Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-13, 10:43 PM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Shortest high school football game ever?

It was homecoming here in Owatonna this past Friday night and our number 1 ranked, 5-0 Huskies were hosting the perennial doormats of the conference who came in 0-5. There was a possibility of severe storms Friday evening and into the night, but they held off long enough to get the game underway at 7:00 p.m. Our #1 RB, who set single season school records for yards and TDs last year in our run to a state runner-up finish, went 67 yards for a score on the first play from scrimmage. After our defense pushed them back 10 yards, we blocked a punt for a safety. Now up 9-0, we ran the free kick back 50 yards and our halfback went 16 yards for a TD on our first play of that possession. Yikes, we could score 100 points in this one (we have had two other games this year where our starters didn't play a single down in the second half because we had such a big halftime lead, not sure they would have even played the entire first half in this one!).

Three plays for them went nowhere, and a good punt return for us set us up inside their 30. One run and one pass later and we're at the 1 yard line. TD #3 for our RB comes on the next play and it's 23-0 LESS THAN 6 MINUTES into the game. He now has 4 carries, 93 yards and 3 TDs. He ran for 297 yards and 5 TDs last week and has the one-game record of 310 yards last year.

Mercifully for the other team, that's when the lightning strikes started. After waiting over an hour, the game was officially cancelled and called a FINAL at 23-0 due to lightning. Total elapsed game time was 5:53. As far as I know, all the other area games that were impacted by lightning on Friday night were continued and finished on Saturday.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-13, 11:47 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

WOW, That's wild. I wonder how badly the lopsided score would have been after 4 quarters?! That must be one heck of a team you have there.
Old 10-07-13, 11:06 AM   #3
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
WOW, That's wild. I wonder how badly the lopsided score would have been after 4 quarters?! That must be one heck of a team you have there.
We have 7 classes in MN -- lowest is 9-man, then from 1A up through 6A (biggest schools are 6A). We are class 5A and probably one of the bigger schools in that class. We returned several key players from last year's state runner-up squad with the one big missing piece being a record-setting 2+ year starter at QB. Our new QB has stepped right in and taken over nicely. I plan to share more info about him in a different post, but I just haven't gotten time to do so yet.

We beat the #2 team in 5A (at the time anyway) a few weeks ago ON THE ROAD. They just happen to be in our conference. We made a 38 yard FG on the last play of the game to win, 24-21. #1 vs. #2 games don't always live up to the hype, but this one surpassed it, just an all-around high-quality high school football game. We happen to be in different sections for playoffs and on the opposite side of the state bracket, so there is potential (if a LOT of things go right for both of us) for a rematch in the 5A state championship game.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 08:31 PM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I was listening to the radio the other day. Better watch those winning margins....geeze. I guess last place deserves a trophy too.

Bully charges filed after gamehttp://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...101510025.html

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.