Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-09, 03:31 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default My latest work! I call it, the 4" Diamond Puppy!

Hey guys! I've been making this one for quite some time now, been trying to make it perfect, getting the action size and every down pat with this one! I call it the 4" Diamond Puppy! It's got a very narrow body, kind of like an IMA skimmer, and it has a swayed back like a sway back spook, a concave nose like a LC gun fish, and to top it all of, it has a black feather treble on the read hook! Looks pretty sweet of far, I just wish I had small screw eyes to give it a more uniform look. I'm gonna wrap some lead wire around the back screw eye to get it to sit low in the water too. I already had it on but I had to take it off so I could put the feather on the hook. I'm gonna make it white/red with a glitter gloss coat, hence the name. It walks great if you use a loop knot, and it will also leave a bubble trail behind it, something that I think with really help it catch some more fish! I've yet to put on the glitter and paint.... mainly since I ran out, and don't of glitter!

Here's the pics!

You should be able to see 'em waffle!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00861.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	3972   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00865.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	3973   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00866.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	3974  
Old 07-27-09, 03:48 PM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

HOORAY!! ....i can see em!
looks great my friend,so your not using split rings,just straight to the eye screw i see.
did you wrap that back treble yourself?

its so funny man,i started a new one today on my lunch break.
My boss walk in my production area and caught my sanding it...he likes:

''what are making?''

so i toss him the 2 1/2'' body and tell him it gonna be a fishing lure. he says:

''oh?,I thought you were making something cool'' and walks off.

oh well,not everyone gets it.

how you gonna paint that one?
Old 07-27-09, 03:57 PM   #3
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
HOORAY!! ....i can see em!
looks great my friend,so your not using split rings,just straight to the eye screw i see.
did you wrap that back treble yourself?

its so funny man,i started a new one today on my lunch break.
My boss walk in my production area and caught my sanding it...he likes:

''what are making?''

so i toss him the 2 1/2'' body and tell him it gonna be a fishing lure. he says:

oh well,not everyone gets it.

how you gonna paint that one?
Yup! I wrapped it my self! I used rubber string and fly head cement to hold it. And ya, I just bent out the eyes and slid the hook in!

Quote:
Ya, not every body's as lucky as we are to be into fishing!
Old 07-27-09, 04:10 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

awesome man,thanks for sharing.....yea i re-amped an old jitterbug two weeks ago....new hooks,paint,and clear coat...well fingernail polish,lol...i threw on a blk/purple spinnerbait skirt on the rear treble to replace the old one that was crumbling off.....i think its gonna throw off the action too much...looks great,just dont no if its pracitcal yet......it may need to be lighter like the feathers,and wrapped on instead.

but anyway,after i get some more done on this new lure ill post some pics..
Old 07-27-09, 04:15 PM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
awesome man,thanks for sharing.....yea i re-amped an old jitterbug two weeks ago....new hooks,paint,and clear coat...well fingernail polish,lol...i threw on a blk/purple spinnerbait skirt on the rear treble to replace the old one that was crumbling off.....i think its gonna throw off the action too much...looks great,just dont no if its pracitcal yet......it may need to be lighter like the feathers,and wrapped on instead.

but anyway,after i get some more done on this new lure ill post some pics..
cool! Can't wait for the pics!
Old 07-27-09, 05:28 PM   #6
Stew
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Dang...lookin' good!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 05:48 PM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Dang...lookin' good!
Thanks dad! IB told me about this place where I can get an air brush for 10$ 15-20 mins north!
Old 07-27-09, 06:11 PM   #8
keithdog

That looks pretty darn cool. Can't wait to hear how well it works for you.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 06:37 PM   #9
islandbass

BB,

that is some mighty fine carving!!! Wow! I like the dressed treble. If this lure is supposed to walk the dog and it doesn't work, it might be the dressed treble. Sometimes, when they're dressed a lot, they can hinder the walk the dog motion.

If the kids in my neighborhood saw this, they would tell me your lure looks, "tight."
Old 07-27-09, 08:00 PM   #10
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
BB,

that is some mighty fine carving!!! Wow! I like the dressed treble. If this lure is supposed to walk the dog and it doesn't work, it might be the dressed treble. Sometimes, when they're dressed a lot, they can hinder the walk the dog motion.

If the kids in my neighborhood saw this, they would tell me your lure looks, "tight."
Haha! Thanks IB! I thought that that the feathers would hinder the action too, but not sure yet , if they do, I have some other, shinny stuff to but on, it wouldn't be half as bulky, so it would walk better.

But I've got bad news, the read hook that I had to take off a few times by bending the eye out made the hole that I but the screw in enlarge, so it does not stay in as good... hot any solutions for that?

Hand loose brotha, hang loose!
Old 07-27-09, 10:59 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Bassbosss...I am really impressed with the carving you did on that...if you paint that thing up right, it is going to have "family heirloom" writtin all over it hehe...maybe someday you can pass it down to your son. If you stop fishing long enough to have kids, that is.
Old 07-28-09, 03:00 AM   #12
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Haha! Thanks IB! I thought that that the feathers would hinder the action too, but not sure yet , if they do, I have some other, shinny stuff to but on, it wouldn't be half as bulky, so it would walk better.

But I've got bad news, the read hook that I had to take off a few times by bending the eye out made the hole that I but the screw in enlarge, so it does not stay in as good... hot any solutions for that?

Hand loose brotha, hang loose!
Oh yeah, bud. The solution is actually practical and simple. Use split rings to rectify your situation. I took a closer look at your pics and think that size 3 split rings will work just fine. grabbing a pair of split ring pliers isn't necessary, but they will make it much easier.

The use of the split rings will allow you to change the trebles very easily without fussing or messing with the screweyes. When I make my inline spinners, I also use a split ring as opposed to the standard way trebles are installed, ie, during the construction of the wire body. There is at least one other reason I choose to use a split ring on the inlines besides making the changing out of the hooks easier without having to make a new spinner.
Old 07-28-09, 10:27 AM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Oh yeah, bud. The solution is actually practical and simple. Use split rings to rectify your situation. I took a closer look at your pics and think that size 3 split rings will work just fine. grabbing a pair of split ring pliers isn't necessary, but they will make it much easier.

The use of the split rings will allow you to change the trebles very easily without fussing or messing with the screweyes. When I make my inline spinners, I also use a split ring as opposed to the standard way trebles are installed, ie, during the construction of the wire body. There is at least one other reason I choose to use a split ring on the inlines besides making the changing out of the hooks easier without having to make a new spinner.
Thanks a lot no fear!

And thanks for tips IB! I'll try putting split rings on it, or if not that one, the next! My grandma went out to day, she's gonna go get me some paint and glitter, but I think I'll wait to paint it 'till I get the air brush this weekend!

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-28-09 at 09:47 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 01:38 PM   #14
WaffleJaw

alright so here are some infant pics so far of the ''drumstick'' lure

got some gorilla glue drying on some dents before i proceed......
I think im gonna file the front and make a popper....and i still need to get some 300 grit sand paper,but hopefully it'll be ready to paint by thrusday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lure.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	3979   Click image for larger version

Name:	lure2.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	3980  
Old 07-28-09, 06:20 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
alright so here are some infant pics so far of the ''drumstick'' lure

got some gorilla glue drying on some dents before i proceed......
I think im gonna file the front and make a popper....and i still need to get some 300 grit sand paper,but hopefully it'll be ready to paint by thrusday.
Looking good waffle! You're gonna screw those in more right? Also if you're gonna make it a popper, I would get a sanding drill bit thing, I'm not sure what they're called, but, I'll give you a pic! What color are gonna do it? I think baby bass is fun, it's a little bit more time consuming than other colors, but, it turns out pretty good all the time! I mix a tad of black to some white for the belly, than a tad of black to green for the top, than a bunch of black blotches where the two colors meat, than but some small black dots all the way to the top, and smaller, and few, ones along the bottom. I was making this popper all day to day, so I wasn't on line much. I'll get a pic up of it along with the drill bit I was talking about. Oh, and my popper's called the Chugin' Puppy, and the color is Bleeding bass, I think it turned out pretty nice. btw, I love the name of yours!

Edit:

My camera's not turning on, dunno what's wrong?? I may not be able to get the pics up guys!

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-28-09 at 06:31 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 09:40 AM   #16
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Looking good waffle! You're gonna screw those in more right? Also if you're gonna make it a popper, I would get a sanding drill bit thing, I'm not sure what they're called, but, I'll give you a pic! What color are gonna do it? I think baby bass is fun, it's a little bit more time consuming than other colors, but, it turns out pretty good all the time! I mix a tad of black to some white for the belly, than a tad of black to green for the top, than a bunch of black blotches where the two colors meat, than but some small black dots all the way to the top, and smaller, and few, ones along the bottom. I was making this popper all day to day, so I wasn't on line much. I'll get a pic up of it along with the drill bit I was talking about. Oh, and my popper's called the Chugin' Puppy, and the color is Bleeding bass, I think it turned out pretty nice. btw, I love the name of yours!

Edit:

My camera's not turning on, dunno what's wrong?? I may not be able to get the pics up guys!
haha, yea nothing's screwed in,just threw the hardware in for the pic's.....
yea i have a dremmel tool that im going bring up here to route out the mouth and eye sockets..ill probably take the company credit card to get my sandpaper today and write it off as supplies for my department.....Im broke right now........the first one i made (the failure) was painted in a baby bass type tone.....except i did a yellow belly with a blood spot.....green back with black spots...ill probably do the same,but ill take your advice and put the spots down the side where the colors meet....that would be more bass like,lol......mine looked like a retarded lady bug.
Old 07-29-09, 09:48 AM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
haha, yea nothing's screwed in,just threw the hardware in for the pic's.....
yea i have a dremmel tool that im going bring up here to route out the mouth and eye sockets..ill probably take the company credit card to get my sandpaper today and write it off as supplies for my department.....Im broke right now........the first one i made (the failure) was painted in a baby bass type tone.....except i did a yellow belly with a blood spot.....green back with black spots...ill probably do the same,but ill take your advice and put the spots down the side where the colors meet....that would be more bass like,lol......mine looked like a retarded lady bug.
lol! The lady bug! haha!

Cool! Can't wait to see the pics of the finish. I'm gonna do some "Stuff" to make some jingle this week so I can get the proper hard ware... O rings, smaller hook eyes, stuff like that! What you do for work waffle?

PS: Does anyone now how to get memory off my camera's memory stick other than with a direct USB link?
Old 07-29-09, 10:47 AM   #18
WaffleJaw

Quote:
lol! The lady bug! haha!

Cool! Can't wait to see the pics of the finish. I'm gonna do some "Stuff" to make some jingle this week so I can get the proper hard ware... O rings, smaller hook eyes, stuff like that! What you do for work waffle?

PS: Does anyone now how to get memory off my camera's memory stick other than with a direct USB link?
well, My main 8-5 job for the last 5 years ive work as an asst manager for a reprographics company...printing....I do all the color graphics printing,art reporduction (canvas) and then i also do all the display work...wood framing,dry-mounting (which is the process of putting a paper print to a foam board,used for meetings and court cases) ........large lamination,etc,etc.......im extremely underpaid,and im currently looking for a new job.....and have been for over a year.......the company is a rollercoaster,and im tired of riding it.

I also tattoo part time on the weekends when i can....after my apprienticship,ive worked at a few different shops but never made enough to do it full time...and with a family.mortgage ,car payments...i couldnt gamble quitting my 9-5.....
plus its really more of a hobby and i just mainly tattoo friends and family now.....i wasnt into doing the same tattoo three times a day.
i have some of my ''old'' work when i first started on my myspace page at:

http://www.myspace.com/high5ninja

it hasnt been updated in like two years,,,,lol
Old 07-29-09, 10:59 AM   #19
WaffleJaw

I guess this is what my wife means when she says ''I have too many hobbies''

I forgot to mention that Im also a musician....the other reason i quit working tattoo shops a few years back was to spend that time getting the band off the ground.....Im the bassist.

http://www.myspace.com/primalcircus

it aint paying the bills yet...but were making good connections and playing great venues......enjoy!
Old 07-29-09, 11:10 AM   #20
Bassboss

Cool! The last two sound fun! The first sounds boring! I'd like to maybe start a small online company like BigB and C-rig. Just to get a little cash. Tough Puppy lures is the name, So far I've got a Tough Puppy I, the though puppy II, the Chugin' Puppy, and Diamond Puppy! I've only got 4 so far, I'd like to get a prop bait, and a little wake bait in there too. I'm also gonna try to start making crank baits like IB does! On the web sight I'll have a suggestions board, where people can recommend colors and what not!

Good luck finding a better job!
Old 07-29-09, 11:35 AM   #21
WaffleJaw

i dig it man....keep it at...get a cheap website to host it (like go daddy or something) join every fishing forum and promote it like crazy!...lol...i respect people who follow through with thier ideas.....i thought tattooing was it for me,....but after doing it,i found i really dont get much enjoyment out of it.infact its too stressful...people constantly bugging me for work....then ***** about the price,etc,etc,...thats why i only do friends and family now....in the comfort of my own studio....aka...home,lol

yea well see about the new job....either in music or fishing..haha....BPS is hiring in the fishing department....too bad they wont pay me what i make now....which isnt great,but it pays the bills......i dont know,im picky..and if i change jobs...its gotta be worth it
Old 07-29-09, 02:56 PM   #22
Bassboss

Quote:
i dig it man....keep it at...get a cheap website to host it (like go daddy or something) join every fishing forum and promote it like crazy!...lol...i respect people who follow through with thier ideas.....i thought tattooing was it for me,....but after doing it,i found i really dont get much enjoyment out of it.infact its too stressful...people constantly bugging me for work....then ***** about the price,etc,etc,...thats why i only do friends and family now....in the comfort of my own studio....aka...home,lol

yea well see about the new job....either in music or fishing..haha....BPS is hiring in the fishing department....too bad they wont pay me what i make now....which isnt great,but it pays the bills......i dont know,im picky..and if i change jobs...its gotta be worth it
Ya, my dad's a geek, he can probably help me out with the site. What you make a year?
Old 07-29-09, 03:34 PM   #23
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Ya, my dad's a geek, he can probably help me out with the site. What you make a year?
i did research and found out that my title and work that i do should be near 37k...not including the large format color printing programs and printers i can operate.......what im paid now is a complete insult to that,and thats why im looking elsewhere....the problem is,there isnt a high turn over rate for what i do.....so im kinda stuck unless i change fields.....nothing worse than feeling like your trapped at a job that offers no advancement passed what im doing..........not to mention the hour it takes to get here
Old 07-29-09, 03:50 PM   #24
66KingFisher

Quote:
I've got bad news, the read hook that I had to take off a few times by bending the eye out made the hole that I put the screw in enlarge, so it does not stay in as good... hot any solutions for that?
Put a touch of epoxy in the hole before you screw the eye into place...this will help it hold to the wood better then just relying on the treads......i'd use split rings also, but alot of guys don't.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 05:15 PM   #25
nofearengineer

Waffle, as for getting the pics off of your memory stick...you can use a memory stick reader, which is of course, connected to your PC with a USB or Firewire cable.

Not sure why you don't want to use your camera?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.