Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 09-01-10, 01:00 AM   #1
Ground Pounder
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default So... what was in the goodie-bag?

Hey folks, you might remember that I proposed a goodie bag swap back at the beginning of August. Well, five of our brethren signed up, and we hit our local stores for some shopping.

Unfortunately, my camera's broken, so I'm hoping one of the guys will put up some photos when they get their packages. In the meantime, I wanted to give everyone a short description of what we ended up with.

(Note - I'm not sure what the rules are regarding posting info of stores, products, etc. that aren't officially affiliated with the site, so please let me know if this violates any TOS rules - thx!)

Vegasspider sent in an awesome variety of Gitzits and Skin & Bones plastics from Canyon Plastics in Las Vegas, NV. He also couldn't help himself, and sent us some Luck 'E Strike Bass Magic Shakey Tails to try out, plus a little something extra (more on that in a minute)

carolina-rig-01 sent in some samples of his PB&J football jigs, made by his company, Thunderstruck Jigs out of Carthage, MO. Featuring 80-strand skirts for a full presentation and limitless customization, these jigs team up perfect with...

bcklash's 3 1/2" Kodiac creature baits in a Ginger Craw color with purple flake from River Rock Custom Baits in Waynesboro, VA. Real nice colors on these, and a nice compliment to the jigs... do you guys hang out or something?

Jrob78 headed over to the Academy store near Dallas, TX and scored us some H2O Xpress model CRS shallow-diver (2'-5') square-billed crankbaits in Natural Shad, a great baitfish imitator for runnin' those schooling shad.

cassidyta headed down to Fisherman's Outpost in San Diego, CA and picked up some of their house-made Flutter Craft 4" hottie curly tailed worms in chocolate, a perfect option for both speed and finesse applications.

Ground Pounder (the guy that came up with this hair-brained idea) reached way up north to the UP to grab a few hand-painted Trigger Blade Baits from RJ Lures in Houghton, MI, in a "phat shad" color scheme. These blade baits have a heavy vibration that works great on open water smallies when the bite's thin (and the toothy-critters here in the Great Lakes love them as well!).

--------------------------

and now for the surprise...

--------------------------

I open Vegasspider's package, and with all the other stuff in there, and I see a KVD-autographed Strike King KVD-C1 crankbait

When I e-mailed him to make sure he didn't put it in there by mistake, and he replied:

"I got lucky and got 6 of those as a door prize a few years ago. I was at a Nitro event and KVD was there and hardly anyone showed up and they gave me a box of stuff and 6 signed ones in the box."

"What to do?" I asked myself. I could keep it, but that wouldn't be fair. I could pull a name out of a hat, but that's too easy. I could donate it to the fishing gods at my local lake, but that would only bless my lake, so that wouldn't work. So I decided to do what anyone else would...

... An NBA style and have a draft lottery!

I dropped one ping-pong ball with everyone's name on it into a bucket... along with 47 ping-pong balls with my name on them...

Nah, I'm kidding. I had my kid draw out of a hat, and the winner was...

carolina-rig-01

So that's it for now folks. Gentlemen, I'll drop you a line in the morning with your tracking numbers, and I hope everyone enjoys their new fall fishin' toys.

Also, for those who didn't get a chance to participate, or those who want to participate again, be on the look out for the upcoming September version of the goodie bag swap, appropriately themed...

"Back to School"

-GP-
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-10, 01:59 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Sounds really cool Mike, very cool idea. I'll have to see what september brings (hopefully a job! ), but I hope to participate in the next one.

What where you thinking for the "back to school" theme? Or nothing special, just name?

BB
Old 09-01-10, 06:11 PM   #3
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Pounder View Post

carolina-rig-01 sent in some samples of his PB&J football jigs, made by his company, Thunderstruck Jigs out of Carthage, MO. Featuring 80-strand skirts for a full presentation and limitless customization, these jigs team up perfect with...

bcklash's 3 1/2" Kodiac creature baits in a Ginger Craw color with purple flake from River Rock Custom Baits in Waynesboro, VA. Real nice colors on these, and a nice compliment to the jigs... do you guys hang out or something?

-GP-
Naw--Great minds think a like.
Old 09-01-10, 06:55 PM   #4
bamabassman

if i can you can count me in the next one as well. jsut got a LOT going on right now.
Old 09-02-10, 02:27 AM   #5
Ground Pounder

BB - "Back to School" is gonna' be all about imitating the schooling baitfish. Will have more about it in the opening and sign-up thread, which I'll be posting tomorrow.

My camera should be back in action tomorrow, so I'll post up some pics for you folks.
Old 09-02-10, 09:08 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
BB - "Back to School" is gonna' be all about imitating the schooling baitfish. Will have more about it in the opening and sign-up thread, which I'll be posting tomorrow.

My camera should be back in action tomorrow, so I'll post up some pics for you folks.
Oh, ok.

Another idea would be something new to you that you'd like to learn. Learning, back to school.

Can't wait and hope I can participate.

BB
Old 09-02-10, 11:17 AM   #7
WaffleJaw

Count me in for the next one as well!
Old 09-02-10, 11:35 AM   #8
carolina-rig-01

WOOOHOOO! I can't wait to lay eyes on this stuff. And I won the KVD crankbait? Man my name never gets drawn for anything like that, this is awesome!
Old 09-02-10, 02:47 PM   #9
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

May have to try something like this again in April or May when some of us get tax refunds and may have a few extra dollars to spend.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 05:45 PM   #10
bamabassman

screball...that is AN EXCELLANT IDEA MAN!!!
Old 09-06-10, 08:03 PM   #11
Ground Pounder

Sorry I haven't been able to get the September thread up yet - been a busy weekend with the family, but should have everything together by morning.
Old 09-10-10, 04:29 PM   #12
Jrob78

Got my package today. Great stuff guys! Can't wait to try everything out. I took a quick picture of my haul. This is everything except what I sent, don't have one of those with me at work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	5773  
Old 09-11-10, 08:07 AM   #13
bcklash

Got mine also, this was cool.
Old 09-11-10, 11:00 AM   #14
Jrob78

bcklash, those River Rock baits smelled amazing! Everyone at my work LOVED them.
They will make perfect trailers for those ThunderStruck Jigs!
Old 09-11-10, 03:53 PM   #15
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
bcklash, those River Rock baits smelled amazing! Everyone at my work LOVED them.
They will make perfect trailers for those ThunderStruck Jigs!
I hope they didn't have'em for lunch.

I got me a bag of them, hope to try'em in the morning along with an H20 crankbait.
Old 09-12-10, 11:53 AM   #16
Ground Pounder

Nice photo Joe - good contrast of ideas in this batch!

I'm still trying to work out the logistics for the next one, and working on getting something special for everyone, so we likely won't get it going until sometime late this week.
Old 09-12-10, 02:47 PM   #17
Jrob78

Quote:
Nice photo Joe - good contrast of ideas in this batch!

I'm still trying to work out the logistics for the next one, and working on getting something special for everyone, so we likely won't get it going until sometime late this week.
Finding something unique is going to get tougher every time we do it, especially if the same people participate. Still a lot of fun though!

I've never fished a blade bait before, looking forward to trying it out!
Old 09-12-10, 04:54 PM   #18
Ground Pounder

Check out the blade in a pool or a bucket - you'll notice that almost all the action comes when it's moving up, which is kind of different than a spoon, which typically flutters more on the downward fall.

Makes for a really good vertical bait - ice fishers love it for this reason. Also lets you feel the bite really well, so you don't have to really line watch. Just wait for the tap and set the hook.

I use mine mainly for bridge fishing near the damn on my local lake - just move side to side on the bridge and jig up and down near the pillars. I fish the one like I sent on 10 lb. flouro on a spinning rod.
Old 09-12-10, 05:21 PM   #19
Jrob78

Very cool, I'll take it to the pool and experiment with it.
Old 09-13-10, 01:06 PM   #20
carolina-rig-01

I got mine too! Everything looks great. I can't wait to get these baits on the water and play around with them. Ground Pounder, thank you for getting this thing together. It was a great idea.
Old 09-16-10, 09:33 AM   #21
gonefishin3

So wait.. a crankbait signed by van dam is worth some kinda value ? What would a hat be worth signed by all the van dam brothers be worth?...
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 12:34 PM   #22
Ground Pounder

Nah, probably not worth any kind of value, but it's cool **** to have it you're a bass fisherman.
Old 09-16-10, 12:58 PM   #23
Vegasspider

I was like a little kid waiting for mine. I am stuck traveling for work this week and will write more about my haul when I get home and the mind relaxes. Can't wait to do it again.

Try those skin and bones as trailers...that little tentacle is like a finger calling the small mouths over! It's like a tadpole smacking a whale….

I love regional stuff from other places. That’s what I do when I travel for business is look at the local Craigslist for stuff. Problem is I am stuck going back and forth to LA and NYC. Not much there, I have not already seen.

Let’s do it again right now.

I do have a few more of those KVD signed Strike Kings if we can find a good cause to raffle. I have two more I will let go.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-10, 01:44 PM   #24
cassidyta

Mine arrived last week, but I was out of town. I opened mine up on at my Saturday Tourney. I was able to toss every bait. The crank landed two keepers.
The jigs are awesome, but the lake doesn't really support jig fishing.
Thanks to GP for setting this up and thanks to everyone who participated.
Old 09-21-10, 02:41 PM   #25
Vegasspider

I am finally going to get out for three this weekend. It will be short days as my grandbaby is coming to visit and I wont miss that for anything. I am going to give it all a go. I sent a few pieces to my son in Florida but he has not had a chance to get on the water yet. Are we ready to do another one? I can give GP a break and do all the work this time. As long as we rotate could keep it going.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.