Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-11, 12:56 AM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default Tigerodz Raising Money for Tornado Victims

I just noticed on Facebook that Tim at TigeRodz and one of his sponsored fisherman, Scott Canterbury from the FLW Tour, posted that he would be donating 15% of sales from his Silver Series rods and Scott would be matching the donation to the American Red Cross for relief to the tornado victims in Alabama. I have one of these rods in the 7' crank bait series and it is an awesome piece of equipment. The rods are built on North Fork Composite blanks. Just thought I would spread the word if you are looking to add a new horse to the stable.
Old 05-04-11, 03:24 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Tim and I have had our disagreements in the past, but I do appreciate what he is doing there.
Old 05-05-11, 12:35 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Updated "Don't forget 15% of each rod that is sold from TigeRodz until the end of May, 15% will be donated to the American Red Cross and Scott will match the donation up to $1000. On top of that all rods are 20% off (excluding Canoe Creek)." He must have removed it off the Silver Series and extended through his entire line.
Old 05-05-11, 02:59 AM   #4
M_A_C_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

1000 dollars?... That wouldn't pay for a dog house, I'm always careful of charity donations because if you go into the paper work of all them most of them will say that only 1 percent of the proceeds go to helping the charity... which means the organization gets a million dollars they only give 10,000 to help. By no means am I bad mouthing the good whole hearted charity's, I'm saying they don't exist unless someone profits off of it.
M_A_C_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 10:50 AM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_A_C_K View Post
1000 dollars?... That wouldn't pay for a dog house, I'm always careful of charity donations because if you go into the paper work of all them most of them will say that only 1 percent of the proceeds go to helping the charity... which means the organization gets a million dollars they only give 10,000 to help. By no means am I bad mouthing the good whole hearted charity's, I'm saying they don't exist unless someone profits off of it.
How much are you donating then?
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 11:09 AM   #6
WTL

Can't argue that its good business and a clever marketing ploy either, but it does help. They can use that thousand dollars, and its not easy for a business that makes rods to do without 1000. They are in a competitive industry and need every dollar.
Old 05-05-11, 04:49 PM   #7
M_A_C_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
How much are you donating then?
None cuz I know where the money goes lol
Old 05-05-11, 07:50 PM   #8
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Actually, it could be more than $1000. Tigerodz is donating 15% of each rod sold. Scott is then MATCHING that amount up to $1000.
If Scott donates $1000, that means a minimum of $2000 is being donated
Old 05-06-11, 01:39 AM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
That has got to be the most ignorant thing I have heard on here in a long time. A guy is willing to donate $1,000 out of his own pocket to help families who just lost everything that they worked their whole life for and all you can do is make smart *** comments about how he is only donating $1,000? Then you joke about how you aren't donating anything because you know where the money goes? You have got to be kidding me
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 08:44 AM   #10
jasonfish320

Quote:
This is not always the case.. Example: I have run a company for 7 years and we donate monthly to a local Children's Miracle Network chapter (and various others) and we do this regardless of revenue, in fact the last two years we have been thousands in the RED and STILL have donated to charities! Most of these companies donating are small business and are NOT making big profits.

Bubba, thanks for posting. I don't own a rod from TigerRodz, but I am definitely going to check them out
Old 05-06-11, 09:11 AM   #11
CamG

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss.

Just an FYI, I am associated with two charities. One is a kids hunting camp in Oklahoma that is ran by my good friend. Guess what...100% of the money I and others donate goes directly to the kids camp. ALL of the work that is done at camp (cook, clean, lodging, guides, prizes, etc.) is done by volunteers.

The other who I have been associated with is Liv for a Cure. I happen to know the family who started the organization, and the only people that receive any money is the CF Foundation and Hospitals. They do have bills like any other organization, and they do have a couple clerical positions that they must pay - but get this - they are able to give back 95% of the $ that comes in. Not too bad.
Old 05-06-11, 10:04 AM   #12
M_A_C_K

When our house burnt down with no insurance... A local restaurant hosted a fund raising charity for us... They made a lot of money off it... the only thing we got was what friends directly had given us which was mostly canned foods which I was greatful for... The restaurant made a lot of money off of it. I was just speaking from experience. Wasn't trying make enemys guys... I was talking about big charitys... I'm sure this guy is a great guy. Ignorance is bliss, I wish I didn't know about things like thishttp://blog.al.com/live/2010/09/loca...t_possibl.html
Old 05-06-11, 10:50 AM   #13
Bender

That is terrible when some a$$holes take advantage of the suffering of others. Sorry to hear about the loss of your house too. I have seen the Red Cross Disaster Relief van going down my street to my neighbors' houses so I donated directly to them, don't need any more rods for now. If you are down here please also think of donating your time, for sure that will directly help people. And it makes you feel good. (and sore muscles)
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 11:24 AM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

While I don't completely agree with Mack, I don't completely disagree either. The sad fact is that many charities are extremely inefficient. With much of their donations going to administrative and fundraising expenses.

However, according to the BBB, 90% of donations to the red cross go to program expenses. So for every dollar donated to the Red Cross, 90 cents go to their programs. Now this doesn't translate directly into what victims gets, but is spent on shelter, food, clothes, etc. for victims, transportation and housing for volunteers, free training for volunteers, etc. And many times, things like these are better, as handing money victims of a natural disaster like the AL Tornadoes doesn't do as much good since the Red Cross can spend $0.91 cents more efficiently due to buying power than a small group of victims could.

You should ALWAYS check out charities with a reliable source (like the BBB) before donating. Administrative expenses and what their CEO is paid are usually a good indicator of whether your money will be going to the people running the thing or actually to help victims. According to the BBB, the CEO of the Red Cross was compensated (includes salary, benefits, expenses, etc.) approximately $47,000.

My point is, not all charities are worthy of your money, so Mack's skepticism is understandable. But it's probably a safe bet that your money is actually going to help victims when you donate to the Red Cross.

BB
Old 05-06-11, 02:26 PM   #15
WTL

I think all charities are going to be inefficient to an extent. I went to Tuscaloosa over the weekend to help, and I saw a lot of waste of the resources collected for aid. But I don't know how things could have been made more efficient. In such an ad hoc situation, you are basically forced to overdonate so that inefficiencies and all, you dont run into shortages.
Old 05-06-11, 03:43 PM   #16
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
While I don't completely agree with Mack, I don't completely disagree either. The sad fact is that many charities are extremely inefficient. With much of their donations going to administrative and fundraising expenses.

However, according to the BBB, 90% of donations to the red cross go to program expenses. So for every dollar donated to the Red Cross, 90 cents go to their programs. Now this doesn't translate directly into what victims gets, but is spent on shelter, food, clothes, etc. for victims, transportation and housing for volunteers, free training for volunteers, etc. And many times, things like these are better, as handing money victims of a natural disaster like the AL Tornadoes doesn't do as much good since the Red Cross can spend $0.91 cents more efficiently due to buying power than a small group of victims could.

You should ALWAYS check out charities with a reliable source (like the BBB) before donating. Administrative expenses and what their CEO is paid are usually a good indicator of whether your money will be going to the people running the thing or actually to help victims. According to the BBB, the CEO of the Red Cross was compensated (includes salary, benefits, expenses, etc.) approximately $47,000.

My point is, not all charities are worthy of your money, so Mack's skepticism is understandable. But it's probably a safe bet that your money is actually going to help victims when you donate to the Red Cross.

BB
This has nothing to do with MACK and his skepticism - hell, I'm skeptical as well on certain charities. It has everything to do with him criticizing someone who is donating "only" $1000.

And yes it sucks your house burnt down MACK, but if you were able to receive any donations at all, you should just be happy and not ***** about a local business making money off of you. It's not their fault you didn't have insurance.
Old 05-06-11, 08:28 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Mack I am sorry if I came down too hard on you, but I am not sorry for being bothered by your comment. When you said he is only donating $1,000? And "That wouldn't pay for a doghouse" that showed me that you are somewhat ignorant towards this situation because the guy that owns TigeRodz is Tim Knox the Scott that is willing to match the donations up to $1,000 is not the owner of the company. He is Scott Canterbury http://www.flwoutdoors.com/community...home.cfm?uid=4 who is just sponsored by TigeRodz. So the fact that Scott is willing to match the donations up to $1,000 means that the total donations raised from TigeRodz could easily exceed $1,000 and maybe buy several doghouses. I too am sponsored by TigeRodz but that has nothing to do with my stance on your post, if I was able to I would donate $1,000 to the victims but we are not able to donate such a large amount of money right now so we will donate what we can. I can understand being skeptical about who you donate money through but you need to do a better job of knowing when to open your mouth and when you keep quiet.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 09:15 PM   #18
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Like BigB, I can see where Mack might be skeptical. A TON of the big charities draw in millions, and most give back very little to the ones money is being raised for.
I used to know of a website that told you exactly how much each charity actually gave to the recipients. If I remember correctly, very little red cross donations made it to the victims, although could be wrong on that.
St Jude's childrens hospital is one of the better ones on that score. Several people here have bought rods from Tim, and their praise of not only the rods, but him personally has been outstanding. Until proven otherwise, I'll assume that Tigerodz is doing exactly what they claim.

And Mack....get some insurance! I hope you have at this point.

BUT...let's not start running down someone until we know that they're screwin people over on donations.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.