Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-11, 11:31 PM   #1
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser
Default Thieves

Thieves are at it again.
My truck was broken into either late last night or early this morn and the thieves made out with two plano boxes of random lures, a Quantum Cabo, BPS Extreme reel, and a diawa baitcaster that was a gift of Zooker from last year... I could handle the other losses but that last one was a killer. The reel he gave me wasnt anything physically special, but it worked flawlessy and just the fact that it was a gift from him made it priceless. None of the reels were on really expensive rods, but still

My truck was locked but it looks as if they popped the driver door handle somehow. I have a 2002 Ford expedition. I know it wasnt too smart of me to leave the gear in my car, but after a evenings fishing I honestly didnt feel like carting all my gear back into the garage. I guess I thought I was safe in a private community tucked away from the city.

PLEASE guys LOCK your doors and leave nothing of value in your vehicles. Also, if you have the money, get an aftermarket alarm system. This is the SECOND time thieves have robbed my truck, the other time was down at the coast, but I think its about time I save some money up and get something that will deter these scum bags. I know that these guys will not be stealing any of my left over fishing gear once more.

thanks for the rant,

TB
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 11:33 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

OOOHHH MANNNNN!! i hate to hear the tex..........gonna send you a pm tomorrow ok? i think i can help you out on something. sorry man, that jsut rips my heart out. makes me wanna go POSTAL!!
Old 03-09-11, 12:33 AM   #3
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sucks, I am reading way too many stories about this type of stuff. I had a rod grabbed recently but got it back. But really what's the deal with thieves all ofo the sudden? Smash and grab has gotten out of hand. I guess it's a sign of the times.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 07:54 AM   #4
keithdog

Thats such a sickening thing to go through, and for a second time too. Especially the gift from Zooker. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I thhink guys who get caught stealing like that should loose a hand, or two!
Old 03-09-11, 08:09 AM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

That REALLY sucks, tb!
I imagine this kind of garbage is going to get worse and worse
Old 03-09-11, 10:23 AM   #6
nofearengineer

This is why I keep my boat locked in my garage. I don't keep anything valuable in my truck, which I obviously have to park outside.

Alarm systems are nice, but you also have to be willing to donate some lead to the local criminals too (small donations, 147 grains at a time).

I am next door neighbor to a state representative's elderly mother (thank God she's from my party LOL), so that helps (with other things too) I guess. If there were any kind of serious nefarious activity going on out here in the suburbs, I figure it would get nipped in the bud pretty quick.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, TB....and thanks for the reminder. All property owners need to stay on their toes.
Old 03-09-11, 04:44 PM   #7
3dkicker

Hit the local pawn shops and let them know what was stolen. Also check out the local flea markets. You might find your stuff there as well.
Old 03-09-11, 05:20 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Just wanted to add...a locking gas cap or better yet, locking fuel filler door is a must this year. With the price of gas going up, the losers among us think stealing gas is just a great way to get ahead. I really don't mind losing the gas as much as being stranded somewhere with no fuel and no way to go get more.
Old 03-09-11, 05:36 PM   #9
bassboogieman

Your RAM, as do most vehicles of recent vintage, have a baffle in the filler neck to prevent siphoning. That's why there has been a rash of HOLES DRILLED INTO GAS TANKS, with the recent spike in gas prices. Locking gas cap is redundant and doesn't do anything except feed the PEP Monkeys..........
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 05:56 PM   #10
walkeraviator

There has also been a rash of people gettin under larger SUVs and trucks and hackin out your catalytic converters for the Platinum inside. You never know it until you crank the motor and get a rude awakening.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 06:31 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Thanks for that bit of information! I knew about the drilling tanks, but I did not know about the filler neck baffles.

There are below chassis alarm systems out there now. S.T.E.A.L Armor makes one I think. I might have a look at them.

God...if thieves would expend half the energy making an honest living as they did thinking of ways to steal things, they'd be in a lot higher tax bracket.
Old 03-09-11, 11:11 PM   #12
Bender

Sorry to hear about the theft, I'm going out to my truck right now and bringing my boat bag full of tackle into my hotel room where some rods already are. Last year my sister had her converter stolen from right outside of her apartment in a pretty nice place just outside of Indy! She was clueless and went to a mechanic asking why it was so loud all of a sudden.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 11:54 PM   #13
luvzbosox
BassFishin.Com Member

This thieving has gotten terrible. My 12 year old son is out of basketball and baseball for the first season since he was 5. typically he plays spring and fall, but seeing that he has an ankle injury that will need surgery, he is unable to play ball. I promised him that we would spend more time on the lake in order to keep his mind on something positive. And the fact that we did not go 1 single time last year. Well 3 weeks ago, we spent the day on Western Branch Reservoir in Suffolk, VA. He boarded the boat before I backed my truck down the ramp. Apparently, he had set his crutches beside the truck without me knowing. Usually he tosses them in the truck because he also wears a boot, which would supply him enough support while in the boat. Well when our day ended I loaded the boat onto the trailer, pulled up to strap her down, and he said "toss me my crutches, Dad!" Well I looked in the truck, around the boat ramp, on the ground around the prep area, AND NO CRUTCHES. You would think that if someone found a pair of brand new crutches, they would realize that someone must have mistakenly left them. But then again, there are people looking to get about 2 dollars in scrap metal rather than setting them beside the old bait house. MAN, DOES THIS SOCIETY HAVE ISSUES.
Sorry to hear about your loss Bro'. I wish you luck in finding that "special" piece of gear along with the rest of our tackle.
luvzbosox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 12:07 AM   #14
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Thanks guys, hit the pawn shop with no avail but i will be scouring craigslist for a few weeks... Be careful and take your gear in, no matter how tired you are!

TB
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 12:29 AM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

TB, That's really awful, and I'm sorry to hear you lost your gift from Zook. Keep looking and check the pawn shops again soon.

BB
Old 03-12-11, 10:17 PM   #16
TN_Bassin

This is where gear insurance comes in pretty handy, along with pictures of everything you own. Hell, when we go to eat after a day on the water we have to request a table with a window view of the truck and boat. Awful that people can't keep their grimy little hands off other people's stuff.
Old 03-13-11, 12:49 AM   #17
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

alarms arent worth a crap. nobody even flinches when they go off. mine went off after they busted my window out and got in and took 2 bucks out of my console....yeah...2 bucks
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 02:38 PM   #18
66KingFisher

A few years back the family and I was having a birthday lunch at Red Lobster with friends, and while we were seated next to a window, we watched a couple of guys steal a large toolbox from the back of someones pickup truck in the parking lot...It all happened in just a few seconds and took a couple of seconds to realize what we just witnessed. I managed to get a partial tag number and vehicle discription for the owner of the truck, but I have no idea if he ever recovered his stuff or not. I was just blown away that they would do it in broad daylight right in front of a window full of customers eating and watching.

And then last week my daughter had some "friend" steal their HD video camera right outta their living room.....With friends like that who needs enemies?

I HATE THEIVES!!!!!
Old 03-13-11, 05:42 PM   #19
JB

Our bass club of nineteen boats got ripped off at Big Bear marina one year...
it reallly gets to ya...most of us got to replace rods and tackle with insurance money.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 06:06 PM   #20
nobass

man that blows sorry to hear about your lose i park everthing in my yard. my bit pull and boxer work as good alarms

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.