Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-11, 05:17 PM   #1
Jeremy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Storing Crankbaits

I'm struggling with having 5 3700's worth of crankbaits, each nicely in their own compartment or having say 2 3700s with my cranks stuffed all together. I'm not really liking either option so I'm thinking maybe I'm missing something? What are others doing?
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 05:29 PM   #2
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Jeremy,
I divide my cranbaits up into several plano boxes. I have a shallow box, medium box, deep diving, jerkbait, lipless cranks, and I have so many in the sexy shad type color that I have a "sexy box." That is how I divide mine up. That way I don't carry every single crank I have on every trip. I look forward to seeing what the other folks have to say.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 06:16 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I do it in almost the same way Everett does....without the "sexy" box LOL.
Old 02-17-11, 06:32 PM   #4
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That makes 3 of us, except for the aforementioned "Sexy Box." My shallow box has cranks that dive 5 feet or less, then one for 5ft through about 17ft or so, and another one for the big hosses like DD-22's. There's a lipless crank box, and also a topwater box. One more box is a grab-bag of jigs, frogs, and a couple chatterbaits.
Old 02-17-11, 06:41 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

I have several 3700 boxes of crankbaits. I have them all divided into catagories such as deeper than 10', less than 10', lipless crankbaits, Sexy Shad, Bomber Firetiger, and Bomber Red Crawdad.

I have disignated boxes for Sexy Shad, Bomber Firetiger, and Bomber Red Crawdad because there are times here on Grand Lake when that is the only crankbait I will throw and it will allow me to carry all of them but I can take the rest of my crankbaits out of the boat to reduce confusion.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 06:54 PM   #6
nofearengineer

I really need to break out some non-rattle cranks. I think rattles might be scaring off some of my Patoka green friends.
Old 02-17-11, 07:28 PM   #7
walkeraviator

I just upgraded from a 4-3600 bag to an 8-3700 bag. So i have tons of space to grow now. As of now i have

Spinnerbait
Jig/Chattebait
Shallow Cranks/Lipless Cranks
Medium Cranks
Deep Cranks
Swim Baits/Topwater

and for now i have two empty 3700's that will be replaced with a 3031 box to put all my soft plastics in. The big thing for me is that I dont own a boat so my stuff has to be mobile. I am already concerned that the new box is too big to hide in Dads smaller boat at KY lake and will be carrying it to the cabin at night. So if size is an issue, packin em into less boxes isnt a bad idea. It just gets old untangling the mess.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 08:14 PM   #8
bamabassman

i have mine in dofferent boxes as well. 2-4 ft, 6-8 ft,the a couple for deep divers.
Old 02-18-11, 12:11 AM   #9
carolina-rig-01

If you don't own a boat and have to keep everything in a tackle bag then I would just go with the cram as many in a box as possible method. This is a chaotic method obviously but it's all about saving space so you are able to squeeze another box or two in the tackle bag.

If you have a boat that has a good amount of storage then I would go with organizing them in as many boxes as you can. You need to be as organized as you can possibly be, this not only saves you time while looking for baits but it will also help you keep track of what you have plenty of and what you need to buy more of, this will save you money as well.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 12:29 AM   #10
cassidyta

I sort my cranks by depth as well. I only have three main boxes (shallow, medium, and deep)
One of the things that I recently started doing was to keep my boxes in the front of the boat well sorted and then putting any extra baits in a cram it in box. I store those boxes under my seats. This way I feel comortable that I have enough of the right bait, but can manage what I am using. If I do lose the baits that are productive, then I will take the time to restock with what is under the seat.
I know that it sounds more time consuming, but in the long run, I find that I am saving enough time on the front end to make up for it.
Old 02-18-11, 10:04 AM   #11
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I sort by brand more than any other thing, but I may need to rethink that at some point. Too many boxes. I like the idea of sorting them by depth.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 02:09 PM   #12
bassboogieman

Mine are by depth, kept in four 3700 boxes - lipless, shallow/wake, medium and deep. Some are "crammed" more than others, but I refuse to add more boxes. I've tried "culling" my crankbaits - to no avail. I sell a dozen or so, and within a week, my box is full again. Maybe I have them packed so tight they're beginning to breed.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 09:55 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

My are all by depth, with a few exceptions. Right now, the cranks I use a lot are in four Falcon FTO boxes. These things are great at keeping cranks nice and neat (not to mention I could never go without their terminal tackle and spinnerbait box), but they do lack in storage area.

Falcon recently sold the FTO line to Plano who changed the size to their standard 3600 and 3700 sizes. The 3700 Plano FTOs may hold more cranks than a 3700 with a single crank to a slot yet still keep them organized. You may want to check these out.

BB
Old 02-18-11, 11:59 PM   #14
Jeremy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the feedback guys...I guess I just have to accept not being able to take everything I own on every trip!
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.