pavement clearly show it as such. The fact that the person I was passing was doing 60 never enters into it. The exact same thing would have happened had they been driving 50. I had the right of way and the turner never looked to the right, period
Old 05-30-09, 05:02 PM   #15
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Oh and don't forget, NEVER get out of your car. Again, I Don't know about MI, but in OHio, if someone approches you out of their car in road rage with a bat, a gun, golf club whatever, as long as you stay in your car, you can pretty much shoot him and you won't get in trouble.

BB

Actually, it was more to shout in their face, asking them why they're laying on their horn at me, when I had the right of way. Although......they could have made it much worse!
Old 05-30-09, 06:25 PM   #16
MallenManson

Ok, just to clarify a couple points...I just got off the phone with the former under sheriff of this very county.
A-An interconnecting side road does NOT constitute an intersection, since there is zero question of right of way, and it is perfectly legal to pass in that spot since it is a legal passing zone.
B-They were at fault, since they are required to do 2 things at a stop sign. 1-Stop. 2-Not proceed until it is clear to do so.
Now if someone wants to argue the fact that I passed someone doing 60, be my guest. Do you obey the speed limit when passing? No? Then technically, you're breaking the law.
Carry on
Old 05-30-09, 09:38 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Hmm. this sounds like a weird set-up. I'd have to see it to fully understand, but if it's not an intersection, then it's not. And if there wasn't a solid yellow line, you were OK there.

I agree, they should have looked better, but you never know, they may have looked and didn't see you. I know from personal experience that when people are coming at 60-65mph, they can come up on you before you know it. (I almost got into an accident when I first started driving like this)

I won't argue with you on the speeding thing, but normally, I won't pass if the person in front of me is going the speed limit. I can't afford a ticket (or the gas from driving fast) and like Zook told me on the phone, my bright yellow truck is gonna get cops' attentions.

BB
Old 05-30-09, 10:58 PM   #18
66KingFisher

Quote:
Now if someone wants to argue the fact that I passed someone doing 60, be my guest. Do you obey the speed limit when passing? No? Then technically, you're breaking the law.
Carry on
Actually you said the car you were passing was "already going 5mph OVER the posted limit but that you prefer to drive 10mph over".....So what your saying is that the posted speed limits means nothing....they are just more guidelines or what?....you were breaking the law by speeding before you decided you needed to pass the car in front of you that was also speeding.....so the way I see it you both did something wrong....the guy that didn't look both ways and the guy that wasn't speeding fast enough and needed to pass the speeder in front of him so he could speed even faster.

I'm not trying to start something here.....I have had folks dear to me get killed by non-attentive drivers as well as those that can't seem to keep their cars under their control or under the posted speed limits, so comments like yours tend to get to me a bit.....Its too bad the people in this world we live in can't slow down a bit.....they'd get alot more done.....and they'd be alot happier and we wouldn't have all these road rage issues.

I was in a truck one nite during weekend fishing trip as teens with a couple of buddies....we were that vehicle pulling up to the main road headed to town for some supplies....since we were turning right the driver was only concerned about what was coming from his left....Fortunately I was the passenger on the far right and I was concerned about what was coming from my side....and good thing too, cause just like in your story some ol'boy is haulin the mail passing a vehicle....in our case it was on a curve where he shouldn't of been tryin to pass anyone on a pitch black nite, and had I not yelled at my buddy to stop we'd of had a hellofa wreck right then and there.....so I understand what ya got po'd about bud....but it really does sound like you were both at fault to some degree.

Take some advice from an old guy....slow down guys....you'll live alot longer.....and not just in your driving...slow your life down a bit....smell the roses kinda thing.....lifes to short to live it at top speed all the time....You miss so much stuff when its blurring by you.

Mallen, I hope I didn't upset ya bud....but thats my take on the subject....take it for what its worth.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 12:00 AM   #19
CMorg

Speed kills , but it beats going slow.

Kidding , I seen a shirt that said that once.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 11:39 AM   #20
nofearengineer

Mallen...relax, man.

Me and BigBassin were just giving our opinions of what the situation was...we weren't makin' fun of your ancestry or askin your kid sister out or anything. Nothin to get mad over.

My main point is...if you were doing 50, 60, 70, whatever...how much time would the guy turning right have to see you comin? Not a lot, probably. And I can imagine most of us, when making a right hand turn, don't look too much to the right. I think the road design is probably mostly to blame here. Poor engineering, if you ask me. (I have to admit though...the "laying on the horn" thing would have ticked me off too". )

But blaming the engineer aside...I don't think putting "Here lies MallenManson...at least he knew his traffic regulations well." on your tombstone is really a good outcome. Think defensive driving. The rest of us would like a chance to meet ya someday!
Old 05-31-09, 08:37 PM   #21
cassidyta

As far as the diagram goes, I believe Mallen is describing a a T in the road. His car was on the main road without a stop sign. The other car was attempting to gain access to the main road.

I am not going to even bring up the speed thing. I think it is an issue with the design by the county more than either driver. They are asking for trouble if they have a dotted line road at the same spot where another car can enter the road.
Old 05-31-09, 08:44 PM   #22
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
As far as the diagram goes, I believe Mallen is describing a a T in the road. His car was on the main road without a stop sign. The other car was attempting to gain access to the main road.

I am not going to even bring up the speed thing. I think it is an issue with the design by the county more than either driver. They are asking for trouble if they have a dotted line road at the same spot where another car can enter the road.
I'm not following you here....are you saying you shouldn't be allowed to pass everywhere a side road hits the main road? That's every mile, or less
Old 05-31-09, 08:45 PM   #23
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
Actually you said the car you were passing was "already going 5mph OVER the posted limit but that you prefer to drive 10mph over".....So what your saying is that the posted speed limits means nothing....they are just more guidelines or what?....you were breaking the law by speeding before you decided you needed to pass the car in front of you that was also speeding.....so the way I see it you both did something wrong....the guy that didn't look both ways and the guy that wasn't speeding fast enough and needed to pass the speeder in front of him so he could speed even faster.

I'm not trying to start something here.....I have had folks dear to me get killed by non-attentive drivers as well as those that can't seem to keep their cars under their control or under the posted speed limits, so comments like yours tend to get to me a bit.....Its too bad the people in this world we live in can't slow down a bit.....they'd get alot more done.....and they'd be alot happier and we wouldn't have all these road rage issues.

I was in a truck one nite during weekend fishing trip as teens with a couple of buddies....we were that vehicle pulling up to the main road headed to town for some supplies....since we were turning right the driver was only concerned about what was coming from his left....Fortunately I was the passenger on the far right and I was concerned about what was coming from my side....and good thing too, cause just like in your story some ol'boy is haulin the mail passing a vehicle....in our case it was on a curve where he shouldn't of been tryin to pass anyone on a pitch black nite, and had I not yelled at my buddy to stop we'd of had a hellofa wreck right then and there.....so I understand what ya got po'd about bud....but it really does sound like you were both at fault to some degree.

Take some advice from an old guy....slow down guys....you'll live alot longer.....and not just in your driving...slow your life down a bit....smell the roses kinda thing.....lifes to short to live it at top speed all the time....You miss so much stuff when its blurring by you.

Mallen, I hope I didn't upset ya bud....but thats my take on the subject....take it for what its worth.
Road rage is here to stay, at least until people learn how to drive. And not all road rage deals with speed
Old 05-31-09, 08:52 PM   #24
cassidyta

Quote:
I'm not following you here....are you saying you shouldn't be allowed to pass everywhere a side road hits the main road? That's every mile, or less
I was just trying to diagram the situation. Depending on how busy the on comming road is, it might be a consideration to not allow passing there. Since I don't know the road, I can't say for certain.
Old 05-31-09, 08:55 PM   #25
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I was just trying to diagram the situation. Depending on how busy the on comming road is, it might be a consideration to not allow passing there. Since I don't know the road, I can't say for certain.

It's not busy at all. In fact, the opposite side isn't even paved. But even if it was busy, the right of way is still the right of way. I find it hard to believe that some places shut down passing because of a side road joining the main road.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.