Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-11, 10:35 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Wheeler/Wilson get together.

I know several of you guys have been to these get togethers before. For me it's a first. So I've been wondering about a few things and hoping to get some answers. First, is there any place nearby the park where I can buy a fishing license? I don't know the area. Second What kind of water are we fishing for those of you who are familiar with the lakes. Shallow, deep, weedy, rocky, deep bluffs, clear or murky? Third What should I bring with me other than my fishing gear? Extra towells pillow and bedding, lawn chair, food and drinks, stuff like that. Do we usually go out for dinner at night or cook at the cabins? And lastly, are we getting out at the crack of dawn and fishing all day or do your guys usually eat breakfast first and come in mid day? Just wondering so I can plan ahead. I'm also hoping for a boat to share with as I'll be a non boater. I'll be happy to help pay for the boats gas in return.
Old 02-13-11, 12:07 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Good questions, and some of that will depend on who you'll be sharing a cabin or boat with.

License - I buy mine online. Alabama offers that here: https://www.alabamainteractive.org/d...welcome.action
7-day non-resident = $26, season = $46. A bit on the steep side, but what are you gonna do? HINT - plan on at least SEVEN DAYS to get your money's worth! Sorry the Devill (Monkey's cousin) made me do it.

The Cabins, http://www.alapark.com/joewheeler/Cabins/ include linens, and "basic housekeeping" stuff. In my experience, extra towel(s) is a GOOD idea - you may not need them, but if you do .

Meals - you have options to do whatever suits your needs. My preference is to have dinner at a resturant - I don't like comming in after fishing all day, cleaning up the boat, prepare dinner, clean up, then attend the mandatory B/S session in the evening - that's me, I don't know about the rest of your "cabin mates". Breakfast is flexible - I don't usually eat a big breakfast first thing, I'd rather get on the water early. I do plan on having supplies for packing a lunch, water, beverages other than water etc. I even bring my own coffee machine (Kuerig), that I need EVERY morning - if you drink coffee and want to bring some Kuerig K-cups, you're welcome to use the machine, but the cabin has a coffee maker if you prefer a community pot of coffee. I understand 'Bama wants to do a fish fry on Friday, so that evening's meal sounds like it's planned. As this gets closer other "community" meals may be planned also.

I haven't been fishing in Alabama - ever - so I don't know much about Wheeler/Wilson but I did buy charts. Some of the local guys will be able to provide some insight as to expected water conditions at that time of year. I'll be on Guntersville mid-march, so I hope to get a little first hand insight in to water quality then.

Lawn chair - I would say yes, I always take one on these kind of trips. My knees are bad, so are my hips, back, and keep moving on upward, so getting up off the ground isn't easy for me. A chair is a necessary piece of equipment. I would also suggest the obvious - bug spray and sun screen - both necessary accessories.

I'm not sure about boaters - who is and who isn't other than myself and NFE (Bryce), we'll have to find out those details and who may have a back seat open. I don't know if Bryce has a co-angler scheduled, I do for the entire week. I don't know about the plans the others have for fishing, but I don't think there is much in the way of docking available at the cabins, so I figure on staying out all day and comming in around 5 or 6 PM to get dinner. Once I pull the boat out of the water, I'll be done for the day. If we had dockage availalbe, I come in about 4 PM tie up, get dinner and go back out until dark.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 02-13-11 at 12:47 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 01:15 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For the fishing license, it's the South, so there's bound to be a walmart close! But ordering online works just as well. Any baitshop near by should have them available too. John or Billy may know of places as they both have fished this lake.

The cabins should have everything you need, but I always bring a pillow anyways. Extra towels might not be a bad idea.

As for meals. At the first get together on G-ville, we ate at a restaurant friday night (We were only there friday and saturday nights though). At KY Lake, everybody kind of brought food to share. From Zook's beer brats to Woody's baked beans.

Saturday night is always the fish fry (although it may be a fish fry/crawfish boil this year). Fish caught saturday are usually kept for the fish fry that night. If you can fillet fish, bring a knife, my dad and I wouldn't mind the help )

Being a longer get together, I'm sure there will be at least one night at a restaurant. Lisa has made her famous homemade biscuits and egg gravy at the other get together for one breakfast and whoever wanted some came and got it. Other than that, breakfast and lunch is optional. Some people preferred to come in for lunch, other brought stuff and ate out on the water.

As we get closer to the event, we'll start figuring out who is bringing what and asking people to bring stuff like food (as well as other things like extra chairs, extension cords, etc.) As long as the weather is nice, I'm assuming we'll be having the fish fry outside (we couldn't get the turkey/fish fryers hot enough at KY lake). We'll be bringing a fish fryer (just got one, can't wait to use it) and LOTS of hush puppies like we did at KY Lake.

I can't help you with what the lake is like and what you might expect to be fishing, but I'm interested in knowing myself. I'll be bringing all my tackle and taking what I need out on the boat, since this seems like its going to be as much tackle show as fishing trip

Lawn chairs are a good idea, especially those folding kinds. Bring one for yourself, possibly an extra if you've got it and don't mind sharing.

Boaters and non-boaters is something I think we need to figure out asap. After talking to Daniel on the chatroom, I think my dad and I will be fishing with him (unless he gets tired of us after sharing a cabin!). And I know a lot of people have someone they want to fish with at least once. I know I want to fish with Bryce once, cause we've got some tackle comparisons to make! Most had boat slips at KY Lake, but we all beached the boats at JB's camp ground for the fish fry Saturday night. Like bassboogieman said, there isn't any docks at the campground so boats will either have to be beached (unless of course you don't want to) or put on the trailers to come in for lunch/dinner, etc.

BB
Old 02-13-11, 01:44 PM   #4
keithdog

I have a folding banquet table I'm planning to bring, and the CRV I'll be driving has a small folding table we can use as well.
Old 02-13-11, 02:09 PM   #5
nobass

keithdog i am coming alone with my boat will b e there on the 18th you are more than welcome to fish out of the boat, it a 18 foot lowes al. with a 70 e tech.
Old 02-13-11, 02:23 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Lawn chairs are a MUST for sitting around and shooting the $hit. Cooking and eating utensils, dishwashing liquid, extra clothes, pillows and blankets, a tool kit, first aid kit (MUST HAVE). Extra coolers if you have the space.

As far as food, I'm not a big restaurant guy, unless it's a social gathering. I tend to eat cold cuts and sandwiches all week. Pull top cans of food are good too (can openers always seem to get lost). It's also a great excuse to eat a bunch of Twinkies and Zingers.
Old 02-13-11, 02:31 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bryce reminded me - Coolers! Make sure you bring a small one if you're taking food out on the boat. We'll have a large cooler as well as a small one for the boat. Which brings up another point, bring what you want to drink on the boat - water, pop, etc. Also whatever you want as far as beer/drinks for sitting around the fire.

Keith, a table is great! I'm sure more than couple will be used for the fish fry, and any other meals we make around the fire.

Anybody know if this place has any grills or small barbecues? If not, we may want to get someone to bring a couple. Also like I said above, propane turkey/fish fryers for the fish, fries, and shut up dogs. We'll be bringing one, but if we get a good turnout, we'll need probably three. (John, I think you brought one or two the last couple times, you bringing those again?)

BB
Old 02-13-11, 04:11 PM   #8
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
keithdog i am coming alone with my boat will b e there on the 18th you are more than welcome to fish out of the boat, it a 18 foot lowes al. with a 70 e tech.
Thanks for the invite pal.
Old 02-13-11, 04:42 PM   #9
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Lawn chairs are a MUST for sitting around and shooting the $hit. Cooking and eating utensils, dishwashing liquid, extra clothes, pillows and blankets, a tool kit, first aid kit (MUST HAVE). Extra coolers if you have the space.

As far as food, I'm not a big restaurant guy, unless it's a social gathering. I tend to eat cold cuts and sandwiches all week. Pull top cans of food are good too (can openers always seem to get lost). It's also a great excuse to eat a bunch of Twinkies and Zingers.

Don't forget camp firewood, and if that state won't allow you to transport other states wood like here in Ohio, sawed up skid wood is safe to bring and burn. They worry about the ash borer insect up here, I have no idea if its a concern.
But as you know I burn a ton of firewood in our firepit each year and Denny
and I enjoyed big bonfires and the get togethers at the Ky. Lake
meeting.
Don't forget tarps also, they come in handy.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 04:56 PM   #10
bamabassman

so far ya'll have answered all the questions for me, hahahaha. i like that. but like anthony said, when the time gets a little closer we will be making a list of who brings what. as for the resteraunt, OPTIONAL. we will decide that when we all start talking more closer to time. the breakfast anthony mentioned is on SUNDAY morning, when everyone is getting up and packing to leave. we all say our goodbyes with our mouths full of biscuits and egg gravy made by lisa,lol.

TIME IS GETTING CLOSER FOLKS!!! i am REALLY starting to get my mind centered on events. my only problem is i haven't found ANYONE that LIVES near the lake(s) that is a guide or pro, or semi pro. at least not one that will help us for free. and those guides want money and live somewhere else. but i am still trying. we may not be able to locate one though. oh well, we'll get what info we need i am sure.

start sharpening up them hooks, oil them reels, monkey time is here NOW!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old 02-13-11, 07:57 PM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
my only problem is i haven't found ANYONE that LIVES near the lake(s) that is a guide or pro, or semi pro. at least not one that will help us for free. and those guides want money and live somewhere else. but i am still trying. we may not be able to locate one though. oh well, we'll get what info we need i am sure.

start sharpening up them hooks, oil them reels, monkey time is here NOW!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
I don't know if thats a problem John. Not with all these talented fisherman here. At least were all going to be in the same boat so to speak, haha. Lisa's makin breakfast sunday?
Old 02-13-11, 10:12 PM   #12
bamabassman

yes.hahahaha.....lisa wil make breakfast on the sunday morning before we all leave. if oyu have never had her and her momma's egg gravy............you're in for a treat keith. secret family recipe. lol.

like we keep secrets, hahaha.
Old 02-14-11, 10:15 AM   #13
bassboogieman

Egg gravy I ain't never heard of such a thing. Sausage gravy, dry beef gravey - yep, but I don't eat either.
So do you eat that on biscuits? Just DON'T tell me you eat it over GRITS.
I guess Eggs Benidict is out of the question?
I'm certainly willing to try it though, but I'll have a long drive ahead of me, I might need a steak to go with it.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 02-14-11 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-14-11, 10:49 AM   #14
WTL

Box fans, water purifier, bug spray, beer, lawyers and guns.
Old 02-14-11, 11:12 AM   #15
bassboogieman

Cabins are supposedly air conditioned . . . . . . but I know you been dere, done dat, so a fan is a good Idea - I'll bring a couple.
Old 02-14-11, 12:18 PM   #16
WTL

Bring a box fan. One air conditioner does not mean the entire place cools down to 60. There are two styles of cabins and we are in the nicer ones, but prepare for it to be warm. (it is may, probably will be fine, but that is one thing that you want to make sure you head off)

Walmart isnt too close (central athens). West end chevron in far west athens probably sells licenses. There is another chevron near the lodge road that might. The lodge club house might. There are a few gas stations near there that might. Theoretically, fishermans resort might sell them.

There are a couple fancy resturants in the area. One is called "subway", don't know if yall have them where you are but ur in for a treat.

There is also a BBQ/Pizza place in town creek that was actually very good last time I was there, perhaps 8 miles from the cabins. There is also a restuarant at the lodge that I think is good. And there might be food at the point of town creek, I want to say I went in there 10 years ago and saw something, but of course 10 years for a country resturant/food joint is a long time.

This place does have the small grilling stands, metal, enough for a few burgers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0201.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	6239
Somebody needs to bring a surf board.
Old 02-14-11, 12:40 PM   #17
WTL

A couple more photos for yall to get ideas about;
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0205.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	6240Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0212.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	6241Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0280.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	6242Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 009.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	6243Click image for larger version

Name:	nnn.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	6244Click image for larger version

Name:	nl.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	6245Click image for larger version

Name:	6a15178r.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	6246

Starting from the left; big nance creek mouth, wilson;
smaller cabin at state park, we all look to have booked the nicer ones but you pass these on the way in;
Wilson dam tailwater, pickwick lake;
Bluffs, pickwick lake, florence alabama;
Looking towards florence from wheeler dam;
Camping on an island in shoal creek, wilson lake;
Wilson dam being constructed; still looks much the same today. Perhaps jackson island was built up some before they left;

Local restaurants per google
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...,0.338173&z=12

Last edited by WTL; 02-14-11 at 12:49 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 04:59 PM   #18
bassboogieman

Nice pics, thank you very much - you're killin' me man, I still got a foot of white stuff on the ground. That is some darn pretty water, and I can't wait to churn it up.
Old 02-14-11, 06:51 PM   #19
bamabassman

<<<<hands gettn sweaty and shaking........can't...........hardly.........type ............
Old 02-14-11, 07:01 PM   #20
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
<<<<hands gettn sweaty and shaking........can't...........hardly.........type ............
Quick, someone hand John a shot of Jack!
Old 02-14-11, 07:05 PM   #21
nofearengineer

I'm also feelin' it, John...a serious case of the fishin' DT's.

Those pictures are enough to push me over the edge.
Old 02-14-11, 09:28 PM   #22
Gbassman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Im planning on being there saturday, im just hoping someone will let me fish with them. i have a little experience on wheeler. A friend of mine fishes the FLW tour and i have practiced there with him several times. i will talk to him and see what info i can get.
Old 02-15-11, 12:23 PM   #23
WTL

I'll be posting more pics, video and information as we get closer. This is a fine way for me to procrastinate.
Old 02-15-11, 01:23 PM   #24
bassboogieman

Quote:
This is a fine way for me to torment the Northern boys.
There, I fixed it for ya.
Hey Bill, why don't you IM me your phone number? I be on Guntersville 3/18 - 26, and John ('bama) and I will be trying to hook up for a meet, maybe dinner one evening and if you'd like to join us it would be great meeting you prior to Wheeler.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 02-15-11 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-23-11, 04:16 PM   #25
WTL

Another suggestion; somebody bring some catfishin stuff. We are having a fish fry, and we are going to need a big supply of fish. This happens to be a very good catfishing location as well as bass, I just dont know too much about going after them. The state record blue cat came out of here, around 110 lbs.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.