Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-12, 11:45 PM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Week of July 4

The first two days of my week-long fishing trip during July 4th week are detailed in this thread.

Here is a recap of the rest of the week.

Monday, July 2 - No fishing due to outdoor chores and major storms.

Tuesday, July 3 - A friend of mine from work (Jason) and his 12 year old son (Tucker) came over from a nearby family cabin to spend a few hours fishing with me. Jason does a fair amount of walleye fishing, but has only bass fished a couple times before and never with me. Tucker had never bass fished or caught a bass before. We went to 4 different spots during our 3 1/2 hour outing and were fortunate enough to catch fish at every one of them!

Jason nailed a decent one (2lb 11oz) within 10 minutes of us hitting the water:

About the time I was starting to get worried that it was going to be a long morning for Tucker because his dad and I had caught all 6 fish so far, he got his first bite and landed the first Smallmouth of his life...1lb 10oz:

About 30 minutes later, he reeled in his first Largemouth ever, and it was a good fighter from down in a good weed bed. It weighed in at 2lb 6oz.

We finished the outing with 19 fish total - Jason 9, Tucker - 6, me - 4. I was elated, as I was just hoping they would each catch at least a couple. Jason pulled in a 2-14 and 2-7 to go with his earlier 2-11, and those were the 3 biggest of the morning.

Some other friends arrived at the lake that afternoon and I took their high school senior-to-be son (Ryan) out with me that night. We were only out for about an hour and he caught the only two fish, one dink and a new PB for him - a 3lb 14oz Largemouth! Due to some "technical difficulties", I don't have a picture of that one.

Wednesday, July 4 - Ryan and I were on the water by 5:30 on the morning of the 4th, and I landed a decent 2-10 LM almost right away. After that, however, Ryan took over and he ended up with 12 fish to my 5. To make that even better, he eclipsed his new PB from the night before with a 4lb 0oz, 18.25" LM!

Thursday, July 5 - Jason came back over and we had an absolute blast on Thursday morning! He caught a 2-13 LM on the very first cast of the morning and it just kept getting better from there! Ten minutes after his first fish, I boated a 3-3 LM and ten minutes after that, I caught the biggest bass of the year so far for us on this lake - 4lb 2oz, 18.25"! I've never had a morning like this on this lake where someone else has been with me and we've caught so many nice bass. Between us we caught 26 fish, one over 4 pounds, five more over 3 pounds, and five more at 2-10 or better. Jason's best five bass went 15-12 and mine were 14-13. Here is my 4-2 LM and a 3-7, 17.75" SM that was his biggest of the morning:

After all the guests were gone for the week, I made a couple of solo outings and also made 3 trips out with my wife, Kaye. She continued the trend of everyone else in the boat out-fishing me by taking me down 22-15 on fish count.

Here is just under 9 pounds of LM from one of my solo outings:

And Kaye didn't want any photos until she got at least a 3 pounder, which she finally got on our last outing -- 3 pounds even:

It was a week of great FRIENDS, great FISHING, great FOOD, great FIREWORKS, and just a lot of FUN memories made!

We are looking forward to heading back up there Wednesday morning this week for another 5-day stay, this time with all of my wife's family as our guests!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 11:58 PM   #2
joedog

Looks like a good time was had by all!

Thanks for the share.
Old 07-16-12, 12:01 AM   #3
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Wow, that's a lot of fishing, fish and good looking fish too! Sounds like you all had a great time...Thanks for sharing!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-12, 12:07 AM   #4
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
Wow, that's a lot of fishing, fish and good looking fish too! Sounds like you all had a great time...Thanks for sharing!
I have to cram in as much fishing as I can now during the summer because bass season doesn't open here until Memorial Day weekend and we usually close our cabin for the season somewhere around mid-to-late October.
Old 07-16-12, 12:13 AM   #5
Jrob78

Awesome trip and great report!!
Old 07-16-12, 12:22 AM   #6
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
I have to cram in as much fishing as I can now during the summer because bass season doesn't open here until Memorial Day weekend and we usually close our cabin for the season somewhere around mid-to-late October.
Makes sense and if I could fish that much I would too. I don't blame ya in the least
Old 07-16-12, 12:29 AM   #7
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
Makes sense and if I could fish that much I would too. I don't blame ya in the least
I was also a part of a HUGE 3-year system replacement project at work that was implemented last year, and vacation was restricted to a 2-day max for pretty much the last 2 years of that project. Now I have a little bank of vacation time built up and plan to spend 4 different full weeks up at the lake this year (two down, two yet to come!), plus a few other 3 to 5 day stays as well. And hitting the 25 year mark at work last month means I will accrue an additional full week of vacation by next July 1...whatever will I do with that extra FIVE days off come next summer?!
Old 07-16-12, 12:57 AM   #8
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
I was also a part of a HUGE 3-year system replacement project at work that was implemented last year, and vacation was restricted to a 2-day max for pretty much the last 2 years of that project. Now I have a little bank of vacation time built up and plan to spend 4 different full weeks up at the lake this year (two down, two yet to come!), plus a few other 3 to 5 day stays as well. And hitting the 25 year mark at work last month means I will accrue an additional full week of vacation by next July 1...whatever will I do with that extra FIVE days off come next summer?!
Only time will tell...LOL! 25 years at the same job...congrats to you on that milestone, I'd say between the short bass season and the dedicated time you've put in it is well deserved!

I hit 15 years of service this month and have 65 days of vacation time squirreled away myself I'm going to have to find a good way to put it use eventually
Old 07-16-12, 06:44 AM   #9
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I can't thimk of a better way to spend the week of the 4th. Congrats on making more good memories!
Old 07-16-12, 02:54 PM   #10
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Very nice fish guys! Glad you took these guys out and spread the goodness of bass fishing around .

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.