Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-10, 09:17 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Icast 2010

With I cast soon approaching, I was wondering what everyone would like to see from manufacturers.

Quite a bit for me...

First off, Daiwa and Shimano have huge gaps in their lineups. with the exception of the unpopular Aggrest (which is rumored to be discontinued soon) there is not a single reel between the HSTA and Zillion is the Daiwa line up. For Shimano, they've got nothing from the Curado all the way up to the Chronarch.

For Daiwa, there's a number of things I like to see. First up would be a nice reel to compete with the Revo S and Citica. I'd like to see a reel or two in between the HSTA and Zillion; another Sol/Alphas reel would be nice, as would an aluminum Steez maybe in the Zillion price range. Also, a lighter version of the Zillion. A USDM Pixy would be sweet, but I don't think there's enough demand for it here.

For Shimano, I'm hoping for a US version of the Scorpion 1000/1001. It is basically an aluminum version of the Core50/Aldebaran. Other than a few more gear ratios in some of the reels, that's about it.

I'd love to see Dobyns Rods come out with some shorter rods, in the 6'3" or 6'4" range as nothing they offer now is below 6'8".

Berkley PowerBait needs a version of the senko, and I'd be extremely happy if they got one this year.

One thing I don't have to hope for is the new Sufix 832 braid, I just have to wait for it. (and hope it's not excessively expensive!)

There's my probably too long of a list, so what would you guys like to see at ICAST 2010?

BB
Old 07-05-10, 09:23 AM   #2
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nothing; there is plenty of over-rated JDM stuff on the market already. I am enjoying the paring down, by the manufacturers due to the recession. I have been fishing for a lot of years and reading a lot of forums for a lot of years. I think maybe the trend can go to where the fish are, what are the feeding on and less to the purchase of equipment.This has put my game up to a more enjoyable level than any equipment I have ever purchased.

Last edited by Ebbetsguy; 07-05-10 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling and a bit more of explanation
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 09:39 AM   #3
Kevin
Administrator

I'm still waiting for 500 lb thrust trolling motors.

I'm still waiting for deep-cycle marine batteries that can be brought from low to full charge in 10-minutes.

I'm still waiting for a marine mountable hot dog roller.

If I get just one of these this year at ICAST, I will be a happy man.

Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 09:41 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbetsguy View Post
Nothing; there is plenty of over-rated JDM stuff on the market already. I am enjoying the paring down, by the manufacturers due to the recession. I have been fishing for a lot of years and reading a lot of forums for a lot of years. I think maybe the trend can go to where the fish are, what are the feeding on and less to the purchase of equipment.This has put my game up to a more enjoyable level than any equipment I have ever purchased.
Actually, there isn't any JDM stuff on our market. That's why it's JDM.

BB
Old 07-05-10, 09:45 AM   #5
Ebbetsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Actually, there isn't any JDM stuff on our market. That's why it's JDM.

BB
That's great!!!!!!! Thats funny and I do not care who you are

Kevin: I would settle for a one hour charge and a floating pizza oven
Old 07-05-10, 10:37 AM   #6
Bassboss

Well you all ready know some of what I'd like to see. A higher bearing count/aluminum citica would be sweet. Something to replace the teirra like you said would be cool too.

And yeah, the gaps the Shimano, and Daiwa filled would be cool.

Also a re-done revo S, maybe magnetic breaks.

Daiwa and shimano don't really have a "good" looking 80$ range rod, like the vendetta. Or a whole line of rod made to compete against the new rods Garcia has. Something like that would be SWEET too. And that's probably what I'd like to see the most.

Maybe a fryer/live well combo would be nice!!
Old 07-05-10, 10:54 AM   #7
keithdog

I'd like to see Rapala come out with a jointed Shad Rap in a shallow water version. And I second your idea for a Senko type Berkley Power Bait. I'd also LOVE to see a soft plastic lizard bait built to be closer in size and color to the spotted or tiger salamander. It could have a body with a hook slit like the Basstrix soft body swimbaits.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 11:55 AM   #8
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Well you all ready know some of what I'd like to see. A higher bearing count/aluminum citica would be sweet.
They currently produce this reel, it is called a Chronarch
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 12:04 PM   #9
nofearengineer

I think it's interesting that nobody mentioned any gaps in the Abu Garcia product line. They seem to be the only company right now that has it all covered, from entry level to ridiculous high end (well, maybe not as high end as the Calais DC, but give them time).

Then again, they don't have 400 models of spinning reels like Shimano.

Abu needs to introduce more spinning gear, and not just the ghetto-blingety Premier.
Old 07-05-10, 12:09 PM   #10
Tavery5

I would like to see the move from aluminum handles to carbon fiber type handles, or at least have the option of carbon, also alot of reels out there would benefit from slightly longer handles.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 12:09 PM   #11
WTL

I was gonna mention Abu -

I have been saying this for a long time, the pixy needs competition. I think the market would easily support a tiny Revo. Just downsize every component and put it on the market already.

Id also like to see them bring back ebbets field and the polo grounds.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 12:22 PM   #12
Ebbetsguy

Ebbets is in my heart forever, I went to games there before the Dodgers left and broke our collective hearts. I was a child when they moved but I have pics of me and my Dad there. Sorry I do not intend to hijack your thread.

How muchy smaller can they make Baitcasters? My thumb can't fit in a few reels they make as it is.

Do you guys think that a baitcaster made to throw lighter baits can be made full sized with the right mechanics?

Last edited by Ebbetsguy; 07-05-10 at 12:23 PM. Reason: add on
Old 07-05-10, 12:36 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Ebbet, there are only a couple of components that make any difference whatsoever with regards to casting lighter lures: the spool and the levelwind; i.e, the physical size of the reel itself isn't that important.

As far as the spool is concerned, they've pretty much exhausted the "single material" angle, as far as porting and machining aluminum or magnesium. I would look for something like a 2-piece spool with a carbon fiber insert or some sort of titanium shell, magnesium core spool design. However, these are not going to be cheap.

With the levelwind, the problem is not really one of mass, but of the gearing and bearings. Yes, an engaged levelwind helps with the line friction losses during a cast, but negates the friction gains of having a disengaged spool. Dry, ceramic bearings would help here, but again, add to the cost, and hurt durability. I would like to see a reel that has a lever or button to switch between engaged and disengaged spools, so you could choose for yourself.
Old 07-05-10, 12:41 PM   #14
Ebbetsguy

Thank you, I have often wondered about this, and I am not a mechanically minded individual by any means, That answer makes sense, I have 4 reels and they will cast all I have in my tackle bag. I am not what you would call a tackle enthusiast either
Old 07-05-10, 12:50 PM   #15
Jrob78

The gaps filled in the Daiwa line up is really what I'm interested in the most. That is the most likely place my money will go. I don't care about seeing anymore new Zillion incarnations either, I want to see NEW models and new lines.

Berkley does have the heavy weight stick baits, they don't seem to be very popular though and they're pretty pricey.

I am also interested in seeing what the rod companies do. Micro guides are obviously going to be a big player this year, I'm wondering how many, if any, spiral wrapped rods will debut too.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 02:42 PM   #16
Bender

I'm also on a budget this year and thankfully there isn't much that I need or have even seen that has caught my eye as something I'd like to have. What I would like to see is the price drop of all the current models out there for example I'd like to see the Core lose $100.

Maybe a new net design would be nice, something like the Hibernet just not so big. That thing looks like a musky net to me. I don't use a net often but it's something I always carry in the boat in case I catch a giant that is barely hooked. And I do agree with Kevin on the batteries but while that isn't probable to happen soon maybe a "good" solar charging system.

On the electronics front something I'd like to see but wouldn't buy (no ice here) is an ice fishing sonar system with side imaging. If you've been ice fishing can you imagine the advantage of seeing all around you and not just in a cone down your hole? I bet this one is coming soon.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 02:56 PM   #17
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I'm also on a budget this year and thankfully there isn't much that I need or have even seen that has caught my eye as something I'd like to have. What I would like to see is the price drop of all the current models out there for example I'd like to see the Core lose $100.
Bender, you beat me too it. I was also wanting to see a price drop in products. Although, I think the floating pizza oven idea from earlier in the thread is more realistic than a price drop. Niether one is very realistic.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 03:07 PM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
Bender, you beat me too it. I was also wanting to see a price drop in products. Although, I think the floating pizza oven idea from earlier in the thread is more realistic than a price drop. Niether one is very realistic.
I don't know, with all the high quality rods in the $100 range that have come out over the last 2 years a few decent budget reels wouldn't be a big surprise.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 03:43 PM   #19
Ebbetsguy

I bought these this year for under a 100 and all are great reels

Quantum Catylst 139, reduced to 89 at Cabelas

BPS current Pro Qualifier, on sale last month for 79 bucks
Old 07-05-10, 03:46 PM   #20
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

As hot as it's been around here, I could just about cook a hot dog on my compartment lid latches and hinges. Maybe next time I'll take a cast-iron skillet with me and pan fry some brats, or a couple eggs or something.
Old 07-05-10, 03:53 PM   #21
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
As hot as it's been around here, I could just about cook a hot dog on my compartment lid latches and hinges. Maybe next time I'll take a cast-iron skillet with me and pan fry some brats, or a couple eggs or something.
If that aint the truth. I actually has a couple jerkbaits half melt in a box recently.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 06:59 PM   #22
MIbasser

I would like to see them come out with an amphibious "beer cart". Have the cute college girl come up to your boat so you could buy your drinks.
Oh, and maybe have some tackle on it as well.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 10:05 PM   #23
rrw4258

I am waiting for the new Strike King Hardbaits, specifically the new Series 3 XD crankbait, and the Spook Style bait.

Ryan
Old 07-05-10, 11:11 PM   #24
carolina-rig-01

I heard through the grape vine that there will be some new rod guides there that will intrest me quite a bit. They are coming out with Recoil Micro guides, I will have to give these a good looking over when we design the ThunderStruck Jigs line of jig rods later this year.
Old 07-14-10, 12:46 PM   #25
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Icast

Keving, I am will be at iCast for the next two days. Do you have a vendors booth or are you attending as a buyer etc.

Would love to at least say hi. Besides we have he same barber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'm still waiting for 500 lb thrust trolling motors.

I'm still waiting for deep-cycle marine batteries that can be brought from low to full charge in 10-minutes.

Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.