Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-10, 02:48 AM   #1
florida fisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default central florida largemouth

I've fished south Florida with a lot of luck, but I've recently moved to central Florida and in four months I've caught one small largemouth under one pound. Anyone have any tips or tricks to help me out, Thanks
florida fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 07:55 AM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

you bank or boat fish? If from a boat, have you considered teh Harris Chain?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 09:57 AM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Shouldn't be much different than here in south Fl. You've just gotta find the best ponds, and lakes, than find the fish!
Old 07-08-10, 04:35 PM   #4
bassinbob

Look in the phone book for guides. Should give you an idea for some good lakes to fish.
Old 07-08-10, 06:58 PM   #5
WTL

When he comes back and gives us a location where he is at, and whether he has a boat, we will probably be able to set him up.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 08:19 PM   #6
florida fisher

im in lakeland and do have a boat
Old 07-08-10, 09:40 PM   #7
WTL

Then you are in business.

First off, Rons tackle in Lake Alfred seems to be the most well known tackle shop in the area, and I am sure they can give you specific advice within a 15 mile radius of lakeland. I have fished lake alfred in the past, but did no good. Most of my fishing in that area has taken place on the south kissimmee chain to your east.

The current report can normally be found on the ledger's website;
http://www.theledger.com/section/sports

Quote:
Polk Couty Ledger says:

1Around Lakeland, bass fishermen who took advantage of overcast skies and intermittent showers were rewarded with good numbers up to 4-5 pounds. Fisherman boated a 7-pounder at Lake Gibson under a dock on a black/blue tip Jethro Krazy Karly Senko-style worm, reports Bobby Blizzard at Big Fish Bait and Tackle. Bass on Gibson also around mouth of canals with water running, and on deep shorelines with small shiners. Chuck Borden of Lakeland released 10 bass up to 3-5 pounds at Saddle Creek Park Wednesday morning with Strike King spinnerbait (chartreuse/white/gold willow blades), reports Stacy Roberts at Phillips Bait and Tackle. Lot of channel catfish averaging 4 pounds at Saddle Creek off bottom with red worms and nightcrawlers since heavy rains started, Roberts said, and smaller speckled cats. Limits of nice-sized bluegill at Banana Lake around grass edges on crickets, Roberts said. Smaller bluegill on east shoreline of Parker, at Saddle Creek and Mud Lake.

2At Auburndale, lot of bass 1-2 pounds on Lake Alfred Saturday in Lions Club tournament on 10-inch worms (junebug, redbug) and lipless crankbaits, and identical pair of 4 1/2-pounders, reports Ron Schelfo at Ron's Tackle Box in Lake Alfred. Bass and catfish in running water from heavy rains through culverts on Lake Haines and Lake Rochelle. Bluegill "crazy good" on Lake Haines and Lake Rochelle, Schelfo said, with size large on crickets in grass and on edge of grass.

3At Winter Haven, Tony Withem boated a 10-pound-plus bass on Lake Eloise Tuesday evening, said Ron Schelfo. Bass up to 3 1/2 pounds in July 4 tournament on Lake McLeod with 13 pounds to win. Limits of nice bluegill on Lake Eloise, said Stacy Roberts. And bluegill good on Howard, said Schelfo.

4At Lake Hamilton, yearling bass starting to school in mornings, with fishermen trolling Strike King No. 4 series crankbaits or casting Flukes, reports Gary Parramore at Chain O' Lakes Bait and Tackle in Dundee (863-439-3885).

5At Lake Marion near Haines City, shellcracker made return appearance over weekend, starting Friday and Saturday, mixed about 50-50 with bluegill, said Ray Chase at Bannon's Camp. One fisherman brought in 30 shellcracker and 20 bluegill. Use red worms for shellcracker and crickets for bluegill in lily pads. Chase said the game warden was out checking boats Wednesday afternoon, making sure anglers weren't exceeding limits.

6At Lake Pierce, lot of bluegill in lily pads and cattails, with crickets better than red worms, reports Jennings Camp. Boats out of camp picking up 25-30 before it gets too hot, and limits for those who stay longer. Bass 1-3 pounds OK on Rat-L-Traps.

7At Lake Hatchineha, some limits of bluegill around Marker 11 and along outside edge of bulrushes, said Leo Cosce.

8At Lake Toho, usual summertime bite with bass 3-5 pounds around open-water hydrilla patches on 10-inch junebug worms and Senkos, with topwater action until sun comes up, reports Mark Detweiler at Big Toho Marina. Guides producing 12-18 bass up to 4-5 pounds on wild shiners. Water level up a little with daily rains, but gates open at Southport locks, creating current below locks.

9At Lake Kissimmee, fishing was great over July 4 weekend for bass, bluegill and speckled perch, said Leo Cosce at Camp Lester, although not a lot of anglers out. Bass hitting surface lures (Devil's Horse, Boy Howdy, Pop-R) and spinnerbaits early around mouth of boat trails, with bigger bites 7-10 pounds on 10-inch worms over open-water brush piles and flipping down stretches of outside grass with black/blue craws and creature baits.
I am more comfortable commenting on the kissimmee report cause I was down there a month and a half ago. Leo was catching them on the same lures then as well. There really are a couple patterns that tend to hold pretty good on those lakes, and one is hitting the boat trails on kissimmee, areas such a philadelphia point and the eagles nest. Last month I was busting them on spinnerbaits, but others will throw or flip large worms in red shad or junebug colors.

Leo didnt mention it in his report, so maybe the pattern isnt as hot now, but normally you can get bites if all else fails by targeting shell beds in the canals with crankbaits and split shot rigs. On the split shot rigs, a fluke 12" ahead of the shot, or perhaps a senko or french fry can be particularly effective for bass 1-5 pounds with the occasional larger fish.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 12:07 AM   #8
florida fisher

Thanks for all the reports im going to try out lake Gibson tomorrow
Old 07-13-10, 02:20 PM   #9
TARHEELXRD
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

I would hit the ramp right outside of Orlando off of 4 I had some good days there earlier this year and around the Dynamite hole
TARHEELXRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 08:49 PM   #10
florida fisher

havent heard of that one before ill go there and try it out
Old 07-13-10, 09:26 PM   #11
TARHEELXRD
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida fisher View Post
havent heard of that one before ill go there and try it out

One of my favorite spots. We were shinner fishing though. I had a good guide in the area if you are interested. I can get you his #
TARHEELXRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 09:28 PM   #12
walkeraviator

The Harris Chain is world class fishing man...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 10:54 PM   #13
florida fisher

yeah ive been there when I was littler but havent had much time to go way out there lately

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.