Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-05, 07:01 PM   #1
billy_bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to billy_bass
Default spinning tackel

i have been hearing alot of people put down people who use spinning reels and was wondering what yall thought. personaly i prefer spining tackle with light line because i believe it provides me with more bites than say 12 pound on a baitcaster any reply will help
billy_bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 07:11 PM   #2
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010
Default Re: spinning tackel

You are fine with spinning tackle. The people who put it down are people who would throw out a saw because they own a hammer. Each has its place, and they do different things. If you learn to use a baitcaster, you will have more tools at your disposal, but spinning tackle is good stuff, and it is still around for a reason.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 07:11 PM   #3
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

By the way, welcome to the website.
Old 06-08-05, 07:45 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Welcome to the forum!

Not a thing wrong with spinning tackle. I've been using both spinning tackle and baitcasters for for years and wouldn't want to fish without either.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 07:55 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

im an all spinning guy....im not sure why pros always use baitcasters? but i dont go by pros anyways...i think spinning is just as good as baitcasting...its all a matter of prefference.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 07:58 PM   #6
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

its an ego thing, once somebody can cast a baitcaster all day long and not get any birds nests , they start to think spinncast folk are the scum of the earth. Use what you got/makes you comfortable.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 08:01 PM   #7
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

In theory, and I stress THEORY, baitcasting gear is heavier can handle heavier fish. However, all of my saltwater tackle is spinning gear. And if it will handle a redfish or a shark, and it has, it should take care of Mr. Bass. That said, I rarely use spinning tackle for bass. I really prefer baitcasting tackle, but that is just me. I own UL spinning tackle, Zebco reels, you name it. It all has a place.
Old 06-08-05, 08:04 PM   #8
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

What if you used the same line, same pole, and same lure, only difference was one being baitcaster, one being spincaster, which typically (as some are made better than others) would cast further?
Old 06-08-05, 08:07 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

whats up with the spincaster rob? ;D how bout if you used the same on a baitcaster and a spinning....a spinning reel would cast further...i have no idea about spincasters.....
Old 06-08-05, 08:07 PM   #10
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Would depend on what you are throwing. Spinning tackle will, in general, throw lighter stuff better than baitcasting tackle.
Old 06-08-05, 08:13 PM   #11
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I have alot of spinning gear, but I honestly haven't used it better than 2 years now. I do not see the need to have them, but I have a freind who is a better fisherman and only uses spinning gear.He has been the local Bass club champion 13 times so who can argue with him. I have only won the title once. :-/ P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 08:16 PM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

hey PNJ, those spinning reels will have a better home here ;D ;D
Old 06-08-05, 08:17 PM   #13
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Try to skip a lure with baitcasting tackle. Then try it with spinning gear. Great for getting under docks and overhanging branches with no backlash.
Old 06-08-05, 10:56 PM   #14
daveraynor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to daveraynor

I use both I have nothing against spinning reel guys I think you should have both for different things
daveraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 11:11 PM   #15
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

spinning, sorry, not spincasting, the name is too similar, you know you just wanna say it..........Spincasta'
Old 06-08-05, 11:14 PM   #16
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

Welcome to the forum! I perfer spinning my self. I dont know why, I just liemit over everything else!
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 11:42 PM   #17
bass72542
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bass72542

I dont like the spinning reels as well as i like baitasters it just that you have to flip the bail cast flip it back over and i just dont like that......but thats just me
bass72542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 03:43 AM   #18
jd3hayes
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jd3hayes

I like to use both.

With a Shimano Symetre in one hand and a 201 SF Curado mated to a Lamiglas bass rod on the other, those bass had better watch out. ;D

I let what I face dictate what I will use. I suggest using both. The pros do.

As for a spin cast reel, my daughter's Barbie rod is available. ;D
jd3hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 10:10 AM   #19
FLFishFan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FLFishFan

IMO Baitcasters suck. My dad has one and i used it and keep forgetting to stick my thumb on the line to stop it from getting all nested up. If you are used to spinning reels than i wouldn't even mess with them baitcasters.
FLFishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 02:38 PM   #20
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

powerbass...i dissagree with you 100%. first off all, you can do the same thing with either one.....some things you can do alittle better with a spinning...and some alittle better with baitcasting.....i can fish the any heavy duty bait...cast it amile, and with persision accuracy....a baitcaster wont be able to cast as far. as for saying it has backbone ??? we are talking reels...not rods...and with the amount of line it takes up depends on the gear ratio...i can get a spinning rod with the same gear ratio as a baitcaster. and i have about perfected pitching on my spinning reel. and just about flipping too. i can pitch just as good as people with a baitcaster. and talking about all that ''opening, closing'' bail hoo ha, it takes me less then 3 seconds to do. it takes a good angler to be able to do all this....the way i see it...there isnt anything that a baitcaster can do that i cant do with my spinning reel just as good. its called practice...and work that makes me be so good at it...i dont need a baitcaster just so i can ''pitch and flip'' good...i can do it as well with my spinning reel. so inconclusion....you dont need both....i dont see my knowledge or skills hampered at all. actually....being able to do everything on a spinning reel increases your skills....and learning to do all on one reel.....will increase your knowledge and skills considerably.....not hamper them. :
Old 06-10-05, 03:36 PM   #21
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

Rarely will you find me using a spinning reel. But both have their place. Pretty much the only time I use spinning is when fishing a grub. I really like stiff rods and spinning rods are generally not as stiff as baitcasting rods. I can't imagine rat fishing with a spinning reel. As for distance, after you use a baitcaster long enough to develop an educated thumb you can cast just as far with a baitcaster. I can cast a baitcaster faster and further than most can cast a spinning reel. But it is hard to cast a light lure on a baitcaster without backlashing. It is also easier to skip with a spinning reel but it can be done with a baitcaster. It takes a lot of practice and digging out backlashes but it can be done. I always skip with a baitcaster because I like to use a stiff rod and strong line in case a bass gets you wrapped around something.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 03:40 PM   #22
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

you get a heavy baitcasting rod and a heavy spinning rod...then bassically you are going to get equal stiffness out of either one...so basing what reel you get ny the rod wouldnt make a difference.
Old 06-10-05, 04:09 PM   #23
bamabassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bamabassin

I prefer spinning reels for one reason, when i'm throwing towards the bank and there are alot of trees overhanging the water I like to skip a worm or fluke off the water underneath the overhanging tree! You can't do that with a baitcaster!

I have had success with both but prefer a spinning reel!
bamabassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 04:23 PM   #24
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1118268071;start=0#20 date=06/10/05 at 13:38:08]powerbass...i dissagree with you 100%. first off all, you can do the same thing with either one.....some things you can do alittle better with a spinning...and some alittle better with baitcasting.....i can fish the any heavy duty bait...cast it amile, and with persision accuracy....a baitcaster wont be able to cast as far. as for saying it has backbone ??? we are talking reels...not rods...and with the amount of line it takes up depends on the gear ratio...i can get a spinning rod with the same gear ratio as a baitcaster. and i have about perfected pitching on my spinning reel. and just about flipping too. i can pitch just as good as people with a baitcaster. and talking about all that ''opening, closing'' bail hoo ha, it takes me less then 3 seconds to do. it takes a good angler to be able to do all this....the way i see it...there isnt anything that a baitcaster can do that i cant do with my spinning reel just as good. its called practice...and work that makes me be so good at it...i dont need a baitcaster just so i can ''pitch and flip'' good...i can do it as well with my spinning reel. so inconclusion....you dont need both....i dont see my knowledge or skills hampered at all. actually....being able to do everything on a spinning reel increases your skills....and learning to do all on one reel.....will increase your knowledge and skills considerably.....not hamper them. :[/quote]

sorry, just thought I would put in my opinion, but mostly i use spinning tackle, just for convienience, but I do know how to use a baicaster also
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 08:52 PM   #25
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

no need to be sorry....you put your opinion in and i put in mine..... 8)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.