Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-11, 09:21 PM   #1
xr650jkallen
BassFishin.Com Member

Default spinning rod and reel

I've been browsing around trying to find a good spinning rod and reel to throw some wieghtless plastics and some other things and i was wondering if g.loomis rods are worth the money or should i just buy another all star?
xr650jkallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 10:03 PM   #2
JHolmes
BassFishin.Com Member

IMHO, yes! The lightweight and sensitivity of these rods are incredible. After owning G. Loomis rods, it is really difficult for me to want to use anything else.
JHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 10:26 PM   #3
xr650jkallen
BassFishin.Com Member

which are better than the others ive heard the gl2 are not worth the money id like about a 6ft light to moderate with a fast or extra fast action
Old 04-30-11, 10:37 PM   #4
xr650jkallen
BassFishin.Com Member

anybody heard of temple fork outfitters they say they are designed by gary loomis and are very well priced
Old 04-30-11, 10:38 PM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The new Chinese-made All Stars are a waste of money IMO. I haven't gotten to handle the Temple Fork rods, but would take an Abu Garcia Veritas or BPS Carbonlite, Falcon Bucoo, etc. over them.

The G. Loomis IMX rods aren't bad. And are definitely worth it if you can get them at a good price used. Retail price is a little much for them.

My recommendation would be a 7' M or ML power, Fast action rod. If you haven't, take a look at Dobyns rods. The Champion series is comparable to the IMX in performance, but is of much better quality and craftsmanship. They're available in 6'8" and 7' lengths. If you want something a bit cheaper than the low $200 range, check out the Dobyns Savvy or Powell Max or Powell Endurance series rods.

BB
Old 05-01-11, 06:22 AM   #6
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BB, are you on Dobyns payroll? LOL.

For real, you got some good suggestions here. I would echo what BB said about 7' M fast action. I am a huge fan of the BPS carbonlite.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 10:57 AM   #7
Bassboss

Rod power is kinda hard to determine without knowing the kind of cover you're fishing. If you're mainly fishing in rocky waters without much wood or weed cover, then I'd suggest a ML. If you do ya a lot of wood and weed cover, than a M would probably suit you better. I'd also look at Dobyns, I've never used one, but they're reputation is unmatch, in quality, balance and sensitivity (that of which is above Loomis)... I would not hesitate to buy one if I had the money for those caliber of rods! a 7' rod is great if you're not fishing really tight corners like in rivers or under handing brush. Otherwise I think my next spinning rod might be a 7'3". I like the fact that you can get a drop shot more versicle with a longer rod... just something you might want to keep in mind.
Daiwa spinning reels are nice. They've got a good range of sizes, and good features, like they're wide spools, and sealed drags (on most models above the Exceler-HA). I'm happy with my Exceler EXC, although it does lack the sealed drag, I love the castability. It could be a little smoother, and have more refinement (available in the Teirra), but I'm good for now!

I'd also like to add that if sensitivity, and castability is your main goal, then put a light braid on the reel (20lb test or less). Tie a long leader, 6 foot or more, and and you'll be able to feel the bottom and the fish much better then you would be able to with straight mono or fluorocarbon.

Last edited by Bassboss; 05-01-11 at 11:06 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 11:01 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
BB, are you on Dobyns payroll? LOL.
No, unfortunately, I'm not. LOL

If I was, I'd have a dozen of those rods by now!

BB
Old 05-01-11, 09:25 PM   #9
Lvitch
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm not very happy with my loomis imx, I like the action of the rod (6'6" med hevy) but the sensitivity is horrible, everything just feels mushy, but it serves well as my top water rod. I do however love the carrot stick wild I just got. It's a 7' , light as hell, and extremely sensitive. Only $99 also. I think it weighs about 3 oz and is Definatly my favorite. Crushes the loomis.
Old 05-01-11, 10:16 PM   #10
Bender

I have several Loomis rods and for me they were worth the money. I'll admit I got very good deals on them and never paid anywhere near retail. I don't think I would buy one for $400. I also have several Powells and I have and would pay retail for those. For the price, I think they are the best although there are better ones out there that cost more. That being said, I am still using my Cabela's XMLTi for weightless plastics.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 02:23 AM   #11
xr650jkallen
BassFishin.Com Member

im wanting to fish tight cover and under brush thats why im wanting something under 7' I wish somebody has used the temple fork rods i would assume gary loomis's name on them they would have to be worth 100 bucks but idk. I like the carrot stix but idk bout the orange color lol
Old 05-02-11, 09:09 AM   #12
bassboogieman

The best rod I've ever owned for weightless, finesse plastic was a 2007, 7'0" Medium/fast, Kistler Helium LTA. That rod was fantastic, and if you can find one (or a 2008) on the secondary market, it would be a great choice. IMO it was a better rod than the '09 Helium II (LTX) rod, I'm currently using.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 09:24 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr650jkallen View Post
im wanting to fish tight cover and under brush thats why im wanting something under 7' I wish somebody has used the temple fork rods i would assume gary loomis's name on them they would have to be worth 100 bucks but idk. I like the carrot stix but idk bout the orange color lol
Neither of those rods would be one of my top few choices. Heck, not even in my top 10. With e21's history, I'd be hesitant to buy any carrot stick. TFO doesn't have a bad history, but the rods just don't seem up to par with others in the price range. And I'm sure Gary Loomis didn't have as much to do with the rods as most people think.

You'd be better of going with a company that's either stood the test of time, or has a great reputation:

Powell has been around for and making fishing rods for 100 years (their Endurance series was to celebrate their 100th anniversary). They make great rods, and many believe their are the best rod for the money. I think they are a great combination of quality components, performance, and price.

Loomis, while not up to the craftsmanship level I'd expect out of rods of their prices, are great performing rods. I don't know about Lvitch, but my IMX was my most sensitive rod until I got a couple Dobyns Champion Extremes in my hand. If you don't mind buying used, you can get great prices on used Loomis rods as their resale value sucks.

Shimano rods may be another good choice. Before I found Dobyns Rods, I was ready to commit to an arsenal of Shimano Cumara rods. Since they own G Loomis, they're incorporating Loomis technologies into their rods, that IMO, are much better built.

St. Croix (while I'm not a big fan), builds great rods. From their Premier and Avid rods all the way up to the Legend Elites and Extremes, St. Croix has a huge following. The craftsmanship I've seen in St. Croix rods in nearly unmatched by most rods in the market.

Abu Garcia has been in the reel market for years, and has also been making what many of us refer to as "Wal-Mart Special" rods that they pair with their inexpensive reels and sell as combos in big chain stores. But over the past like year and a half, AG has really stepped up their game. They've produce a line of rods that are arguably better than any others in the $100 range, and rods like the $100 Veritas have feature unheard of in that price range; like SiC guides.

And finally, my personal choice for rods now: Dobyns. Gary Dobyns (who helped design Powell Rods) started his own rod company a couple years ago. The first batch of rods had a lot of breakage issues. But unlike companies like e21, Dobyns didn't continue to screw people over. Gary immediately looked for a different manufacturer for his blanks. With the new manufacturer, the rods were all revamped with better components and better quality overall. The craftsmanship of these rods blow any Loomis I've seen out of the water. I'd say they're probably as close to a high end St. Croix in terms of craftsmanship that you'd be able to get on the USDM. Like I said, I was ready to commit to a boat full of Shimano Cumara rods; and now I have 4 Dobyns and can't wait for my next. From the Savvy Series up the Champion Extreme, all the rods perform great and feel even better in hand.

Most any rod from any of the companies I listed above would be my choice over an e21 or a TFO "Loomis" stick. As would rods from Falcon, Daiwa, Damiki, Lamiglas, Lew's, Phenix, Power Tackle, and maybe even Quantum. (you know, just incase I didn't make my point above, lol. )

BB
Old 05-03-11, 07:45 AM   #14
xr650jkallen
BassFishin.Com Member

dang they dont carry those dobyns rods at bass pro i guess im gonna have to order one off ebay i hate waiting thanks everybody for the input i think it is much need when making a larger purchase like this
Old 05-03-11, 08:31 AM   #15
BigBassin144

I'd suggest ordering from Tackle Warehouse (www.tacklewarehouse.com). Free shipping on orders over $50, and they ship fast too. I usually have my stuff in 3-4 days from California.

BB
Old 05-03-11, 05:25 PM   #16
xr650jkallen
BassFishin.Com Member

awesome im also looking at a reel but im stuck between a revo premier and a quantum smoke granted i like the smoke mainly for the looks but i do like the ceramic drag also but i already have a revo s and i love it so i really think im gonna stay with abu. what do yall think? is there others i should consider also in the same price range?
Old 05-03-11, 08:47 PM   #17
Fish30114
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sounds like the reels you are referring to are baitcasters, but maybe not, there isn't a Quantum Smoke spinning reel I don't think....but their PTI is sweet, I'd go a 30 series for what you are talking about. the Revo spinner or 'nanoshield' model is badass though. If you are talking about the baitcasters, I have a Smoke 150 series and it is good, but to be honest, if you are proficient with your thumb, the new Lew's entry level reel, around 90-100 bucks is just as smooth, and I like it almost as well, the anti-backlash function of the smoke is better though, everything else, I can't tell enough difference to justify the cost difference....maybe says more good about the Lews new stuff than bad about the Quantum though!

Also, I don't own one, but have fished the Dobyns rods--very nice, but I really still prefered my Shimano Crucials and St Croix Avids over them....

Good luck on your rig!
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 10:35 PM   #18
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvitch View Post
I'm not very happy with my loomis imx, I like the action of the rod (6'6" med hevy) but the sensitivity is horrible, everything just feels mushy, but it serves well as my top water rod. I do however love the carrot stick wild I just got. It's a 7' , light as hell, and extremely sensitive. Only $99 also. I think it weighs about 3 oz and is Definately my favorite. Crushes the loomis.
Wow... I have not seen many, if any comments such as this about IMX rods. A model of rods that touts superior sensitivity by a lot of anglers, yet relegated to the duty of chucking topwater by you.

No knock on you Lvitch at all. Actually, I just think it's kind of cool.

It just goes to show what I have always believe and that is sensitivity is subjective for sure, and this is coming from someone (me) in whose hands an ugly stick is sensitive enough to feel a 4" bass take a 5" senko.

To the subject, since you're throwing plastics, I would find a rod that gives you the best perception of sensitivity to you that also feel and it doesn't have to be a loomis.
Old 05-04-11, 12:52 AM   #19
tomegun
BassFishin.Com Member

My light most sensitive rod is my Kistler med-light LTA.
I have a couple of GLoomis GLX's, they're ok.
I think the St Croix Premier's the best $100 rods. i got a couple.
I got a 6'8 Shimano Clarus for my nephews. And, I can't put it down.

I only dropshot and wacky with spinning rods. Everything else is baitcasters. Cept for my Loomis IMX mh with braid and senko's , I use throwing into tullies while froggin.
tomegun is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.