Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-10, 08:19 PM   #1
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Braid - New use

Over the last two weeks I've come to have a very found love of braid. Two weeks ago I went on a smallmouth trip. We were faced with some pretty stiff wind that positioned the smallies up ON the rocks. The first day I found a pattern that involved casting a spinnerbait up into a couple inches of water and rolling it off the edge of the rock. The smallies were absolutely stacked waiting for shad, but I was only hooking 1 out of every 5-6. Not good.

After getting off the water on the first day it just hit me. I should have really tried braid. So, I respooled my spinnerbait rod with 50 lb. braid overnight. I headed out in the morning and the wind had picked up a little more from the previous day. While I'm not a huge fan of fishing in 3-4' rollers standing on the front of boat, I had to give it a try. On my first cast of the morning, I hooked (and landed) a 3+. I was simply amazed that I it worked. I went on to land over 30 smallies over the next three hours, and only lost two.

Yesterday I went back. Faced with the same strong south wind, I started and ended my day with the braid, and it worked fantastic. At one time we were catching a smallmouth or a hybrid white bass (one over 8 lbs.) on every cast. An absolute blast. Had I not switched to braid I don't think I would have hooked nearly as many. As a matter of fact, the guy I fished with lost 5 or more before he landed his first one. He switched over to a reel spooled with braid, and joined in on the fun. I will probably stick with braid from here on out on my spinnerbait rod.

If you are going to try braid, I do have a couple suggestions. First, let up on the drag. Second, if you have the option, switch to a little lighter spined rod.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 10:17 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Man, it sounds like you've had a pretty awesome couple weeks of fishing, I'm jealous! I've never caught a smallie, I think they are really beautiful fish.

I'm glad you figured out a solution to your missed fish problem. As was mentioned in another thread, carefully choosing your line can play a very critical role in your fish landing success in certain situations.

I would consider using a slower action rod. I find that a slower action really helps when fishing moving baits with a lot of drag in the water, like spinnerbaits. Instead of using a lighter powered rod I would probably use a MH power with MF action. This would give you ample back bone but would still allow plenty of "give" while fishing braid. I also find that a slower rod makes fishing high drag baits more comfortable, the rod acts as a bit of shock absorber. Just a thought.
Old 09-11-10, 08:24 AM   #3
lilmule

Actually switching to ten pd power pro and a spinning outfit works quite well for suspended fish,in a windy or current area.Generally use senkos or flukes myself,cant think of any reason as diameter surely isnt a problem since your using heavier braid,so must be its wind resistance and less bow in the line.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 08:28 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've been using braid with spinnerbaits for a couple years and I agree it's very effective. One advantage for me is that I fish spinnerbaits around and through lilly pads and grass, which is where the braid really helps.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 08:29 AM   #5
bamabassman

camg, i too have gotten to love braid. may not be for the smallies but it has changed my fishing in the grass.

happy to see you got a boat load of fish man. bet it was awesum.
Old 09-11-10, 09:13 AM   #6
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Man, it sounds like you've had a pretty awesome couple weeks of fishing, I'm jealous! I've never caught a smallie, I think they are really beautiful fish.

I'm glad you figured out a solution to your missed fish problem. As was mentioned in another thread, carefully choosing your line can play a very critical role in your fish landing success in certain situations.

I would consider using a slower action rod. I find that a slower action really helps when fishing moving baits with a lot of drag in the water, like spinnerbaits. Instead of using a lighter powered rod I would probably use a MH power with MF action. This would give you ample back bone but would still allow plenty of "give" while fishing braid. I also find that a slower rod makes fishing high drag baits more comfortable, the rod acts as a bit of shock absorber. Just a thought.
I don't disagree with you - I was actually using a MH MF to begin with, and while it worked real good for me during the first trip, I switched over to a M/F and liked it just a little better this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Actually switching to ten pd power pro and a spinning outfit works quite well for suspended fish,in a windy or current area.Generally use senkos or flukes myself,cant think of any reason as diameter surely isnt a problem since your using heavier braid,so must be its wind resistance and less bow in the line.
Man, I tried. They would just not eat a fluke or a senko. They would sure enough smack at it, and never get hooked up.
Old 09-11-10, 09:44 AM   #7
Dominic
BassFishin.Com Member

I just switched all my spinning rods over to 20lb power pro w/ flourocarbon leaders. I'm hoping to not go through so much line. After every 2-3 trips I'd have to respool w/ mono, now I'll just cut back the leader a little. Great tips on braid use. Also sound like you had some fantastic fishing. Smallies are alot of fun.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 10:57 AM   #8
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I don't disagree with you - I was actually using a MH MF to begin with, and while it worked real good for me during the first trip, I switched over to a M/F and liked it just a little better this time around.
Different ways to skin the same cat, sounds like you've found the method that works best for you. I am a big fan of braid with contact baits and spinning gear, I'll have to give it a try with a few moving bait techniques.

Last edited by Jrob78; 09-12-10 at 02:03 AM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 02:16 AM   #9
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have been a fan of braid for the last ten years.

How you fish and what equipment you're comfortable with will effect what you use.

I only use spinning tackle for baits under 1/4 ounce. My spinning rods have 8 or 10 pound braid on them, and I use a short mono or fluorocarbon leader most of the time. (Albright knot)

My casting rods are loaded with 40 pound Power-pro Hollow Ace and I use have 12 - 50 pound fluorocarbon or mono leaders attached knotlessly....See the Blog Section for details.

I change leaders depending on the bait....mono for top waters etc.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-10, 08:05 PM   #10
Bassboss

Love braid to man! Sounds like you had a heck of a time out there. I love to get a good spool of good braid sometime soon. Some day!
Old 09-25-10, 08:09 AM   #11
Mac2

CamG,

Forgive my obvious slowness, but why did the braid work so well casting into shallow water with the spinnerbait? Was it the increased sensitivity or because some braids have a tendancy to float and not hang up on the shallow rocks so much killing the sensitivity of a hit as mono may do? Also, with a floating braid on a light lure, and being tightlined, would the floatation of the line affect the speed of the lure's fall in that it may be somewhat slowed down?

I trust completely in what you have stated, but am not clear as to why? Thanks, and Good Fishing, Mac
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 09:22 AM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
CamG,

Forgive my obvious slowness, but why did the braid work so well casting into shallow water with the spinnerbait? Was it the increased sensitivity or because some braids have a tendancy to float and not hang up on the shallow rocks so much killing the sensitivity of a hit as mono may do? Also, with a floating braid on a light lure, and being tightlined, would the floatation of the line affect the speed of the lure's fall in that it may be somewhat slowed down?

I trust completely in what you have stated, but am not clear as to why? Thanks, and Good Fishing, Mac
I think he was referring to braid's low stretch as the advantage in this situation. Correct me if I'm wrong Cam.

BB
Old 09-25-10, 09:47 AM   #13
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I think he was referring to braid's low stretch as the advantage in this situation. Correct me if I'm wrong Cam.

BB
Yes, you would be correct.
Old 09-26-10, 08:49 AM   #14
Mac2

Thanks for the clarification BB and Cam.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.