Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-10, 10:19 PM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Goodbye, summer fishing opportunities....

Nobody has spoken much of it on the board, but its the elephant on the coast down here. We are all waiting to see what the oil is going to do.

And times like these tend to make me reflective. We fish from when we are young men, some of us are now ancient, others in between....

How often does the possibility strike when we can fish a place no more?

Well, I have always worried about my smallmouth streams being polluted or dammed, and a little about g'ville and the grass or kissimmee going residential, but now...

...the gulf of Mexico being sterilized?

This is just bigger than I can get my head around. I am going to try and hit the bay if the wind slows down one more time before the oil starts hitting the beaches. Don't know how far in the bay the oil will go, but reports are they just cant stop it.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 10:57 PM   #2
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

wow wtl that must suck
Old 05-02-10, 12:26 AM   #3
66KingFisher

Yea, it looks like this is gonna be a bad deal all around before its said and done. I pray that the damage to all the coastal areas is minimal, but even then its gonna be quite a mess the way its looking.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 03:20 AM   #4
1/4 stick

It's a shame what's going on down there. I still think it's odd how this happened so soon after Obama started talking about looking into drilling. But maybe that's just my paranoia.
Old 05-02-10, 03:42 AM   #5
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

There has been a deffinate impact on the industry by this tragedy. I work with quite a few people that worked on that rig with the 11 that went down with it. And the aftermath is it yet to be spoken. If it is leaking at a speculated 210000 gallons, or 5000 barrels a day, then this will be by far felt for years and years. And the bad part is, if the well does not self-bridge over, it will either keep growing by washing out the current holes in the well head or peter out. But there is no telling how big the reserve is, so who knows. It used to be when someone mentioned Exxon, they thought Valdez. BP and Transocean has pulled the monkey off their back though. And now BPs reputation will be associated with the rig in Davy Jone's locker and the worst oil spill in US history.
Old 05-02-10, 08:56 AM   #6
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Seems like its one thing after another, earth quakes hurricanes. I feel sorry for the people it affects.
Old 05-02-10, 10:27 AM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Bubba i am sorry for the families that lost their husband,father and your co-workers first of all. What i find depressing is that BP didn't think it was such a big deal, or so reported. this is gonna really destroy the fishing industry horribly in an economy that is already at the bottom. And it will also re-enforce the need and demand for alternative fuels. This is not going to be something that will go away overnight. Look for more taxes, money lost and families destroyed over this. The gulf coast is a MEGA player in the sea-food industry and this just might be another nail in the coffin. I am in such a depression cause we have family down there and are hearing of folks hurrying to get as much sea-food as they can right now, so as to stock up for when it does hit the coast. Pray for our folks and the families and the gulf coast in general gang.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.