Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-12, 12:59 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Arrgh...missed a great picture!

I'm sure some of the photogs on the board will agree...there is nothing worse than seeing something rare, and not being able to get a picture of it quickly enough!

I was sitting on the couch yesterday, when I noticed a large bird swoop in and land on the end of a broken branch on one of the big trees that hang over my back yard.

At first, I didn't think a lot about it, but then I noticed the unusual coloring. Unlike the red-tailed, broad-winged, and sharp-shinned hawks that hang around my neck of the woods, this bird had a long, skinny tail, and a blue-grey color. It was definitely a raptor, so I jumped up to grab my camera. Unfortunately, it must have seen me in the window, and it took off. I tried to snap some picks of it flying off, but all I got was blurry trees (my camera was still on auto-focus from the hummingbirds a while back).

I hurriedly looked up raptors for Southern Indiana and found out it was a Northern Goshawk...very rare for Indiana...much less Southern Indiana.

It looked just like this:

Can you say DOH!?!?!

I'm definitely going to keep my camera with me at all times for the next few weeks. One in a million shot probably, but I'd love to have my own picture of this awesome bird.
Old 10-22-12, 01:57 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I love raptors. There's a broad-winged hawk, maybe a pair of them, that lives in the woods behind my work, and they are often out hunting as I'm leaving to go home. I've seen some red-tailed hawks around, too....that hoarse scream they have will give you chills.
I missed a shot at a bald eagle while we were at Pickwick 2 weekends ago....he flew over us at maybe 50-75 feet while most of us were down at the bank bobber fishing. My camera was 10-15 feet behind me on a bench.....might as well have been on the moon for all the good that did me.
Old 10-22-12, 02:52 PM   #3
keithdog

Too bad you missed the shot. It seems to always go down like that unless you have the camera always hanging around your neck. We have a lot of sharp shinned hawks around here. They are very similar to the Goshawk.
Old 10-22-12, 04:15 PM   #4
nofearengineer

You know what, Keith...what I saw may have been a sharp-shinned. All of the SS I have seen were always more brown, but looking at pictures, they say those are the juveniles. The adults are more gray like the goshawks.

Either way, it's an uncommon bird. A great learning experience anyway. I'm still going to keep my camera handy!
Old 10-22-12, 05:52 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Better luck next time man. It always sucks when the camera isn't handy in situations like this. We get a hawk that comes around occasionally and I never seem to be able to get to my camera before he's gone.

And it seems you never have enough reach for the next bird shot anyways. My uncle's 300mm is a good improvement, but I keep finding myself saying, if I only had a 400mm...

BB
Old 10-25-12, 08:11 PM   #6
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The only birds I really appreciate(other than the ones I shoot to eat) are raptors. Stay sharp, if he's in the area, he might be back. I have an Osprey that I call my "fishing partner", always hanging out at the same place on the lake, loves chasing my swimbaits. I get bummed if he's not there, and a lot of times, I will just sit there and watch him fish. I worked with raptors(injured) in CO. for some time, volunteering at a rehab center for them, it was always cool seeing all the different kinds, although it was under unfortunate circumstances.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 08:26 PM   #7
bamabassman

dog, there is an osprey nest on b.b. comer bridge. ilove watchig the momma fish for her babies in the springtime.

one of these days i hope to get a REALLY decent camera so i can take some pics of things ..other than dinks. lol.
Old 10-26-12, 10:57 AM   #8
lilmule

Sometimes you just get lucky keep a camera in the boat.

lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 12:26 PM   #9
bassboogieman

Quote:
Arrgh...missed a great picture!
Bryce, I was afraid to open the post. I though, perhaps, one of our mutual "aquaintinces" may have dropped by for the weekend. Then again, that pic would certainly not be suitable for this "family style" website.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 02:08 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Bryce, I was afraid to open the post. I though, perhaps, one of our mutual "aquaintinces" may have dropped by for the weekend. Then again, that pic would certainly not be suitable for this "family style" website.
Bruce, the only way that would have played out is a snuff film.
Old 10-26-12, 02:18 PM   #11
nofearengineer

I had to settle for a picture of this guy I saw while driving home from a job. Unfortunately, he was hiding behind a power line.

That it was raining, getting dark, and all I had was a 200mm, all combined to make it not my best. I'm still looking for that perfect raptor picture.
Old 10-26-12, 03:16 PM   #12
bassboogieman

Quote:
I'm still looking for that perfect raptor picture.
Be careful of attempting to get a close-up of a Raptor, may be hazzardous to your health.

P.S. (Bryce) I nealy pizzed my self over the snuff film remark. That was FUNNY!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 10:19 PM   #13
lilmule

Raptor not velociraptor,roughly 71 million years or so off
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 11:53 PM   #14
nofearengineer

I'm thinking more Utahraptor.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.