Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-10, 03:11 PM   #1
LSLURES
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Curing your custom jigs

I have been making jigs a while but i cannot figure out the oven thing. I used powder paint and then after all that i put them in the oven at 350 degrees and the paint started dripping off of them.......practically ruined my 50 jigs sitting in the oven because the paint job was all humped on top. Why did this happen and can anyone tell me what i need to do next time to avoid this?
LSLURES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 03:37 PM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Was the lead clean before starting?
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 11:33 PM   #3
LSLURES
BassFishin.Com Member

Yes it was very clean, I pour my jigs with help from a guy who has connections with soft lead. We are managing to get lead 25 cents per pound which is making it awesome! anyways the lead we get is in ignots or however you spell it and is very clean considering its lead. When we melt it we hardly have any residue on top. So idk what the deal is but it ruined a lot of jigs today.
Old 12-22-10, 08:19 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

It may be too much powder paint? Are you spraying them, dipping them in the jars, or using a fluid bed?

If you're dipping them into the jars, it probably is too much paint. Try a different method to paint them. Also, you may want to try lowering the heat to 300. That might also help.

BB
Old 12-22-10, 10:59 AM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLURES View Post
Yes it was very clean, I pour my jigs with help from a guy who has connections with soft lead. We are managing to get lead 25 cents per pound which is making it awesome! anyways the lead we get is in ignots or however you spell it and is very clean considering its lead. When we melt it we hardly have any residue on top. So idk what the deal is but it ruined a lot of jigs today.
I'm sorry, I wasn't talking about how clean the lead was when it was poured, I talking about what it's like after. Sorry for the confusion.

When I used to make my own jigs and spinnerbaits, we always dipped them in acetone before powdercoating. If we didn't, we'd always have a few that wouldn't come out even.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 01:29 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

It's too much powder paint on the jig heads. When you dip the jigheads in the powder paint you need to do it faster than you are now so that less paint will stick on the jighead. Just play around with it and dip it as fast as you possible can and still get all the jighead covered. It takes a little practice but I promise you this is your problem.
Old 12-22-10, 02:50 PM   #7
LSLURES
BassFishin.Com Member

I thought it was possibly too much paint but i thought i was doing it as fast as possible. I almost think when i preheat the lead head before dipping into the paint its getting too hott and grabbing to much paint when i dip it. Im using my little buddy propane heater to do all of this but i just dont know. Very frustrating. Thanks for all the help
Old 12-23-10, 11:26 PM   #8
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I agree with C-rig, because I did the same thing at first. It is easy to get too much paint. What has helped me the most is using a toaster oven to heat the heads so that I can control how hot they get. It only takes about a second in the paint to cover the jig. I dip straight down then swish as I bring it right back out. Play around with this and go as fast as possible while still covering the head with paint. It takes a while to get figure out how to get just enough paint to cover well but not to run into a lump or fill up the eye. I still have some issues with really little eyes filling in but I use a special mini round file in a Dremel to clean those out.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 01:06 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

When I powder coat my jigheads I use a heat gun that I can set the temperature to different settings. I get the setting that works best for me (I wish I remembered what setting it is so I could tell you). I heat it for the same amount of time every time so I know I am getting the same temperature before dipping the jighead. I will play around with different lenghts of time until I get it to work perfect and then I just repeat the same thing over and over (I would say that 15 seconds infront of the heat gun is a good place to start and make adjustments based on it getting too hot or not hot enough). When I dip the jighead into the powder paint I hold it by the hook with a pair of needle nose pliers because the hook will get hot and I dip it down and to the left and the swish it to the right and then up out of the paint as fast as I can. Too hot and the paint will blister, not hot enough and it won't cover all of the jighead, and if it's in the paint to long it usually will look fine until you go to cure it and then it will drip off or glob up on the head like you are dealing with now. Just try and dip it faster and not so deep in the powder paint and I think you will get it.
Old 12-24-10, 05:50 PM   #10
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Also check out the videos at www.tjstackle.com
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 08:01 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

What's your guy's opinion on how to tell if the temp is right? I've heard the head should come out of the paint looking dull and powdery and quickly melt to a glossy finish. It it doesn't melt, it's too cool, if it comes out melted, it's too hot and there's probably too much paint.

BB
Old 12-26-10, 01:49 AM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
What's your guy's opinion on how to tell if the temp is right? I've heard the head should come out of the paint looking dull and powdery and quickly melt to a glossy finish. It it doesn't melt, it's too cool, if it comes out melted, it's too hot and there's probably too much paint.

BB
That's usually how I judge it. If it's too hot you will most likely have too much paint on it like you said. If it's too cool you might get lucky and get away with it, if you still get enough paint on it but certainly you need to find the right temp.
Old 12-27-10, 03:06 PM   #13
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use a glass and brass alcohol burner that has a wick. I use denatured alcohol in the burner and vary my count when heating the leadhead to suit the size of ball. I first grab the hook bend with my thumb and index finger to heat the ball head. I simply count and turn the ballhead over and heat that as well. On an eighth ounce head I count three on the first side and slightly more than one on the second. I then grab the eye of the jig with hemostats and dip and tap the excess off by hittiing the stats on the jar rim. I don't want the paint to turn shiny until the jig is in the oven at 350 for 25 minutes. I use a toaster oven in the well ventillated garage. By grabbing the eye, you rarely have to clean the eyes. When the powder builds up on the stats, I heat and scrape them off.

On small jigs, like a 1/16 to 1/24 I simply count quite a bit quicker. You adjust the count as you go. Be careful also to notice that different colors react to the initial heating differently. White tends to be "softer" and takes a quicker count than the other to avoid globbing. The perfect count produces an evenly granulated coating. Some folks heat in their ovens before dipping, but in my opinion, the alcohol burner is much quicker and a lot less work. www.wardsci.com has a great supply of burners, just search "alcohol burner" when you go there. Economy Burners are the lowest prices. The smaller burner is $7.50, but I got the larger size for $7.75

Last edited by Mac2; 12-27-10 at 03:13 PM.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.