Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-11, 08:35 AM   #1
sikwitit
BassFishin.Com Member

Default soft plastics

with all the different worm and hook sizes, how do you know which hook size works well with the size worm for rigging?
sikwitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 09:43 AM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

To keep it simple...bigger worm, bigger hook. Most of the worms I use are in the 7" to 10" range. On the 7", I'll usually use either a 2/0 or 3/0 hook. The 10" usually get a 4/0 or 5/0. However, I usually won't cut off a hook and replace it with a different size just because I'm swapping worm sizes, so I often wind up keeping a 3/0 hook on all day unless I get hung and break it off, then I'll put on a different size hook to better match the plastic I'm using at the time.
You didn't mention weight size, but just throwing this out there...I use the lightest weight I can get away with and still stay in contact with the bottom. If I'm fairly shallow and there's no wind, I'll go with a 1/4 oz or even a 3/16 oz weight. In deeper water and/or windy conditions, I might have a 1/2 oz weight on. I know that 1/4 oz difference doesn't sound like much just looking at the numbers on a computer screen, but it does make a big difference when you're fishing with it.
Be sure to watch Kevin's (the owner/administrator of this site) videos about all things fishing. There's a lot of good info here: http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-videos/
Old 04-01-11, 09:49 AM   #3
Lvitch
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Use just enough hook not to screw up the action. Most times a 4/0 or 3/0 is fine. I buy 4/0 gammy's in bulk.
Old 04-01-11, 07:19 PM   #4
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use a guideline that the hook's gap must be at least double the size of the plastic's diameter. This allows enough room for the hook to get through the plastic and into the fish's jaw.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 10:05 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

all great advise writtne above.
Old 04-02-11, 01:30 AM   #6
M_A_C_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Number one mistake new bass fisherman make is thinking fish have tiny mouths so tiny hook... I have caught baby juveniles on a full sized spinnerbait bigger than the fish... Bass are veracious and will eat anything they THINK will fit in there mouth. Bass have been found to eat anything from mice, birds, snakes, crayfish, any fish that will fit in there mouth lol... don't be afraid to use a decent size hook... and i would stay away from trouble hooks cuz they'll get ya into trouble if they touch anything and get hung up... get some nice plane ball head jigs 1/8 ounce are usually good for swim worms.
M_A_C_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.